Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   '72 911T Hot Rod Build (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/1107367-72-911t-hot-rod-build.html)

myflat6 12-16-2018 07:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Stripped the driver side rear wheel well today. Also wire brushed and treated the exposed metal like I did on passenger side. Shot with epoxy primer.
Stripped the oil line and repainted it in high temp black paint. Rebuilt the other line using the correct Cohline hose I picked up from 911Rennen and reusing the original fittings (these are much better than the crimp fittings and are harder to find anymore).

myflat6 12-18-2018 11:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Refinished the spring plates in black and mounted the new Elephant bushings to them. I hope the super glue that comes with the kit holds! Also took my trailing arms to a welder to have the sway bar ball mounts welded in. Now I need to press in the new hub bearings and bushings. I decided to go with Porsche trailing arm bushings. Much more expensive than the aftermarket bushings but I have had trouble with aftermarket rubber in the past and don't want to have to replace these things again.

myflat6 12-20-2018 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Parts packages have been arriving regularly at my house - feels like Christmas for sure! My new oil tank arrived today from Italy. Also received a meter of the correct cloth covered breather hose and a new Porsche oil level sending unit to drop in to my new tank. Still waiting for fasteners to come back from plater - a bit of a debacle which I can share later when I get them.

myflat6 12-24-2018 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pressed in the trailing arm bushings and hub bearings. Putting the bearings in the freezer trick helped a bit. Finished the arms by first shooting a 2k epoxy primer and then top coating with a 2K catalyzed ceramic paint. Same treatment on the bumper brackets.

myflat6 12-25-2018 11:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Almost ready to paint the final coat of black in the wheel wells. The treated areas were sealed with a 2k epoxy primer a few days ago. I used this internal sealer (below) in all areas that I couldn't get to, including inside and behind the kidney bowls and up in the area that runs along the engine bay. The spray comes with a 24-inch tube that reaches inside the tough to get to areas. It uses phenolic resins and Zinc phosphate to seal the area. Who knows if it works, but worth a try in these areas.
I then shot undercoat on top of the epoxy primer that I sealed the treated areas with a couple days ago. I attempted to replicate the texture/pattern of the factory undercoat using acid brushes. Not quite a match but good enough - I may spray one more light coat to try a little more texture for a better match.
The wheel well areas are ready to paint - then the suspension finally goes back in! Cannot reassemble anything yet since my parts are still at the plater - ugh.

myflat6 12-26-2018 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Boxed up my rear calipers to ship off to PMB Performance for restoration/rebuild. Was going to rebuild them myself but the pistons look like crap - rather the best take care of everything. Car had Textar pads on it, but thinking of switching to Porterfield R4-S pads.

myflat6 12-27-2018 06:34 PM

Didn't get much done on the car yesterday/today - I am waiting for the call that my plating is done. I did have the rotors spun and ordered more parts :) I found a great place to get metric fasteners (www.Belmetric.com) - for those looking for a place. I also had to get my 993 emissions check done today - gotta love CA...every 2 years! That is the greatest part of this '72 -- no emissions! My SC passes each year by the skin of its teeth as I do not have a cat on it (SSI's into Dansk sport). It was nice getting the 993 out - I haven't driven it much at all lately, especially with the new project. Gotta love the 3.6 :)
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...85c996b326.jpg

WBYonder 12-27-2018 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by myflat6 (Post 15521857)
Boxed up my rear calipers to ship off to PMB Performance for restoration/rebuild. Was going to rebuild them myself but the pistons look like crap - rather the best take care of everything. Car had Textar pads on it, but thinking of switching to Porterfield R4-S pads.

You won’t be sad you sent them to PMB. They did my front/rear calipers and they came back looking like NOS parts.

myflat6 12-27-2018 10:45 PM

^ thanks - I hear they are the best. My calipers were a wreck. Didn't send fronts because I am looking for S calipers to replace my M's

Archer911 12-27-2018 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by WBYonder (Post 15525269)

You won’t be sad you sent them to PMB. They did my front/rear calipers and they came back looking like NOS parts.

Same here. They did mine on my 87 Carrera and they look and perform great!

WBYonder 12-27-2018 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by myflat6 (Post 15525307)
^ thanks - I hear they are the best. My calipers were a wreck. Didn't send fronts because I am looking for S calipers to replace my M's

Here’s a picture of one of the S calipers from my car after they restored it. Like I said, I was very happy with their work.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d22f03289.jpeg

myflat6 12-28-2018 12:34 AM

^verrrry nice. I have to get some of those beauties. Tell me more about your setup...

Spyerx 12-28-2018 01:46 AM

Belmetric is awesome.
Did you do cad (edited) or yellow chromate on your parts?
im sure it is possible but i tried Cad on a few parts for my 89 and they didn’t look right. Yellow zinc chromate was near perfect match for the factory parts.
I cant recall who we used but they did a nice job. We did ultrasonic everything first.

myflat6 12-28-2018 02:02 AM

Doing most parts in yellow zinc chromate and a few in clear zinc chromate. I spent a bunch of time cleaning parts and even having some media blasted only to be told I wasted my time. The plater I went with said that plating my parts would have resulted in B or C quality and he provides A (he showed some examples) - sounds like a sales pitch, but what the hell, I agreed to have all of my parts sent to his guy that preps everything and then back to him for plating. I actually learned quite a bit talking to him so I am hoping the extra time and $ is worth it. At least going forward I know to just bring the parts in to him right off the car.

Spyerx 12-28-2018 12:53 PM

You can see the parts we did here (except the idle control valve).
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...l#post14138256

I can't recall exactly but I believe the older cars had cad plating vs. zinc. In my note above I meant cad, I tried a few parts and it didn't look right, i suspect the process just wasn't right. And, it's expensive. Especially in CA. Yellow/clear zinc is the way to go. Should look awesome. Amazing what a little effort on the bolts and bits does.