Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is the heater blower motor repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 01:11 PM
wtmeyer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the heater blower motor repairable?

My heater blower motor does not work. The fan wobbles around inside the housing so I assume a bearing is bad. Is there a source for these parts or do I just buy a whole new blower assembly?
Old 11-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Juan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Car?? MY??

The 911 blower motor in the engine compartment is DIY repairable but the wobble could not apply to it.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:53 AM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did see a few threads on someone replacing their motor with a new one of non-OEM origin [on the Pelican board]. The level of effort though . . . I just bought a new assembly.

86 cpe
Old 11-28-2003, 01:34 AM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same thing happened to my 82. I looked into replacing the bushing, but IIRC it is pressed into the plate.

My solution was to backdate the heater. As a stopgap, I removed the squirrel cage and the guts of the blower, and put the empty housing back on. The engine fan moves plenty of air without the electric blower. I drove it like that for a year, and had plenty of heat.

Unfortunately the body of the blower is part of the support structure for the ducting, so you can't easily remove it without changing to the -74 style ducts.

To quote my old mechanic, "The blower is for the women."

Tom
Old 11-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

I bought an SC this spring with a bad blower motor. When the temp dropped this fall, I spoke to my mechanic about it. He said that the high heat and intermittent use causes then to gum up, and premature failure is quite common. He also said the motors are seldom repairable --- but thinking I'm smarter than he is, I decided to take it apart, replace the brushes, tinker for the next four hours, and then throwing it all in the trash, confirming my mechanic's diagnosis.

Replacing with a used motor is a not such a great idea, either --- you're buying something of the same vintage, and failure is just as likely to be imminent. Replacing with new seems to be the consensus.

As for whether you need it at all, the engine fan doesn't move much air below about 3,500 RPM. If you want any heat in stop-and-go traffic (or if your wife does!), I'd definitely replace it.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:41 AM
dvkk
Advanced

I took the defective one from my 83 SC to the local German car wrecker. He showed me to the "heater fan bin" I found the exact same motor in excellent condition with a VW 411 part number on it. All I had to do was swap the fan and splice the wires to match the 911 connector.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:53 PM
markc123
Instructor

I once took mine to a autoelectric repair shop..He rebuilt it for 40 bucks..It lasted three months and quit...
Old 12-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Here's the Pelican thread:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ghlight=blower
Old 12-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Dave ... thanks for that link. Excellent article, saves $200, saved to my archive of tech tips for next year!

Quick Reply: Is the heater blower motor repairable?