Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Undercarriage question help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 02:17 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Undercarriage question help!!

Does anyone know or have images or diagram of what exactly is in the middle of a 1988 911 3.2? The area directly behind the middle of the undercarriage thats covered. More specifically, wondering what is in area on drivers side right in front of the rear jack point? My car has an indention in this area and im worried if theres fuel lines that run in that area? Cant seem to find any pics online with that undercarriage guard removed.
thanks much!
leon
Old 08-20-2017, 03:02 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There's nothing in the middle of the car but sheet metal. If you want to see what's in front of the jack tube, shine a flashlight under your driver's seat You'll see an ECU and some wiring.

The fuel lines are inside the center tunnel.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:47 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Dave
There's nothing in the middle of the car but sheet metal. If you want to see what's in front of the jack tube, shine a flashlight under your driver's seat You'll see an ECU and some wiring.

The fuel lines are inside the center tunnel.
thank you very much Dave! Big sigh of relief i thought maybe there could be potential issues due to the indention in the area right in front of the jack tube. Is that under body panel in middle of car the backside of whats on the floor in the interior of car? I thought it was just a cover of some sorts and that the sheet metal for the interior of car was behind it.

Thanks again! Cant seem to find any pics of that middle under car guard removed to see whats behind it.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:45 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

There's no cover or guard. The whole middle section is the floor pan. It's just sheet metal with sound deadening tar and paint on the interior side, covered with carpet.

In the entire middle section of the car, the only things that are hidden are the shift rod and linkage, the fuel lines and the main wiring harness. All of those things run inside the center tunnel.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:49 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

By the way, since you're new to the 911 and searching for knowledge, an excellent source for learning all about how the car is put together is the Bentley service manual. Every chapter begins with a discussion of the various systems and how they work. A cheaper alternative would be the Haynes manual, but the Bentley manual is the gold standard for DIY and if you intend to work on your car at all, it's a must.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:40 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Dave
There's no cover or guard. The whole middle section is the floor pan. It's just sheet metal with sound deadening tar and paint on the interior side, covered with carpet.

In the entire middle section of the car, the only things that are hidden are the shift rod and linkage, the fuel lines and the main wiring harness. All of those things run inside the center tunnel.
got it! Thank you a to Dave. im learnjng something every day on this site. Just got my car two wks ago so still figuring it all out! Gotta get my cat straight pipe back on instead of the stock cat. Its sooo damn quiet.

Thnx again!
leon
Old 08-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a removable plate at the rack and pinion. It covers the fuel pump. You'd really have to slam into something to damage fuel lines. Otherwise there isn't much. You have AC lines under the left/driver's side rocker and oil lines under the right/passenger side rocker panel.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:51 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

what WILL damage fuel lines is age and ethanol mix gas
- replace all the rubber ones with new from the dealer

- same for rubber brake hoses - dealer items will be TUV approved
avoid the metal sheathed Racer Boy Bling brake hoses

check the tires for date codes - replace if older than 6 years no matter how much tread is left

repl. brake fluid every 2 years

repl. other old fluids

if you don't know if a service item was done then assume it was not done

rubber suspension bushings must be replaced also

do you have any old Service records? if so, review & organize - I put the date, mileage, cost, and item completed in an Excel spreadsheet
- a very famous engineer and 911 owner, the late, great Grady Clay used loose leaf notebooks

what did the PPI show?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:31 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by r911
what WILL damage fuel lines is age and ethanol mix gas
- replace all the rubber ones with new from the dealer

- same for rubber brake hoses - dealer items will be TUV approved
avoid the metal sheathed Racer Boy Bling

brake hoses

check the tires for date codes - replace if older than 6 years no matter how much tread is left

repl. brake fluid every 2 years

repl. other old fluids

if you don't know if a service item was done then assume it was not done

rubber suspension bushings must be replaced also

do you have any old Service records? if so, review & organize - I put the date, mileage, cost, and item completed in an Excel spreadsheet
- a very famous engineer and 911 owner, the late, great Grady Clay used loose leaf notebooks

what did the PPI show?

thank you very much. There were several misc items that needed to be replaced whih i will get to soon.

the floor pan having a slight indentation directly behind the driver seat right where the rear seat footwell will that negatively impact driving dynamics of the car outside of very high speed aerodynamics?
Hopefully like you all menioned theres no fuel lines right there that could have been damaged but now wondering if that dent may cause issues with car drives. I know its mianly the suspension, tires that do most of the work in terms of tracking driving dynamics of a car but im sure the floor pan/underside that helps hold car together is important too.

please school me!
leon
Old 08-21-2017, 01:58 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Your car was built like a tank by men that know how to build tanks. Unless you can see Union Pacific railroad ties hanging from your tranny you're good.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:07 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

no, unless it somehow warped the unit body out of alignment

you can likely just it back into place

these cars don't really have much in the way of very high speed aerodynamics - this is before computational fluid dynamics (due to lack of computers in the 1960s)

Porsche was a leader and was able to reduce the Cd some and then tried to prevent lift - mostly by using wool tufts glued onto the body
Old 08-21-2017, 03:50 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Your car was built like a tank by men that know how to build tanks. Unless you can see Union Pacific railroad ties hanging from your tranny you're good.
lmao! Always count on ya for good info and a laugh. On that note, got any pics to share of your 911?
Old 08-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Poor car is mid project right now and doesn't ever really come out in summer. Here is a picture of my little birthday drive to The City.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2017, 11:30 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Poor car is mid project right now and doesn't ever really come out in summer. Here is a picture of my little birthday drive to The City.
nice pic! Love that duck tail. Are you in bay area? Or were you guys visiting?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by spreeleon
nice pic! Love that duck tail. Are you in bay area? Or were you guys visiting?
Just visiting the memories of my childhood. My grandfather was the second birth registered after the 1906 earthquake. Spent every summer as a kid visiting their house in Daly City and their coffee shop off Market street. Spent a week celebrating my 50th birthday. Three days on the wharf, then Sonoma, then Scott's Valley, then Moonstone Beach. Glorious adventure going back in time.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Undercarriage question help!!