Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tune Up required

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 11:13 AM
kksarver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tune Up required

I am in need of Ignition wires cap and rotor for my 86 Carrera.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as where/who to buy from?
I went to my local parts house and was quoted the following:
Rotor $5.40
Cap $44.99
Wires $378.00

There has got to be someone out there with quality parts at a cheaper price or am I wrong. This is my first tune up since I bought the car 4 years ago.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Old 01-25-2004, 02:50 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken,
I also have an '86 Coupe. Look at Pelican Parts. They sell Megnecor KV85 wires for $165 which are as good if not better than OEM. They do require a bit of modifying of the wire holders as they have a bit larger diameter than originals. Here's the link. They also sell distributor cap, rotor, plugs, etc.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item6

I Looked up Magnecor on the web and called their office. They gave me a local distributor who sold me a set for $110.00. I've had them in the car for a year with no issues. If you do a search on this BB under Magnecor, you will find many supportive threads.

Also, there are several internet companies like alloemautoparts who sell the generic type parts like the rotor, dist cap, plugs, etc., for good prices. The parts they sell are for the most part the same as you get at the Porsche Dealer, i.e., Bosch, etc.. For upgrades etc., however I would not use them. Here is their link
http://www.alloemautoparts.com/

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:34 AM
kksarver
Intermediate

Thanks for the web sites. Will spend some time shopping around.
Ken
Old 01-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually the prices for the rotor and distributor cap are not that out of line with Pelican Parts, Tweeks, etc. when you figure in the shipping. I generally use Pelican Parts due to their excellent service. As for the plug wires, many people go with the Magnecor including me. An excellent plug wire! Here is a picture of the Magencor wires on my '86 3.2 which I just rebuilt.

Old 01-27-2004, 02:27 PM
recordmanv
Advanced

Kudos to the Magnecor wires. I replaced my OEM shielded braided wires 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Got them from Pelican too.

Quick Reply: Tune Up required