Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My new 1984 911 Carerra Coupe is home!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Dadofour
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new 1984 911 Carerra Coupe is home!!

Hi it's me Than again!

19 ½ hours of driving from Florida to NJ?

The rest is history. My buddy Ed and I traded off driving time almost every two hours?neither of us got more than an hour of sleep the entire time?.I only fell sound asleep at the wheel once, and Ed politely asked me not to hit the guard rail?..19 ½ hours and the car is safe and sound. It drives great, and I have already ordered my first mod?aluminum pedals?Turbo tie rods soon!

Thanks for your guidance and help learning about the 911?s

We were so focused on driving and did all of the in the dark the first seven or so hours, it was not until South Carolina that Ed took a few shots?

I finally took out my camera and took a few shots

My very favorite shot so far!

and the reason why I have no more pictures?.....

Overnighted the previous owners plates home to him today. The car is officially registered in NJ. Only need to get it inspected?

P.S. What color is my car? I imagine Porsche came up with something better than Burgundy.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:30 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Excellent - and congratulations! You'll love it! Nothing like a nice long drive to blow the cobwebs out and get to know your car!
Old 12-16-2003, 12:34 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

So, I'm thinking Ruby Red Metallic Clearcoat L810/X7

Go to www.paintscratch.com

Color code should be on the underside of the hood. or on the drivers side wheel well (front)
Old 12-16-2003, 01:34 AM
nolift911
Advanced

g-50 Cab is correct. Ruby Red Metallic. Your car looks like mine when I picked it up...now much different. Let the mods begin.

-Jeff (84 911 Carrera - Ruby Red Metallic)
nolift911@hotmail.com
Old 12-16-2003, 09:48 AM
VS911 '83 SC
Track Day

Than - Beautiful. Tough time of year to be picking up a new 20 year old car. I suspect you will be taking it out every time the roads dry out? I picked mine up in Nov two years ago and I was antsy to drive it! Have fun and congratulations
Old 12-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Tommy B
Instructor

Can you talk a little about the process you went through. I'm in the market and i'd like to here some feedback about the purchase. How long did you look? How many car did you look at? Was price the deceiding factor, or were you looking for a specific car? Did the long distance purchase prove to be a burden?

Thanks
Tom
Old 12-16-2003, 11:13 PM
Dadofour
Advanced

Default Answers to your questions

Can you talk a little about the process you went through. I'm in the market and i'd like to here some feedback about the purchase.

1) How long did you look?

I looked for about one month. Much of the time was spent determining which 911 model I would buy. I looked at 911 Carrera's (915 transmissions), 911 Carerra's (G-50 TRanny), 964's and 993's.

When you hear everyone tell you to take your time, listen! There are a gazillion cars out there and although the car you want may sell because you did not move quickly enough, you can be sure there will be two more to fill it's place. Take your time and make sure of what you are doing.

2) How many car did you look at?

Every car for sale in the US listed under $35,000 *grin*

3) Was price the deciding factor, or were you looking for a specific car?

Both. I really wanted the car to be in the low teens so that it satisfied two criteria. 1) I could walk away from a bad crash at the track without impacting my financial life and 2) I wanted to be able to spend a budgeted amount on track prep in addition the car cost.

4) Did the long distance purchase prove to be a burden?

Burden may not be the right term, but it delayed and influenced the purchase. In the first place I had to find a PPI mechanic in Florida and I had no familiarity with the area. The President of the Everglades chapter of PCA (Susan Miller) was amazingly helpful. I was never able to drop in on the seller and take the car for a test drive. I had to depend on the PPI mechanic to not only validate the mechanical quality, but test drive the car.
I was a little caught off guard by the condition of the paint (not as nice as I had hoped) when I saw it for the first time, but it is a track car and the mechanicals are very solid. I had flown from JFK to Florida, and needed more than that to walk away....Local should be your first choice.

Have fun shopping. There is nothing on earth more exciting (other than tracking the car you eventually buy).

Good Luck with your search. Feel free to email me if you have additional questions.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:16 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Outstanding!!!! Looks like it's been lowered to lower then US specs and H4s??? I love the color!!!

Absolutely outstanding - and it's nice to see pics of another 911 in the snow - besides mine

Good for you!!!!
Old 12-16-2003, 11:23 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GAWD that poor Florida child! Probably never seen snow before!........oh yeah it WAS born in Germany
Old 12-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Dadofour
Advanced

One of my winter projects is to get the shock part numbers and figure out what suspension is in it.

Compared to my BMW it corners extremely flat and I am told the sway bars and torque rods are stock....

Yes H4's! Great eye for detail!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:10 AM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice car!
What kind of miles are on her.

Excellent pick.

Cheers

jpc
Old 12-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Dadofour
Advanced

133,000 miles. One primary owner for 18 years. Extremely well maintained.

Compression and leakdown came back very positive.

Engine is sound...so far. I have put 1500 miles on it since Saturday...
Old 12-17-2003, 02:12 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Than!

Congrats!

That color may also be wine red metallic? I am unsure if they still had it in 84. Check the color code. There may also be a sticker that says WEINROT METALLIC.

The euro lights are nice, but that chrome needs to go. It makes the car look funny, old. The great thing about those years was the blacked out chrome / aluminized trim and you don't want to upset that by adding chrome lights, IMHO. You can get paintable trim rings for it. Also, never put porsche scipts and crest, everyone knows it is a 911, that front licence plate is pimp!

What are the wheels? They sure don't look like the stock 6 and 7 x16. The car has an excellent stance. Very nice. The lowering will sure help the way it corners.

No worries about the paint. It is an older car and then you won't be one of the fools at the track that wrap their entire car in masking tape to try to 'protect' it. I think those folks need to stay home instead, waxing it. I think an original paint job is always better than a touched up one that looks good now and then will fade over the next 2 years.

I hope it will be spring soon there for you!

Cheers, George
Old 12-17-2003, 03:50 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the color, she looks great, you seem like a happy man!
Old 12-17-2003, 05:36 AM
Mark sP
Instructor

Great car! Lovely colour. I agree that the chrome headlamp trims need to go, are the wheels 7's front and back?

Enjoy.

Quick Reply: My new 1984 911 Carerra Coupe is home!!