Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air cooled vs water cooled exhaust and engine sounds

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Tyler911R
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Not a lot...

If you have heard the 2 side by side. its not insanely different but the air cooled definitely better. It has more "put put" to it. its really hard to tell what type of engine it is unless you are a car guy.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:16 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suckho
Yesterday, I took Olympus LS-10 sound recorder from work and taped it on the rear bumper and did some test recording.. Pretty good already. I have to do it again with more time and completely warm engine on some quiet back roads and take her to red line. ..and maybe also in tunnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s92BcoPL5rM

The car is stock 911SC 1982 RoW (204hp) with Dansk pre-74 style stainless steel sport exhaust.
thanks for the sound clip. Very nice sounding!
does yours have pops and burbles when letting off gas? Im tryjng to get those pops!
Old 08-21-2017, 02:17 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

those are probably small backfires

and they aren't good, even if euphonic...
Old 08-21-2017, 03:52 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by r911
those are probably small backfires

and they aren't good, even if euphonic...
Yah i just loved those pops but now im missing them with a stock cat in place. Wanting to swap in the cat bypass pipe but want to make sure thats what was causing those lil pops and burbles.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:36 AM
suckho
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure about accurate definition of backfire, but these are certainly coming from exhaust, not intake side. I suppose stock exhaust system with this pre-muffler and more complex and longer pipes filter a lot of these sounds. Simpler pre-74 style exhaust with no pre-muffler lets them out as is.. am I correct?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:53 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

Absolutely nothing wrong. A gutted or semi-gutted muffler does this. You can't hear it with a stock muffler. The Dansk is the best for the money. SCART make a very sweet sounding muffler but it's a lot more money.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:58 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by sithot
Absolutely nothing wrong. A gutted or semi-gutted muffler does this. You can't hear it with a stock muffler. The Dansk is the best for the money. SCART make a very sweet sounding muffler but it's a lot more money.
Do you happen to have a Dansk sport 70mm one in one out as well? I have 1988 3.2 and have a stock cat and then just got the Dansk sport one in one out 70 mm and i get ZERO burbles and pops. I am missing that lovely sound and am hoping that simply swapping out the stock cat to the cat bypass pipe will give me those pops. Anyone have that combination of bypass pipe and dansk one in one out?
Old 08-21-2017, 04:25 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

My ex-SC I sold had a Dansk Sport muffler on it with miles. Some DE and a lot of street. I've also heard new ones that didn't have the "edge" mine did. The one in the sound clip sounded close.
Go to the SCART site and listen to cars with their sport muffler in place. They all make great noises when downshifting. 911's have always sounded like this with a sport muffler. Pre-'75 cars with "dual exhausts" and stock mufflers make unique sounds, either 2 into 2 outlets or 2 into 1 outlet.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:31 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by sithot
My ex-SC I sold had a Dansk Sport muffler on it with miles. Some DE and a lot of street. I've also heard new ones that didn't have the "edge" mine did. The one in the sound clip sounded close.
Go to the SCART site and listen to cars with their sport muffler in place. They all make great noises when downshifting. 911's have always sounded like this with a sport muffler. Pre-'75 cars with "dual exhausts" and stock mufflers make unique sounds, either 2 into 2 outlets or 2 into 1 outlet.
cool ill check out the scarts mufflers. Do you know if you had cat bypass pipes in your old sc that had the dansk sport muffler? Im trying to figure out if its the stock cat i have paired with the dansk sport that is silencing all those burbles and pops.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:08 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spreeleon
cool ill check out the scarts mufflers. Do you know if you had cat bypass pipes in your old sc that had the dansk sport muffler? Im trying to figure out if its the stock cat i have paired with the dansk sport that is silencing all those burbles and pops.
SSI heat exchangers.

Last edited by sithot; 08-21-2017 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Incorrect
Old 08-21-2017, 05:32 PM
suckho
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spreeleon
Do you happen to have a Dansk sport 70mm one in one out as well?
My car (the one in that youtube clip) has two in one out Dansk sport exhaust. It is pre-74 style system so it doesn't have pre-muffler nor bypass pipe at all.

Like this one: http://en.9xx-parts.com/product/3528/exhaust-set

My friend has later style (post-74) sport exhaust with pre-muffler bypass in his C3.2 and the sound is much cleaner. Not bad, but different. Cleaner and less aggressive I would say. Then my little brother has a stock exhaust (with pre-muffler) in his SC and it is much more quiet.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Johnny Mayday
Rennlist Town Crier

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm really curious as to how the new Singer engine will sound... It sure looks beautiful!

Old 08-22-2017, 03:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Yes. The thrashing and violence of all the metal on metal comes through to the outside world from an air cooled.
that's a good way to describe it...
the way the fan whirs and clatters, the cylinder fins ringing, etc, add a bit of "brutality" for lack of a better term to the exhaust/engine note in the old air-coolers.

996+ is the sound of 6 horizontally opposed cylinders firing and nothing else. still a good sound, but lacking the extra WOW of the older stuff.

i double-dog dare you to look up Subaru flat-6 exhaust videos and watch with your eyes closed and not picture a 996 pulling away...
Old 08-22-2017, 03:46 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
the way the fan whirs and clatters, the cylinder fins ringing, etc, add a bit of "brutality" for lack of a better term to the exhaust/engine note in the old air-coolers.

996+ is the sound of 6 horizontally opposed cylinders firing and nothing else. still a good sound, but lacking the extra WOW of the older stuff.

i double-dog dare you to look up Subaru flat-6 exhaust videos and watch with your eyes closed and not picture a 996 pulling away...
718 Boxster or Cayman for sure!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 PM
Johnny Mayday
Rennlist Town Crier

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket

Good point...

Quick Reply: Air cooled vs water cooled exhaust and engine sounds