Convertible top seals

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 01:17 PM
mmeany
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Convertible top seals

Hello All,
I hope you are all well and have enjoyed the holiday.
I need to replace the seals that run along the top and rear of the door glass (both sides) on my '89 cab. I have the 3M 8001 and the seals. Do the old ones just pull off? I can't see any fasteners. Any insight on installation? It looks pretty straightforward but I thought I would ask. The car is black and the originals have greyed as well as frayed on the passenger's side probably due to mis-alignment. I figured I would install the seals and close the windows tight until the adhesive set up to assure proper alignment. Is it better to do the R&R part with the top down and raise it for curing? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:31 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to do the same thing. If anyone has a clear set of instructions on the whole process please post it! It will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:51 PM
hoosierdaddy
Intermediate

I can do this easier than I can explain it but I'll try my best . The seals that run horizontal to the top of the door glass need to be removed to replace . There is a rubber piece that runs through the center of the seal , pry this piece out and that will expose 5 screws , remove the screws and the seal is ready to come off. Keep in mind none of these seal will fall off , they will have to be gently pride off . Porsche uses a liberal amount of black sealer and it can be very hard to seperate . The seals at the rear of the window will pry out of the metal frame without removing any hardware again keeping in mind the factory sealer can be very difficult . Hope this helps
Jim
Old 12-29-2003, 11:19 AM
mmeany
Intermediate

Well, I did the job last night. The horizontal seals need to have a rubber strip removed to reveal the four screws. Remove these screws. Beneath the aluminum extrusion is a strip of ribbon caulk. The extrusion needs to be separated from the ribbon caulk. Take your time here as the extrusion can be bent and the paint on the surrounding metal can be scratched. I used a stiff putty knife and a wide putty knife. Take your time here. Once separated, remove the excess ribbon caulk and remove the seal from the extrusion. Install the new seal onto the extrusion by sliding or stuffing the lip seal into the channel of the extrusion. I cleaned off most of the ribbon caulk in the frame but left a liberal amount in the seam. I then applied a bead of the ribbon caulk (sparingly) onto the frame, smoothed it out, and reapplied the seal/extrusion assembly. I then installed the screws and waited on the final application of the 3m 8001 until I was ready to clamp everything in place by closing the top.
For the vertical seals, there are four posts on the mounting bracket the go through the verticle frame which have nuts and washers on the other side. These nuts and wasers have to be removed. They are non magnetic so be very careful not to lose them. Work the bracket and seal assembly off the frame (gentle rocking worked for me), remove the seal and attach a new seal. One of the holes on my new seals was in the wrong location so I used a hole punch to create a new one. I put a bead of 8001 on the sides of the channel that the seal fits into and pushed the seal into the slot. I added a little more ribbon caulk to the base of the posts and reassembled them to the frame.
I then added a little 8001 to the front end of the horizontal seal and had a helper watch the seal interfaces as I closed the top to make sure alignment was good. I put up the windows and let it set overnight. It looks good. Use the 8001 sparingly to make a clean installation and do not get it on the visible parts of the seal.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:10 AM
VS911 '83 SC
Track Day

Great info. I need the vertical ones on my '83 Cab. Just what I need, another Winter project!
Old 01-01-2004, 06:10 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

MMEANY, Congrats on the job. I did the same when I replaced the cab. top on mine...What a PITA, top replacement, I now know why the shops wanted so much $ to do it.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:55 PM
mmeany
Intermediate

Hoosierdaddy really deserves the credit for getting me started. I just thought it was helpful to add a little more detail.
In looking at my top, much of the stitching is failing and the rear window is not great. I doubt I'll do the top myself but would be interested in hearing your experience, 3.2SALNTNOSE. Maybe I'll try to tackle that one next winter.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:42 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

It almost drove me nuts. Did it Jan. 02, I am really glad took pics before I started. Don't let anyone ever tell you "Oh, it was nothing to it" lots of hand fitting, trimming, glueing, etc. I guess, if you didn't care if it had wrinkles, or looked baggy, it would be nothing to it. I am really pleased how it came out.

Quick Reply: Convertible top seals