Replacing fan housing - help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 02:32 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing fan housing - help!

Hi all,

In an effort to tidy up my engine bay I decided to replace my original fan housing which was cracked in several spots. I ordered the 'upgraded' ESP version from Vertex Auto. It is a bit heavier than the original - which is odd.

Upon reassembly of everything I can't seem to get the fan strap to fit. It's like I need about 1/2inch longer bolt. And the entire re-mounting process was a huge PITA. I figured it would just slide into place, but it took some serious effort.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is the EPS version from Vertex just slightly larger in outside diameter?

thanks!

Jim
Old 07-30-2017, 03:42 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

It probably has more to do with your fan strap. Many times if you reassemble and its not in the exact spot in the slots below, it can be difficult to get the strap to connect. It has a lot to do with the bends in the strap. I don't think the Vertex piece is larger and they sell quite a few.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

I have heard that the vertex ones require work to get them to fit. They sell a lot as they are about the only option but I often hear fine tuning is required. Although I'm not sure what that entails
Old 07-30-2017, 05:22 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, the housing that came on the car was Magnesium, which is very lightweight. The Vertex one is Aluminum (twice as heavy). you need to ensure all the slots on the housing line up with the indentions on the mount on the motor. If not aligned, you'll never get the the strap to fit properly. I've done several over the years, but the Vertex one has been the hardest. I've had mine on for approximately 5 years and it works like a charm. The reason the Magnesium housing supports cracked is due to corrosion in those supports and over tightening of the strap. Alignment of the housing is critical.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:39 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I'm positive the new housing is seated properly now. Everything seems to be in perfect alignment. Still can't the the strap secured though. I'm going to have to find a slightly longer bolt to do the job. The original is 8x45mm. I'll see what my local auto parts store has...

Last edited by jclanin; 07-30-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:02 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the fan belt is off. You'll need all the movement you can get. I jiggled my housing while I was tightening it to ensure it fell into the appropriate slots/crevices. A longer bolt is OK since the Vertex housing may be a few mils thicker. I would make sure it is a grade 8 material.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:34 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Ok guys, I'm back to square one and need some help.

I was able to find a 55mm long hardened 8mm bolt and got the strap engaged. But upon re-assembly of the fan/belt it seems the housing is indeed NOT seated all the way back on the bottom. The belt was almost impossible to get on and when I do it seems to rub every so slightly on the bottom of the housing - not good.

So, if any of you would be so kind as to take a close up pic of the bottom of your housing where it almost meets the belt drive that would be super. And if any of you have the fan off and can take a close up pic to show if there is any space between the back of the housing and the engine that would be super helpful as well.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull everything off again and start over. I just can't figure out what could be holding the housing out ever so slightly causing this spacing issue.

thanks in advance!

Jim
Old 08-01-2017, 10:15 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Jim I have an SC so I will wait to see if anyone posts Carrera pics first. definitely sounds like it is not seated properly or is tilted in some way
Old 08-01-2017, 11:18 AM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Jim I have an SC so I will wait to see if anyone posts Carrera pics first. definitely sounds like it is not seated properly or is tilted in some way
Yep - it's definitely (slightly) tilted out at the bottom. I just have to figure out how to squeeze it in there... I think the bottom is just handing on something.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I think you re going to be getting your file out
Old 08-01-2017, 11:44 AM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
I think you re going to be getting your file out
Ok - and what will I be filing down exactly?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jclanin
Ok - and what will I be filing down exactly?
Really? Start googling. The Vertex fan shroud is junk. Find yourself a cheap caliper tool and compare it to your original.

It's a sand casting made in South Africa. Looks like sometimes it's fine and other times you have to file off excess material from the grooves that mate up to the case.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 08-01-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

if you cant see where the interference is to stop it dropping into place perfectly ( I think there is a notch and groove at the bottom if I remember correctly. You may need some engineering blue or other product to mark where the interference is.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:24 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

I was able to see where the interference was happening on the bottom. I filed out (ever so slightly) the 'offending' area. I can now get it to seat all the way against the engine casing.... but only without the air diflector installed. Once I install that, the air 'fins' push against the top engine housing and no longer allow the bottom of the fan housing to seat properly. So now I'll need to file down the fins a tad. What a PITA.

You're correct Amber Gramps... the Vertex 'upgraded' aluminum housing is VERY poorly designed. And for the price I paid they will be getting an earful from me. If my original housing wasn't so badly cracked I would re-install it and send back the Vertex version.

I've definitely learned a bit more about Porsche engineering and a lot more about my patience (or lack there-of) with this little project...
Old 08-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My guess is that they didn't engineer new parts, but just made molds off good old parts. The molds degrade over time as sand sticks to the aluminum parts.

You also need to make sure your Top Dead Center Mark is correct and not off by 5°.

..,..and sorry I was such a dick. Some sellers get under my skin. It wasn't you.

Quick Reply: Replacing fan housing - help!