Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

O2 sensor, idle search

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 11:26 AM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor, idle search

recently installed a stock SW performance chip. now noticing an occasional idle search 500-1500 rpms, sometimes settles out on its own. happens cold and warm. any advice? could it be something with the O2 sensor?
thanks
Old 12-07-2003, 02:11 PM
Juan
Instructor

More likely a flaw in the "new" firmware.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi JR, sent you a PM. The new program had increased the idle timing from 3.5 degrees to approximately 5 degrees, which will raise the net idle speed a little. You will probably need to adjust the idle down a little at the throttle body. Many guys have preferred the increased idle timing over the stock timing because it makes for smoother engagement from a stop to when you release the clutch and go. If you aren't able to get the idle to stabilize, let me know and I'll swap you out for a chip with stock idle ignition timing.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:02 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts
Talking

JR

Just had the same problem on an 85 Carrera, no chip, would surge sometimes between 800 and 1200 rpm. I did a search on Pelican and deduced it was an Idle Control Valve or ICV. Changed it out 1200 miles ago and all is well. During my search possilble problems were vacumn leak which I suspect would cause the problem all the time or fuel mixture which would also be a continuous problem versus a stickey ICV. However since you just changed your chip it could also be the problem. If you have the old chip I would swap it back and see if the problem goes away.

Gool Luck
Peter
Old 12-10-2003, 12:26 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Adjusted the idle down a bit at the throttle body and this seems to have settled out the idle search. I'll let you know if it returns. Thanks for the help...
Old 12-10-2003, 06:14 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem. It was the mixture, which would make sense since you've installed the SW chip. Adjusting the idle may only be masking the real problem.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:17 AM
hokiefan
Intermediate

scottb,
How did you determine it was a mixture issue and what was your solution?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:23 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Scottb is correct. A rich mixture usually results in an idle "hunting"
problem. As I've said many times; "Who knows what you get when you
put a performance chip in your car."

Check out this website (www.systemsc.com) on the Technical, Problems,
and Graphs pages for some possible helpful info.

Have Fun
Loren
'88 3,2
Old 12-11-2003, 07:30 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JR: Someone on the Pelican Board suggested mixture to me....after I had already replaced the 0-2 sensor, the head temp sensor and the idle control valve. I took the car to my mechanic and had him adjust the mixture. Voila! Problem solved.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:39 AM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Someone else may benefit from my experience.
My '84 3.2 Carrera has had an idle search problem for about 3 years. Hot or Cold, sometimes worse than others.
Very annoying to pull up to a traffic light and have a surging motor in a cool car. Car has always started well
and runs strong even with 130K miles. I had tried/done most of the usual stuff: New O2 sensor, Head Temp sensor,
Techron, replaced the fuel injectors on the R side and rebuilt the )-rings on the L side, etc.
I have had a K&N cylinder shape filter for 5 or 6 years

I "learned" sometime ago from a Porsche Dealer sales manager that they were seeing cars with K&N Filters
(though any reusable/spray oil types would apply) in which ppl were cleaning and re-oiling the filters and NOT allowing adequate
drying time before placing them back in the car. That undry oil is the pulled into the air intake and coats the MAF sensors, screwing things up.
If you use these oil filters make sure that you do NOT over oil and make sure it has dried well before re-installation. Probably info well covered
in the "directions."

Have I done that? Possibly, while in a hurry prepping for a DE or Auto-X. So today, I removed the filter and sprayed air intake cleaner (NOT
Carburetor Cleaner--there is a difference!) into the MAF air intake and voila, within a few minutes the surging appears to be gone. I took her out for a spin
and didn't see any recurrence.
regards

Quick Reply: O2 sensor, idle search