Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Factory Alarm 1988 911

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 06:06 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Factory Alarm 1988 911

Anyone out there knowledgeable on the 1988 Factory Alarm? My car came with it but it was removed in parts over the years by previous owners. I've been able to source just about all the parts from the PET guide and would just like to talk to someone who knows how the system connects internally. This is really the last restoration project for the car as it has been returned to stock over the decade+ I've owned it. Well, except for some ice cold A/C from Charlie!

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:16 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Just so I understand correctly...you wish to reinstall the factory alarm?

Your best bet would be to search the threads on pelican on how to remove/disable it and go from there. On my car I believe they took out the alarm module and jumped two of the wires on the connector. It's not fun getting to that module, it's buried under the dash and can only be accessed from the hood.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:18 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. Yes, It's the last part of the car I want to return to stock. I see in the diagram where the wiring harness is in the driver door and am assuming it comes into the main body shell at the hinge point and then goes somewhere inside the car to make the electronic connection to the starting system and dedicated alarm horn. Not sure if it connects to the fuel pump, the starter wiring, or the fuel control.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:34 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 161 Posts

If your factory alarm was removed , leave it out ... my car has a habit of having the alarm go off randomly at any hour of the day, so if i park it
for a few days i have to disconnect the battery so the alarm doesn't annoy the neighbors !
Old 09-14-2018, 09:56 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildcat077
If your factory alarm was removed , leave it out ... my car has a habit of having the alarm go off randomly at any hour of the day, so if i park it
for a few days i have to disconnect the battery so the alarm doesn't annoy the neighbors !
Thanks for that bit of info. Looks like I can get all new parts except for the brain and that concerns me. LA Dismantlers has one but the idea of a 30 year old module could be a deal breaker. However, they did produce them up until just a few years ago. If I can locate a relatively new one, I might have some more confidence. We'll see. It's the last piece of the puzzle to get the car 100% back in line with the build sheet.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:31 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Had a little delay getting it scheduled, but the mechanic called me today with an update. The first step was to recreate the alarm keys since I didn't have them when I bought the car from the PO in 2005. I was able to source blanks and the dealer has them. He removed the alarm key switch in the door jamb to have a local locksmith reverse engineer and cut the keys. When he disconnected the switch electrically, the alarm started sounding. That probably means the alarm is all there and fully functional. I expected that it had been removed but it is looking like I was wrong. Whoever installed the aftermarket alarm likely just piggybacked on the factory system and left the factory alarm intact. Just needed the keys. Keeping fingers crossed that this is a simple fix to the factory system.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:04 PM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Interesting......

I pitched an entire system wires and all in the trash. It kept going off......per post #4.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:18 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AG81
Interesting......

I pitched an entire system wires and all in the trash. It kept going off......per post #4.
I'm sure that won't happen to me.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:23 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Good news. After the locksmith couldn't reverse engineer the key, I was able to find a new key switch with matching keys at a supplier. Installed today and the dealership reports the alarm works perfectly. Pick it up Friday. Looking forward to having it back.

Happy Thanksgiving all!
Old 11-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Deleted

Last edited by Pavegeno928; 11-23-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:27 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Works great...kind of. I think the mechanic installed the cylinder off-angle. With the alarm set and I open the driver door to insert the key, the key slot is perpendicular to the body making it impossible to open the door enough to insert the key without setting off the alarm. I think the cylinder should be rotated so that when the alarm is set and you open the door to disarm it, the key slot should go be parallel to the body to minimize how much you have to open the door leaving you room to rotate the key and open the door some more, but before the alarm sounds.

Anyone with a functioning alarm care to confirm this? A photo of armed and disarmed would be helpful. Any information on how to remove the cylinder to rotate it would be helpful. I don't have any factory manuals.

I have used the alarm several times and up to a week at a time with no adverse issues except the key issue described above.

Thanks and Happy New Year.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:52 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I see you are in Alabama. Hopefully there, people are considerate enough to alert police when your alarm goes off. Here in crazy CA, we have alarms go off all of the time and people just completely ignore them, including the police. Additionally, I would not rely upon a factory alarm for anything. I prefer no alarm at all and I just park where I am confident my cars are safe. Because we have so many cars with alarms sounding, I have grown to dislike them with a passion. I am fortunate to have a home with a garage so my cars are never out over night. In locations where people do not have that option, I can see some value in an audible alarm. I also can absolutely appreciate your desire to have your car returned to 100% stock, including the factory alarm. If I am fortunate enough, once my '71 914-6 is finished this spring, I would like to find an '89 Carrera coupe- it would be stock.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:53 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cairo94507
I see you are in Alabama. Hopefully there, people are considerate enough to alert police when your alarm goes off. Here in crazy CA, we have alarms go off all of the time and people just completely ignore them, including the police. Additionally, I would not rely upon a factory alarm for anything. I prefer no alarm at all and I just park where I am confident my cars are safe. Because we have so many cars with alarms sounding, I have grown to dislike them with a passion. I am fortunate to have a home with a garage so my cars are never out over night. In locations where people do not have that option, I can see some value in an audible alarm. I also can absolutely appreciate your desire to have your car returned to 100% stock, including the factory alarm. If I am fortunate enough, once my '71 914-6 is finished this spring, I would like to find an '89 Carrera coupe- it would be stock.
Appreciate the thoughts. My motivation was more to keep it stock and have everything working. Agree that the value of an alarm without some sort of GPS tracking is of little value. Porsche Classic does offer a GPS based alarm system for our old cars, but it os only available in Europe. If it comes to this side of the pond I'll look into it.

Happy New Year!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:42 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Got the system working great. Problem was in the door jamb switch at the front hinge which turns on the interior light and triggers the alarm if not disarmed. Mechanic was able to adjust it properly so the door can open more allowing the key to go in and turn without setting off the alarm. Very cool to have it functioning.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:01 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

One additional problem I encountered is the key blank that is available now is not the same as what was likely original based on the picture of the alarm key in the manual (pdf attached).

Two pictures follow. The first is of the available key cut down so as not to cause the door to be opened too wide resulting in alarm activation. The second is of the key before cutting.

I also noticed that when my alarm activates, neither the brake lights nor the fog lights flash as the manual states. It does cut off the fuel supply since if you try to start the engine with the alarm sounding, the engine will crank but it will not start. Not worth it to me to get the flashing lights working since I don't think it adds any theft deterrence in today's day and age, the horn sounding offers only marginal deterrence since everyone ignores them anyway.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1988 911 Alarm Manual.pdf (1.98 MB, 111 views)

Quick Reply: Factory Alarm 1988 911