Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Test Drive Story

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 01:00 PM
Paul72
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drive Story

Well in my search for a 911, I have been checking out various cars and going through the PPI.

This weekend I drove 666 miles (666 Should have known!) to check out a nicely photographed, and 'supposedly' perfect 86 911. 97k miles on it, but 'supposedly' well maintained.

First, in going through the PPI checklist (Pelican Parts), the car was a averaging a "B". Definitly not the "A" I was promised on the phone prior to my drive to come and see it.

Test Drive time. But first, the owner explained that the clutch freeplay was set for his 'personal' liking. Red Flag in my head. In short there was NO freeplay and only engaged at the very top of the pedal.

So down the road I go. First thing I notice is that compared to a near perfect 79 SC 3.0 I drove, this 3.2l with chip, exhaust, headers, and intake seemed down on power (like a 2.7 not a 3.2). About 2 miles into my test drive the car starts loosing ALL power, and eventually dies. After the car sat for about 5 minutes it restarted with enough white smoke out of the exhaust to rivial a James Bond Smoke Screen.

So the owner then drives it back to the house, at which point the car seems to have 'cleared itself out'. He insists on another drive. Well 666 miles, why not, I am not buying it at this point. Same thing, but this time after the car dies it won't start for about 15~20 minutes, with the big blast of smoke. While it was not starting the car would crank (but never 'catch' like there was no gas or spark) it would puff smoke out the exhaust while simply cranking.

Obviously, I have no intention of purchasing the vehicle, but man was that bizzare! PPI = "F"

The thing that makes me mad is why do people misrepresent the car when they know a person is traveling a long way to come and see it.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:13 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul, I notice your in the Akron area. I have my cars serviced at LayLAnd motors in Canton. One of their customers has a 3.2 L 911 posted on the wall there for sale. It is a 1987 white targa with 45k on the clock. He was asking 26.5k and just lowered it to 24k.........it's a nice looking car. I have no affiliation other than getting my vehicles done there.

Good luck with the search.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:32 PM
Juan
Instructor

Clutch freeplay....

Not to defend the owner in any way.

But the earlier mechanical clutches could be adjusted such that the was NO freeplay, what you apparently experienced, all the way to the point that the dis/engage poimnt is very near the floor, tons of "freeplay".

I'm 6' 2" and I cannot drive a 911 with the hydraulic clutch easily since there is no adjustment.

But the 996 is wonderful.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Paul72
5th Gear

993chaz, thanks for the heads up. That would be in my price range, but I am not a Targa fan.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2003, 03:53 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hydraulic clutch, not bled for awhile...apparently...relatively cheap fix.

As for the dying and tons of smoke...odd, sounds like a head temp sensor or something was shutting the engine down, hard to tell.

Another cheap fix, but a P.I.T.A. to get at!
Old 12-23-2003, 04:15 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

I hear ya, I had one years ago!! Pls no flames!!!
Old 12-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Paul72
5th Gear

Jeff,

1986 is non-hydraulic clutch. But agreed they can be adjusted to some liking. Shifting into "Reverse" always grinded also.

The car was tired, I also suspected valve guides.

Just wish people were honest.
Old 12-25-2003, 04:31 PM
MAS
Racer

"... like a 2.7 not a 3.2"

Hey... ever driven a good 2.7? A good 2.7 has a very broad spread of torque... particularly in the low-mid range RPMS.

-MAS
Old 12-26-2003, 09:37 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default DOH!

Sorry about that...read 993Chaz's reply that mentioned an '87 for sale and got fixated on that.

Good catch though, see...us moderators don't walk on water.

Anyway, the freeplay in the clutch, up to a 1986 model can be attributed to a couple of things:

A) a simple adjustment of the clutch cable.

B) clutch cable is worn/stretched or the housing is kaput, causing the overal travel of the cable to be reduced with housing flex or "scrunching up" at either end.

This happened on my SC and changing the clutch cable, after 5 years of ownership was probably the single most effective change I ever made to the car!

It was one of those things that made me think - "WHY didn't I change that cable YEARS ago!!??"
Old 12-26-2003, 03:09 PM
SandyI
Racer

You drove 666 miles? Maybe next time, consider flying to L.A. to buy one here.

Quick Reply: Test Drive Story