Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Crash

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:00 AM
mamoroso
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Crash

I still cannot believe it... Yesterday I was taking the car to get the license plates in my name and the worst happened.
Turning left on a 2way 4lane road (needed to get into the parking lot of the DMV) a big SUV stopped to let me through (traffing light was red for them...)... but the guy on the very right lane didnt.... I didn't see him, he didn't see me.
Result... he hit me just in front of the right front wheel. The front bumber moved 20 inches to the left, the right fender 4 inces to the lest, the right headlight housing is oval now, the hood is lighlty bent up and the left fender is probably bent 1 inch to the left too.
I didn't even feel the seat belt pulling on my chest, and the other driver is fine too. His Honda Civic had minor damage on the left side of the front bumper. He was probably doing 30 MPH.
I manage to drive the car home... but I am sure there is damage to the oil radiator as it is leaking. The car pulls slightly to the right...
I hope there is no damage to the frame....
I am so gutted... I was trying to post pics of the car but the files are too big... Now I am so deflated. It was suh a beauty.... It was perfect, black, shiny... I just hope it's nothing too bad and that they can fix it.
At least I am OK and so is the other driver.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure you will hear this a lot but as long as you are both OK then that is all that matters. I am sure the 911 will look gorgeous again after you get it back. Besides, take this chance to maybe do some body up grades!!! Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 01-23-2004, 11:10 AM
mamoroso
Racer

I was thinking of getting the Turbo tie rods, new shocks and maybe new oil lines... We'll see as the insurance has now taken over and they want to see what to do... I had collision and fully comp... So even if it is my fault I will only pay the deductible.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

I feel your pain but Jay Gratton is right on. My 85 somehow acquired several small dings on the right rear flare. I have no idea how they got there, but it must have been a parking lot incident. Certainly my little problem doesn't compare to yours, but I got sick when I first discovered the dents, so I know how you feel.
Best of luck on the repairs and I'll bet it comes out better than new!!

Larry
Old 01-23-2004, 11:18 AM
mamoroso
Racer

The thing is that I had just purchased the car... I mean not only a week. I dreamt abt this for ages, I saved the money... I am finally able to afford one, I get it, I fall in love with it just to wreck it after 4 days.... I am so sad
Old 01-23-2004, 12:24 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Mamaroso,

not to worry, everything will turn out fine. It will be good as new when it returns. I agree, might be a good opportunity to do some front end upgrades!!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Crash

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mamoroso
[B]I still cannot believe it... Yesterday I was taking the car to get the license plates in my name and the worst happened.QUOTE]

It happened to me 4 years ago. The perfect 911 coupe, an '85, original silver paint, dark blue leather. Exquisite. I had it 3 weeks. A guy runs a stop sign, hits me, and just keeps going, oblivious, while I'm "both feet in", brakes locked. The car was totalled. Total depression. During the next 3 weeks I'm a man possessed, and lucked out; found a '86 911, 16" Fuchs, dark blue metallic paint, original again, rock solid 3.2 power, and it has been terrific. In fact, better than terrific. Maybe it's true that things happen for a reason.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:52 PM
mducharme
Instructor

I feel for you buddy ,scroll down to the Canadian site and check out my recent excursion. The post is called ( Hows my luck)
Good luck mducharme 1986 911 turbo
1984 carrera cab (for sale)
Old 01-24-2004, 01:32 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 912 2 weeks after I got it... school bus vs 912... while I was sad, we were all ok and with my settlement, I was able to add 5 years and 2 cylinders to my p-car.
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Bob's flat-six
Instructor

This same thing happened to me years ago only I was driving the car that had the right away.
I learned to be extra carefull when a large vehicle is letting you pass thru their lane as your at a blind disadvantage.
When I'm driving a large vehicle I won't yield to people if I think it might set them up for an accident.
Good luck
Old 01-26-2004, 10:55 AM
jet911
Pro

If people would simply follow driving rules. Drivers in the left hand lane on 4 lane roads that wave people across are truely idiots. They set them up for accidents as any one coming in the right hand lane has no way of knowing that someone is coming. I've seen no less than five accidents caused by that stupid move.

Next to my home I watched as a car slowed in the left lane of a four lane road and waved a neighbor kid on his bike to come across. At the same time, a young driver who had just received his license a month earlier, was coming down in the right lane at the speed limit and nailed him. The neighbor kid on the bike was killed instantly. Now the poor young driver who did nothing wrong gets to live with it the rest of his life.

Just follow the damn rules of the road! Sometimes being a nice guy and allowing someone to do something wrong ends up in tragedy!

Sorry for being a bit uppity here, but these are situations that can be prevented. I've never accepted that polite move. I just wave them on and wait for my turn when I can see the coast is clear....

Last edited by jet911; 01-27-2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

WOW, I didn't realize you had only had the 911 for 4 days. I love the updates you have in mind with the turbo tie rod ends and such. Best wishes with the repairs. - Jay Gratton
Old 01-27-2004, 12:25 PM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

Pittsburgh drivers are the most courteous I have ever come across.... almost too courteous. They stop and let everyone go… but on a four lane road it is always a bad idea. I have seen many of the accidents you described.... I call them "Good Samaritan Accidents". Glad to hear you are ok.

Quick Reply: Crash