Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911sc Interior Restomod advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:18 AM
jpettit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911sc Interior Restomod advice

Looking for advice, pics, etc on the below scenario. I've seen few comments on dry ice and citrus solvent on Pelican forums to strip the interior, but wanted to see what the Rennlisters have done.

I've removed the original (and very worn out) carpet from my 1980 911sc. I bought a new set, but wasn't happy with the color match. Then I decided to run a new direction and strip the carpet residue, thin rubber layer on the floor, and back seat pad. I plan to paint it a satin black to match the targa bar, have the seats, shift console, and rear panels recovered in black to match. Door panels will be replaced with the black RS panels.

So...I need input/advice on how to best:

1. Remove the residue and floor lining
2. Thoughts on paint choice
3. How to cover/hide the couple of wiring harnesses
4. Would love to see pics if anyone has done something similar!!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:08 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Without at least Perlon felt from AppBiz the car is going to be LOUD.....VERY LOUD INSIDE. Areas that I left without felt got rattle can bed liner sprayed on them.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 PM
jpettit
Intermediate

I hear you (barely) I've been driving the past 2 months without carpet. The only other things I would remove are the pad on the back seat buckets (not the rear wall/deck) and the roughly 2mm thick rubber/plastic mat which is glued to the metal under the floor mats. Do you think it would be that much louder?
Old 09-27-2017, 07:52 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

For the interior goo you can try 3M Adhesive Remover. It is nasty stuff (a VOC), so you need a respirator, fan pulling air out, preferably outdoors, heavy duty rubber gloves, no exposed skin, etc. You have to let it soak into the glue or glue/horsehair combination and then scrape it off. Easily 20 hours depending on how clean you want the interior.

Apparently 3M Adhesive Remover comes in an aerosol. I would NOT recommend this. It is bad enough in liquid form, having it airborne would be pretty nasty, perhaps quite dangerous.

I've read about the dry ice or citrus stuff. Supposedly it works, I don't know firsthand though. Dry ice is pretty expensive I think.

For paint I would match the existing paint (as close as possible), but that's my opinion. The factory would have strategically painted some spots black (where carpet gaps are) to hide the real color. If you feel like doing another color and it is going to be visible, I would recommend something not bright and not glossy as it could cause glare.

I would reinstall heat insulation near the transmission, rear seat/deck area, and along sill by oil lines (is there originally some there?). A stripped interior is going to get very hot. This can be pretty annoying in a street car. Not to mention loud, which you've discovered.

Originally Posted by jpettit
The only other things I would remove are the pad on the back seat buckets (not the rear wall/deck) and the roughly 2mm thick rubber/plastic mat which is glued to the metal under the floor mats. Do you think it would be that much louder?
Unless this is a full track car, I would recommend leaving the mats installed. They insulate both noise and heat. If they are deteriorating that is a different story, but usually they remain instact. Also, removing them exposes the primer layer underneath, leaving a big grey square.

Hiding the wiring is kind of case-by-case. Depends on where it is. Plenty of sleeves or covers to use, coiled nylon, ribbed plastic, ABS mesh tube, etc.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 09-27-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:11 PM
jpettit
Intermediate

Good info. So can I just paint the mats once I get them clean enough? I intended to put Rennline floor mats down.

Also I just came across the Dynadeck product by Dynamat. It is thermally and acoustically insulating. Anyone have experience with it? I suppose if I go with that thick of a floor covering, I might as well do carpet.

The car is a driver, no track use.

From the color standpoint, I currently have a hodgepodge of different shades of tan from partial touch ups by prior owners. Original door panels medium tan, carpet was a light tan faded from original that may have matched doors, front seats nearly cork, back seats and rear covered panels somewhere in between. My vision was to go black on the interior (thus the satin black paint to match the targa bar), return the exterior to it's original petrol blue metallic with black trim, and reupholster the seats and rear panels in black leather with contrast stitching to match the petrol.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Removing the sound damping from the floor will make the car louder. Removing the rear seats and sound pad will make the car much louder. That said, there are better materials and techniques to use these days than Porsche had in the 80s.

As you're discovering, material colors fade at different rates, and anything but black tends to clash pretty hard...I would try and stick with one color per material and not try too hard to match between the two. Black goes with everything...

I don't believe much in the DynaDeck. It's just a slab of mass that would be less efficient than a thermal decoupling layer and then a barrier. Heat comes in through the rear and the sides, but nowhere else, really...Consider your goals before you go crazy...You won't like what it costs to improve on what's there.

Feel free to join me down my rabbit hole of noise reduction and insulation:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...nsulation.html

And my thread specifically for bringing the interior down to paint:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...own-paint.html

It's not fun. I used a multitool, CitrusStrip, and eventually a high school kid to get it done...For paint, I'd go with a brushable 2-part epoxy primer in satin black...
Old 09-28-2017, 08:54 PM
jpettit
Intermediate

Wow...I'm exhausted just reading it all. Feeling more like a interior carpet and upholstery color change is plenty!

Thanks so much for all the good info (and sweat equity!!!)
Old 09-29-2017, 02:59 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jpettit
I hear you (barely) I've been driving the past 2 months without carpet. The only other things I would remove are the pad on the back seat buckets (not the rear wall/deck) and the roughly 2mm thick rubber/plastic mat which is glued to the metal under the floor mats. Do you think it would be that much louder?
Based on my racecar, you have no idea how loud a Porsche without any interior stuffing can be. I wear 29db earplugs inside my helmet.

Rich

Quick Reply: 911sc Interior Restomod advice