Air cooled vs water cooled exhaust and engine sounds

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 03:00 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air cooled vs water cooled exhaust and engine sounds

Hello all!

i was curious for those who have both air cooled and water cooled how would you compare the exhaust and engine sounds?
i am curious to how a similarly modded air cooled compared to water cooled? I hear all this hype about air cooled sounds but when i look on youtube the 80s cars even when modded dont sound as aggressive as the 996/997 cars. Maybe im watching the wrong vids??

thanks
Old 07-23-2017, 03:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Didn't know 996/997 had an exhaust note. Water drowns out all the worthwhile engine sounds.....leaving only fart can noises to be heard.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:19 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Didn't know 996/997 had an exhaust note. Water drowns out all the worthwhile engine sounds.....leaving only fart can noises to be heard.
so its more of the whirling fans and engine noises that people rave about correct??
Old 07-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Yes. The thrashing and violence of all the metal on metal comes through to the outside world from an air cooled.

Look for my car on the dyno at Bisimoto on instagram at roqxzanna@instagram
Old 07-23-2017, 07:24 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I love the sound of a flat six. Even some of the water pumpers.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spreeleon
so its more of the whirling fans and engine noises that people rave about correct??
NO, the intakes resonate also. You can actually hear the air being sucked into the cylinders, and the motor making power out of the air. An air-cooled Porsche flat six on full wail, wide open throttle, screaming through a canyon or up a hill is like nothing, NOTHING else. It's like comparing Leica vs. Kodak cameras. Or a Vitamix blender vs. a Kenmore. If you want transportation, get a water cooled car. If you want to hear the air being ripped into screaming smoke and heat, then get an air-cooled Porsche.

Last edited by rusnak; 07-23-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:24 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Hello all!

i was curious for those who have both air cooled and water cooled how would you compare the exhaust and engine sounds?
i am curious to how a similarly modded air cooled compared to water cooled? I hear all this hype about air cooled sounds but when i look on youtube the 80s cars even when modded dont sound as aggressive as the 996/997 cars. Maybe im watching the wrong vids??

thanks
the exhaust note is a matter of catalytic converters, mufflers, etc., easily modified aka, cat bypass, sport mufflers and more. So, now we are down to engine sounds, IMHO there is no comparison to an air-cooled flat six and anything else. The air flow, the mechanicals and more make these cars outstanding. I have an air-cooled and a water-cooled albeit the water-cooled is a turbo so it has an "extra" muffler, but there is a huge difference on engine sound. when I drive air-cooled, I say beast.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:50 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by grgallo
the exhaust note is a matter of catalytic converters, mufflers, etc., easily modified aka, cat bypass, sport mufflers and more. So, now we are down to engine sounds, IMHO there is no comparison to an air-cooled flat six and anything else. The air flow, the mechanicals and more make these cars outstanding. I have an air-cooled and a water-cooled albeit the water-cooled is a turbo so it has an "extra" muffler, but there is a huge difference on engine sound. when I drive air-cooled, I say beast.
majority of rennlist pcar enthusiasts are the coolest! All so willing to share their thoughts, praises, disdains. Such an awesome forum!

sounds like theres a consensus that a fully modded exhaust system on a water cooled still cant rival an air cooled. Its just that i have been looking at tons of youtube videos and so many scs ive heard even with ssi heat exchangers and dansk exhausts sound rather quiet and tame. Yes i do hear the fan noises but its still pretty quiet. Anyone got good clips on yourube to share?

the vids ive seen of magnus walker's air cooled cars are insane and wicked but its very very rare i hear of othwr cars sounding like his. Im sure his engines are totallt tuned and modded to the max.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:51 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

grr...hate this forum software.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:06 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

click on the instagram link in this pelican post

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post9134684

That is my lowly cab.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:30 AM
09mageec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the vids ive seen of magnus walker's air cooled cars are insane and wicked but its very very rare i hear of othwr cars sounding like his. Im sure his engines are totallt tuned and modded to the max.
This is most likely due to the fact that his videos are filmed with quality audio equipment. Check some reputable YouTube channels that do videos on the Air-cooled 911s, you'll hear what we mean. Petrolicious has an amazing channel on YT, check them out.

Or better yet, go find one and hear it in person.

-Cam
Old 07-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

There is also this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...911-video.html

Where are my keys?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My quiet and tame SC.

Mine has a SSI with a 2-in-2-out Dansk and it's pretty raw--almost too much at times but my fiance still manages to fall asleep in it somehow.

Edit: It's also worth noting you really do hear a lot more mechanical noise. Induction, valves clicking and clacking, everything. It's a trip.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

The bottom line is this .. Air cooled sound the way they do because that's the way these engines sound , it was just a byproduct of a good engine design. Water cooled cars were purposely designed to try and sound like an air cooled car . They even added gizmos like PSE buttons and other features to intentionally generate more sounds as they new when they went to water cooled they lost something.

Also keep in mid European noise abatement laws required production vehicles meet noise emission standards that never really existed years before. That's why a 911 sounds like a Toyota Camry when it comes off the line.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:17 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

thanks for the vids above all! I'll have to do more searches on youtube. I am just curious if the air cooled "sounds" are more hype than actually being that much louder and more satisfying than water cooled with nice exhausts and cats? I've seen and watched lots of vids of both and often the air cooled in-car POV vids the sounds don't sound that aggressive to me. Mainly looking at the scs and 3.2 engines. Then i watch some 996 and 997 with fabspeeds and fvds and pse and it's much louder.

Quick Reply: Air cooled vs water cooled exhaust and engine sounds