Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Starting my SSI upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

Never really figured it out. I have been on the Pelican tech and engine building forum and it does happen time to time. Probably a combination of torqueing , vibration and oil causes it to move. Symptom always seems to be the same with major oil leaks. A couple walk rigtht out and it results in rocker , shaft and cam damage. mine never did that though. I guess good reason to go in after and recheck on your first oil change after the work.

I use the orange silicon valve gaskets like are used on the 993 and I find them great . I put them in after doing my engine rebuild and I will never use anything else now. If there are leaks I know it is coming from somewhere else and that days of blaming the valve cover are over.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:25 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Clive,

I took care of the droning on my 3.6 with Fabspeed headers last year with muffler inserts from some company that i don't remember the name as i had
to block them because they kept flooding me with mail and picture requests ...

The inserts do work though , if you're interested in reducing the noise even more i can find the info and send it to you ?
All you do is slip one or two inserts in the tail pipes after the muffler !
Old 06-12-2018, 02:29 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Enjoyed reading this thread as I have a newly acquired 79 and am learning about and planning to do all sorts of upgrades. This is definitely on the list.
Can you share some before and after driving impressions? Do you have any sound clips of the resulting engine noise after the change?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Clive,

I took care of the droning on my 3.6 with Fabspeed headers last year with muffler inserts from some company that i don't remember the name as i had

The inserts do work though , if you're interested in reducing the noise even more i can find the info and send it to you ?
Car Chemistry?
https://www.carchemistry.com/

I saw them come up on some other searches as I was wondering about drone and sound level myself. The catless SSI with dansk GT3 style muffler is loud, and while I absolutely love it to death when I'm giving it the beans, it's a little much when I'm cruising downtown trying to talk to my wife. The inserts look perfect for something to tamp the noise down normally and open up for the track.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Clive,

Phill for me the drone is gone , as I said I'm not sure why . But they guy who had this muffler before me cut off the exhaust pipe and welded on this massive piece. Looks like the size of an apple juice can. If I look down inside I can sort of see how it was hacked up . Drone not to bad though.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Enjoyed reading this thread as I have a newly acquired 79 and am learning about and planning to do all sorts of upgrades. This is definitely on the list.
Can you share some before and after driving impressions? Do you have any sound clips of the resulting engine noise after the change?
I saw your thread where you pickup up that car , really nice one to play with for sure.

Drives about the same to me , maybe I don't have much of a calibrated butt Dyno, maybe a little more grunt but nothing measurable by may , may even be a placebo effect.
I have on a stock 74 Muffler so just sounds like what a stock 74 would have I guess. but to clarify , I did not do this for " better" sound or for increased Horsepower. I really just did it because I like to Tinker and the SSIs look kinda cool.
Definitely it is raspier, on the gas, but my main concern doing this is I actually did not want it louder. I get everyone is after different things, but I like the sound of an air cooled the way it is in stock form. I really don't need to attract the attention like civic drivers with fart cans bolted on.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:51 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Good to know thanks. Ya I have a very loud car already and don't need another one. I was more curious about any potential performance differences which you answered. I think the mod placebo effect is definitely real!!
Old 06-13-2018, 03:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Good to know thanks. Ya I have a very loud car already and don't need another one. I was more curious about any potential performance differences which you answered. I think the mod placebo effect is definitely real!!
people do claim horsepower gains with the SSI and the 964 cam grind ( which I did during my rebuild ) and I don't doubt them , but I'm not much on parroting internet hype and report wht I feel . and I didn't feel much.

granted id be a lousy F-1 test driver ... id be like Tom cruise in days of thunder .. lol ... " I have no idea what you are talking about "

Quick Reply: Starting my SSI upgrade