Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1988 Club Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 03:00 AM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1988 Club Sport

Just curious, but what do you folks think would be a fair value for an '88 Club Sport 911? Do these carry a big price premium?
Old 12-18-2003, 11:08 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,978 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Yes, they do carry a big premium (my idea of a fair price and the asking price are rarely the same for these). They are nice cars, but not much nicer than a nice 3.2 with sunroof delete and few other goodies that can be added later for alot less $.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:11 PM
WJV
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you're probably aware, there were only 28 ever sold in the U.S. (I believe about 350 worldwide). Whereas you can drive around and see a multitude of Carreras on a daily basis, how many Club Sports are you going to see? As evidenced by the rapidly escalating market for an early S not to mention the prized RS, rarity and exclusivity certainly are a significant factor in a premium price. Secondly, I for one would appreciate the fact that they are not adorned with the luxury items and sound proofing of the regular Carreras. Having ridden and driven in both U.S. spec and RoW models, they are an absolute blast, an experience more along the lines of the pre-74 911's. There's something to be said about lightweight crispness combined with the unadultered sound of the flat six 3.2. Could someone attempt to recreate the Club Sport? Sure. Will they have the special factory works blueprinted engine? Probably not. (RoW Club Sports were commonly reviewed in the day as making 240 - 245 hp. Combined with a weight of around 2,550 lbs, that makes for a pretty entertaining power/weight ratio.) And any recreation attempt certainly will not have one of the sequential VIN numbers. Not to take anything away from your awesome car, Grant, but you'll have to agree that there is a significant monetary disparity between a real RS and an RS clone. As with the age old saying, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And value is only what someone else is willing to pay. I will say, however, that you probably won't see too many Club Sports for sale as most of their owners have no desire to part with them.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I absolutely agree that there is a huge monetary disparity between a "real RS" and a replica. As much as I'd like to have a real 73 RS (and as much as some may like to have a real 88 Club Sport), having a replica is also a very appealing alternative. With a replica there is no guilt for modifying the car and my car (240HP, 1,890 lbs and racing RSR coilovers with 935 rear suspension) far outperforms a real RS (210HP, 2,250 lbs, torsion bars, etc.). I'm just saying that for some, it may make sense to buy a 3.2 sunroof delete and save some money and end up with a more entertaining car to drive. However, I totally respect you and others who would prefer an original classic. I like them both - just for different purposes. I could never bring myself to drive a real 73RS hard at the track...
Old 12-18-2003, 02:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 88CS Value

Medici78 - To actually answer your original question, an 88CS recently sold on ebay for mid-$40k's, I believe. Was a low-mile Midnight Blue example that was very nice (not concours though).
Old 12-18-2003, 03:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Here's one for sale...

http://www.europeancollectables.com/...ge_inv_id=C622
Old 12-18-2003, 08:43 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless you are a collector, it seems to me that you could get a nice 993 for the going rate for a CS.

todd
86 coupe
Old 12-19-2003, 12:29 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Todd - Yes, you can get a nice 993 for the price of an 88CS, but you can also get a near mint 73 911S, or you can get a beautifully track-prepared street-legal 88 Carrera 3.2 with a 3.4L or 3.6L (not CS, but lighter, faster, and safer). However, WJV's point that there are only 29 CS's on this continent may sway some. However, I think the 993 makes a better daily driver, the 73S is a more rewarding car to drive, and an 88 track car like I described would be better suited for that purpose. The CS is a compromise, but it certainly is an interesting one that might suite some owners (not just collectors) perfectly. People are different and have different needs and tastes...
Old 12-19-2003, 12:09 PM
WJV
Advanced

For those interested, there is a great article on the Club Sport in the current GT Purely Porsche.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

WJV - having driven both US and ROW versions, do you find the ROW version much peppier? I've always heard that the US versions don't have the same snap. Since Purely Porsche is British, they'll be reviewing a ROW version. I know that the specifications for HP rarely tell the whole story, so I'd like to hear your seat-of-the-pants impressions US vs. ROW.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2003, 01:21 PM
WJV
Advanced

Unaltered, the RoW versions are definitely a little peppier. They have roughly 20 more hp and are a little lighter than the US spec models. However, I know many US spec CS owners have retrofitted their cars with Euro pre-mufflers, aftermarket mufflers and different chips seeking the RoW hp numbers. Plus aesthetically, I feel the RoW models are a little cleaner looking with the Euro lights and sidemarkers and especially without those massive rear bumper guards.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:13 PM
sschmerg
Racer

The Club Sport is the best 911 I have ever driven. A few years ago when I was looking for a Carrera I drove a U.S. version fitted with the RoW exhaust and perhaps a few other mods. It was the silver one with the sunroof that is perhaps the only one in the world, previously owned by a Porsche salesman here in Virginia, USA. It definitely felt faster than my stock '88 Carrera coupe. I just could not justify the extra cost, since it was about 1/3 more than the '88 I bought with about the same mileage and in similar condition.

The headlights look about the same as the RoW to me, just a different lens (H4 vs. H5). The rear bumper guards I don't mind either, since we have the smaller licence plate in the US, and I've never been a fan of the turn signal repeaters in the fender/wing.

What I was always disappointed about was that the U.S. models did not have the "Carrera RS" look that the UK versions did. In the UK they were white and had red or blue Fuchs with a matching decal along the bottom of the door like the '73 Carrera RS had. Here they just had the CS decal on the driver's side headlight "tube" (you can see it in the pictures of the one for sale), and most just had the standard black Fuchs.

That said though, it is an awesome 911, and I would consider one if there was ever a nice one for sale at a somewhat reasonable price (yeah, right!).

-Sean
Old 12-19-2003, 03:42 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts

Sean - I know that car you are talking about. It's now here in California and runs pretty strong. Recently dynoed about 207 rwhp on a Dynojet 248h, which if assuming a 15% drivetrain loss is correct, is about 243 hp - definitely a little stronger than other 3.2s that were on the same dyno. The owner is a regular poster on the Pelican list and occasionally posts here. He told me that the Virginia salesman now regrets selling that car.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:10 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Yeah, it was a great car. A little more power, and a bit lighter (though admittedly not as light as normal CS's w/o sun roof), makes for a sweet ride!

The previous owner was still working at the Porsche dealer here last time I was there. He is getting pretty old, and I think he's been selling Porsches for over 30 years. He told me the story about how he special ordered that car with the sun roof. Apparently PCNA gave him a hard time and told him it could not be done, but obviously he did it. He told me he was selling it because he had a condition which made it difficult for him to drive the car anymore. I'm sure he misses it though...I would!

-Sean
Old 12-19-2003, 06:55 PM
9caregiver
Racer

I remember Chic's car and really regret not buying it. There were others with the sunroof at least one anyway that showed up in a Porsche book or magazine that I remember. Anyway Chic used to run the Cannonball in the day. Sure wish I bought that CS. Does anyone know of any other ones aside from the Blue car for sale? Thanks.

Best,

Don

Quick Reply: 1988 Club Sport