Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

stuck clutch pedal 1980 911 SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:41 AM
rscone11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ivan, I got motivated this morning and reinstalled everything. When I push the pedal it immediately goes down an inch and stays there, will not return to same height as brake pedal.. When I push all the way it seems to function properly . I have a video. It doesn't seem like the helper arm is going back to the proper beginning position because my 1 mm gap is completely gone unless I go under the car and manually move it back to position. Does that make sense?
Old 08-11-2017, 08:29 AM
proporsche
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

yup it is most likely you do not have the adjustment correct..maybe you know but let run it again

1st ..you loose the cable and make the play on little finger larger.
2nd turn the 15mm nut wrench until you see any movement on the Omega spring.Then you adjust the play of 1mm .If you a re tall man loose the 15mm nut a little so the clutch will grab on lower portion if you are shorter man turn the 15mm nut until the omega spring moves and leave it there.If the clutch adjustment is different after you step on it couple of times ---broken pin or broken clutch fork...

Ivan

here is a little video how kinda go about it.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

Ivan I went over the adjustment with Randy also and came to the same conclusion. If it's not the pin in the pedall assembly it can only be a broken fork.
If the pedal assembly is not binding and the helper arm is not returning along with the little finger. To home position I am thinking clutch fork
Old 08-11-2017, 09:26 AM
proporsche
Instructor

yup ,as said before clutch fork unfortunately....
Old 08-11-2017, 09:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by proporsche
yup ,as said before clutch fork unfortunately....
if that's the case its a real shame really . Randy was telling me he had receipts for fairly recent new clutch and the dreaded pin I have to deal with in the helper arm had been removed, so some good work had been done. The only piece he could not find a quote for in the work was a new clutch fork. What a shame.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 PM
proporsche
Instructor

Ok it is time for some serious investigation.Randy do you have the telescopic camera ?Like this..
http://www.ukinspectioncamera.co.uk/...era%20Head.JPG

or you can use a good flash light and a mirror to look if you could see the clutch fork.

Also if the clutch fork is broken after every step you are suppose to readjust the play.Is that your case?Or you just have to move the arm back with a screwdriver?
Old 08-12-2017, 08:52 AM
rscone11
Instructor

Hi Ivan, I do not have a camera but I do have a flashlight and mirror. What are the steps to try to view the clutch fork, I assume that is what you are getting at. Thanks
Old 08-12-2017, 08:54 AM
rscone11
Instructor

also if it is the fork, I am to buy OEM? What else to replace while in there? Check the clutch disc wear. I did notice after buying the car there was some clutch chatter/shake.I assumed from the car sitting. The flywheel can be cleaned/machined I am sure to clear that issue.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:07 AM
proporsche
Instructor

Hi..did you not say the clutch is new?The fork come only as an original part.The disc, from i can see is pretty thick i would not worry about it.

Yes there is a little window on the upper side if you are lucky you could see the broken fork.

Another q..does the adjustment changes after stepping couple of times on the pedal??
Old 08-12-2017, 02:33 PM
rscone11
Instructor

HinIvan,
Yes the receipt for work completed @90000 miles is for new clutch, new flywheel, release bearing, tube assembly and mounts. Car now has 93250 miles. Work was completed in 2006. I can move the small arm back into position with a screwdriver but once I press on the pedal it moves forward and does not return to original position. When I move it back into position using the screwdriver , pedal is in correct position, gap is correct but press on the pedal and it doesn't return to proper position, no gap and spring is in forward position.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Yeah that small arm has an entire pressure plate pushing it back into position. I'd be interested in what Ivan says but it sure sounds like it's inside that clutch assembly.
Randy the inspection hole is on top of the transmission. Gone be hard to see without a borescope
Could you borrow or rent one ? .
Old 08-12-2017, 03:22 PM
proporsche
Instructor

so 1. when you press the pedal it does not come back to even position right?
2.the distance adjsuted is still 1mm after plenty of press on the pedal
3. what is this.."no gap and spring is in forward position." do you mean Omega spring?do you mean the complete arm with Omega spring is in forward position?

4.i am thinking now because of the original drop of the pedal it has to be inside the clutch ..you have not driven the car since right?
5.if the play you have adjusted on the little finger did not change it is not broken clutch fork but -you have not driven the car-----something happened to the TO bearing attachment to the pressure plate...
6 one more q..when you have removed the clutch arm ..were you able to move the shaft a little -twisting it?

7.really the best to go and see inside..
Old 08-12-2017, 03:28 PM
rscone11
Instructor

yes I mean the Omega spring is not back to original position ands the gap screw is up against the small arm, no gap left since the arm isn't going back to normal position
Old 08-12-2017, 03:28 PM
rscone11
Instructor

Clive, just spoke to my neighbor who does weekend races and he has a borescope I will be borrowing when he returns from lunch
Old 08-12-2017, 03:34 PM
rscone11
Instructor

Hi Ivan, I tried moving the arm but no dice. I don't want to mash it up.
I have not driven the car, its on stands now. I do need to start to warm up if I am daring the oil for the engine removal.
Once I get the borescope I will try to inspect. I saw one small opening on the right side of the engine as I am laying under it from crawling from the rear.. Is that the spot to look through, it was on the side? Or is there another hole I need to find?

Quick Reply: stuck clutch pedal 1980 911 SC