Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   '72 911T Hot Rod Build (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/1107367-72-911t-hot-rod-build.html)

myflat6 12-28-2018 01:32 PM

I remember following your work - it came out great. Yes, cadmium is difficult to find in CA - in fact, I recently found how difficult it was even to find old school hot tanks at shops in CA - they all have to use biodegradable solvents which they told me are almost worthless for serious parts cleaning. I learned that the zinc is actually silver/not yellow - it is the different chromate finishes (yellow, clear/blue, black) that provide the color. Anyway, I think the SWB cars had more cadmium plating than the LWB cars - but could be wrong. I understand that some of the parts that they used cadmium were actually done with clear cadmium. That is the beauty of this hot rod project - I dont have to go too overboard with originality. I didnt separate many of my parts into color groups - most went in a large bag for the yellow chromate finish - some might gasp at this :) My other two cars are very original and it can take the fun out of driving them, etc (I am always paranoid that the original paint will get damaged) - where this car will be a blast to enjoy since it is already a step away from original. Dont get me wrong, I am trying to keep a mostly factory look - but not going overboard. My theme with this car is a hot rod someone would have done in the late 70's/early 80's - such as taking parts from other Porsche models, etc - the old school socal hodrodding way :thumbup:

Oh, and one more thing to get you thinking about all of this re-plating stuff -- hydrogen embrittlement -- my buddy who is an engineer mentioned this to me. We should be fine since most of the hardware is marked 8.8 or less - but there are some bolts I may not treat for precaution.

WBYonder 12-29-2018 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by myflat6 (Post 15525513)
^verrrry nice. I have to get some of those beauties. Tell me more about your setup...

Yeah, I guess you noticed some non-stock bits there! :p I made some pretty extensive changes, largely thanks to Elephant Racing. I’m not sure if Chuck has kids, but if he does I probably paid for braces on one of his kids!

In the front, I put in RSR struts with raised spindles, polybronze bushings, turbo tie rods, bump steer kit, monoballs, 22mm hollow Sanders TBs, strut braces and sway bars I bought years ago from Smart Racing. In the rear, I put Wevo swaybar mounts in, Swayaway adjustable spring plates, polybronze bushings, monoballs, 29mm hollow Sanders TBs, Bilstein Sports and Smart Racing sway bar.

I just got the car back on the road this fall. With the limited driving I’ve done in it, I’m extremely happy with how it came out. That also may have something to do with the 2.9L mfi lump I have in the back, too! :)

myflat6 12-29-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by WBYonder
Yeah, I guess you noticed some non-stock bits there! :p I made some pretty extensive changes, largely thanks to Elephant Racing. I’m not sure if Chuck has kids, but if he does I probably paid for braces on one of his kids!

In the front, I put in RSR struts with raised spindles, polybronze bushings, turbo tie rods, bump steer kit, monoballs, 22mm hollow Sanders TBs, strut braces and sway bars I bought years ago from Smart Racing. In the rear, I put Wevo swaybar mounts in, Swayaway adjustable spring plates, polybronze bushings, monoballs, 29mm hollow Sanders TBs, Bilstein Sports and Smart Racing sway bar.

I just got the car back on the road this fall. With the limited driving I’ve done in it, I’m extremely happy with how it came out. That also may have something to do with the 2.9L mfi lump I have in the back, too! :)

Oh man sounds awesome - would love to ride in it to see how it goes! I am obviously doing pretty modest stuff, but who knows if I will want to get more aggressive after it is done :) we all have the sickness :) now you will also have to share the details of the 2.9! Did you use a Mag block? I will most likely build my motor out of my 2.4 since it is numbers matching - but have read all the pros and cons of Mag vs Al cases. I was also planning on retaining the MFI although the pump ads weight back there.

myflat6 12-29-2018 02:29 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Removed the leather wrap and stripped the paint from the 380mm VDM wheel I had bought (see post #13 - it was a piece of crap, but cheap :) stripped down to metal and treated various rust pits with the PPG stuff. Filled pits with spot filler putty and have sprayed two coats of self etching primer. Will sand and fill as necessary. Will topcoat with 2k ceramic. For those interested in learning more about these wheels (I continue to learn more about the longhoods - maybe most on here already know this stuff), here is an interesting read: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...eels-THE-TRUTH

Here is the look I am going for (keeps with my theme of taking parts from other Porsche's)

WBYonder 12-29-2018 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by myflat6 (Post 15528527)
Oh man sounds awesome - would love to ride in it to see how it goes! I am obviously doing pretty modest stuff, but who knows if I will want to get more aggressive after it is done :) we all have the sickness :) now you will also have to share the details of the 2.9! Did you use a Mag block? I will most likely build my motor out of my 2.4 since is is numbers matching - but have read all the pros and cons of Mag vs Al cases. I was also planning on retaining the MFI although the pump ads weight back there.

It is a slippery slope, and I would have to say I fell down the whole damn hill! I don’t have my original engine as I swapped it out for a 3L out of an 83 SC back in 1993. A few years back, I got ‘73 mfi block and used that for the build. My engine builder, (Jason and Tony at Squires in Bellevue, WA), had a few ideas and we ended up going with 93mm Nickies, for a 2.9 L displacement. Elgin cams, Pauter rods, Sport valve springs, Ti retainers. The mfi was rebuilt by Mark Jung for this engine. Throttle bodies rebuilt by Eurometrix. All the goodies! Anyway, they dyno’ed this engine at 221 hp at the rear wheels. It is a hoot to drive! Great throttle response, power and awesome noises. I’m looking forward to spring!!

r911 12-29-2018 03:16 PM

you filled metal areas with spot filler putty before primer/paint, right?

did you fill any crack or divots on the original leather before re-wrapping or putting on new leather?

myflat6 12-29-2018 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by WBYonder (Post 15528625)

It is a slippery slope, and I would have to say I fell down the whole damn hill! I don’t have my original engine as I swapped it out for a 3L out of an 83 SC back in 1993. A few years back, I got ‘73 mfi block and used that for the build. My engine builder, (Jason and Tony at Squires in Bellevue, WA), had a few ideas and we ended up going with 93mm Nickies, for a 2.9 L displacement. Elgin cams, Pauter rods, Sport valve springs, Ti retainers. The mfi was rebuilt by Mark Jung for this engine. Throttle bodies rebuilt by Eurometrix. All the goodies! Anyway, they dyno’ed this engine at 221 hp at the rear wheels. It is a hoot to drive! Great throttle response, power and awesome noises. I’m looking forward to spring!!

So many of us fall down these hills! Your motor build sounds great - giving me ideas as well since yours was built using a 2.4 Mag case. 221 has to be a blast - very good hp/lbs ratio I'm sure. The cool thing about MFI is that it isn't seen a whole lot anymore, as many cars had it all removed and replaced with carbs over the years - this is one big reason I am thinking about keeping the MFI (just hot rodded/bored/tuned).

myflat6 12-29-2018 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by r911 (Post 15528663)
you filled metal areas with spot filler putty before primer/paint, right?

did you fill any crack or divots on the original leather before re-wrapping or putting on new leather?

Hey Randy - yes, I stripped down to bare metal using a strip-it disc on my angle grinder - then cleaned the crap out of the rust pits, then treated with PPG - I should have taken a photo of them before - then applied the spot filler and sanded before primer. Two coats of primer drying and will go from there. I don't think I will wrap myself - probably taking it to Autobahn to have a thick wrap done.

WBYonder 12-29-2018 04:00 PM

Looking forward to watching your build, Bill.

Let me know if you plan on travelling to/through eastern WA.

myflat6 12-29-2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by WBYonder (Post 15528730)
Looking forward to watching your build, Bill.

Let me know if you plan on travelling to/through eastern WA.

thanks! will do!

myflat6 12-30-2018 02:07 PM

Look what I got :cool: The correct later style ('72+) "S" ATE Alloy Calipers for my hotrod. These are insanely light. They are basically the same as those used on the 908/910. They are in pretty good shape, but they will be shipped off to PMB for a full restoration - they will look like Rob's then (above)!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8501ec82ce.jpg

WBYonder 12-30-2018 06:43 PM

Sweet!

Archer911 12-31-2018 04:54 PM

Much respect for the work you are doing on this Porsche. It's going to be an epic car when you are finished!

Archer911 12-31-2018 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by myflat6 (Post 15528586)
Removed the leather wrap and stripped the paint from the 380mm VDO wheel I had bought (see post #13 - it was a piece of crap, but cheap :) stripped down to metal and treated various rust pits with the PPG stuff. Filled pits with spot filler putty and have sprayed two coats of self etching primer. Will sand and fill as necessary. Will topcoat with 2k ceramic. For those interested in learning more about these wheels (I continue to learn more about the longhoods - maybe most on here already know this stuff), here is an interesting read: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...eels-THE-TRUTH

Here is the look I am going for (keeps with my theme of taking parts from other Porsche's)

I must ask about your gauges. The Heuer badged clock and the extended range tach are pretty cool. Did they come with the car or did you source them?

Thanks

myflat6 12-31-2018 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Archer911
Much respect for the work you are doing on this Porsche. It's going to be an epic car when you are finished!

Thanks - I have a loooong way to go :thumbup: