Sponsored by:

Clutch dumps & Warranties etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:15 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch dumps & Warranties etc.

A few days ago I picked a nice 05 997. Here a link to the dealer ad.

http://www.expomc.com/invsys/details2.php?id=9624

The care recently had the engine replaced by Porsche by the PO. He paid cash as it wasn’t under warranty. So it came with a 2 yr in the engine. When I got it there was a rattle in the engine area. No engine lights were on. The rattle has gotten louder over the past week and now its more of a knock. Not only that but the engine light is on (As of yesterday).

The previous owner raced the car and if you looked at the pics, you can tell from the setup it was probably run pretty hard. I am ok with this as I love the car.

I am curious, I can’t imagine that racing the car would void the warranty. But is there some sort of data logger that Porsche could pull data from and see that the previous owner did clutch dumps potentially voiding the warranty?

I have not done anything like that but I just want to cover all bases when I take it in tomorrow. I don’t want to be blind sided with a denied warranty claim because of something the PO did.

Thanks!

Steven
Old 01-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by hausherrs
A few days ago I picked a nice 05 997. Here a link to the dealer ad.

http://www.expomc.com/invsys/details2.php?id=9624

The care recently had the engine replaced by Porsche by the PO. He paid cash as it wasn’t under warranty. So it came with a 2 yr in the engine. When I got it there was a rattle in the engine area. No engine lights were on. The rattle has gotten louder over the past week and now its more of a knock. Not only that but the engine light is on (As of yesterday).

The previous owner raced the car and if you looked at the pics, you can tell from the setup it was probably run pretty hard. I am ok with this as I love the car.

I am curious, I can’t imagine that racing the car would void the warranty. But is there some sort of data logger that Porsche could pull data from and see that the previous owner did clutch dumps potentially voiding the warranty?

I have not done anything like that but I just want to cover all bases when I take it in tomorrow. I don’t want to be blind sided with a denied warranty claim because of something the PO did.

Thanks!

Steven
Check owners manual -- maybe in the warranty booklet/section -- but I believe in the owners manual there is a caution that entering the vehicle in competitive events can void the warranty. There may be a caution against fitting car with "race" tires too.

The engine controller performs some data logging function. It records over rev events of various severity ranging from just bumping up against the rev limiter (no biggie unless this number quite high which indicates the car's been taken to redline almost every shift) to OMG the engine's toast over revs and a few in between.

Chances are dealer will pull the over revs event info and if they are severe enough, and there is enough of them, the dealer could reject any warranty claims citing abuse or misuse of the vehicle.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

As Macster said, there will be a log of over-rev which dealers would use to void warranty. I'd also be worried as the car is heavily modded from the pics and for sure was raced extensively. They would immediately read the ECU to see what's up, just cause it looks modded.

Since you bought it just a few days ago, I'd definitely go back to the dealer to fix it, or for them to take it for warranty. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:04 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love how the ad mentions that the car has an aftermarket steering wheel (without airbag) but nothing of the replaced engine.

Nothing like truth in advertising.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:28 AM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I am taking it in today. It sounds like a lifter. I have bounced it off the rev limiter maybe 3 - 4 times over the last week but have no idea how the previous drivers drove it.

Thanks,

Steven
Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why did the PO have to pay for the engine? Wasnt it under the original 4yr/50k wrrty?
Separately, my CPO document reads something like: "wrrty will be voided if the car is tracked, EVEN PORSCHE SPONSORED EVENTS"!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

You seem to be saying that the previous owner had to put in a new engine (denied warranty) and that new engine may also be suspect? Did you opt for the extended warranty? (Offered on the ad). I assume the place that sold the car is also a qualified repair facility? If you just bought the car then go to them. You're already bouncing off the rev limiter in the last week?

Note that you gain nothing by getting that close to redline. Take a look at the peak horsepower points on the engine.

I'm assuuming you got a significant deal on that car that appears to have had the snot driven out of it and with only 22,000 miles on it. Caveate Emptor.

Last edited by Edgy01; 01-19-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:27 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Its an 05. Warranty expired. Engine was installed by Porsche dealer in Austin TX. I wasnt trying to hit the rev limiter, it was unintentional. I drive the crap out of all my cars. I just dont see the point in owning a car like this if your going to drive it like a caddy. This engine has about 1000 miles on it and according to the dealer that installed the engine has been making the noise since the installation. I know, I dont understand ether. I called North Houston Porsche and Roger Beasly Porsche in Austin and the first thing they said when I mentioned the "Noise" was "911s are noisy".

The dealer that I bought it from isnt likly to do anything to help me out so at this point I am not counting on them. I will cross each bridge as I come to it. I am not afraid to spend a little money on the car if I have to.

Worse case the dealer in Austin said they would replace the engine again at no cost because its under warranty. Every bit if work that has ever been done to this car was completed by them. Aside from the engine issue the car is completely flawless. I paid 50 for it BTW.

Thanks for the replies.

Steven
Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Another question. The car was tracked, thats no secret. If the engine was replaced and with it came the standard 2 year warranty unlimited miles less then a thousand miles ago. The dealer has no way of knowing the car was tracked since the new engine, would the new engine warranty still be void?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

It all sounds fishy to be honest.

I hope it's a minor issue, but something smells as the car must have still been under warranty, the engine should have been replaced properly, you need to have some paperwork for the repair, the delaer who sold you the car should have stood by what they sold, etc...

Take it in and tell us what happens.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:18 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hausherrs
Its an 05. Warranty expired. Engine was installed by Porsche dealer in Austin TX. I wasnt trying to hit the rev limiter, it was unintentional. I drive the crap out of all my cars. I just dont see the point in owning a car like this if your going to drive it like a caddy. This engine has about 1000 miles on it and according to the dealer that installed the engine has been making the noise since the installation. I know, I dont understand ether. I called North Houston Porsche and Roger Beasly Porsche in Austin and the first thing they said when I mentioned the "Noise" was "911s are noisy".

The dealer that I bought it from isnt likly to do anything to help me out so at this point I am not counting on them. I will cross each bridge as I come to it. I am not afraid to spend a little money on the car if I have to.

Worse case the dealer in Austin said they would replace the engine again at no cost because its under warranty. Every bit if work that has ever been done to this car was completed by them. Aside from the engine issue the car is completely flawless. I paid 50 for it BTW.

Thanks for the replies.

Steven

ok sorry, i missread your OP. I thought you wrote that the PO replaced the engine 2 yrs AGO. If you live in Houston, why not go to a local dealer rather than driving it to Austin? Any authorized dealer can handle the wrrty. Also the used car lot has nothing to do w/ the car now.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:26 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

I have contact info for the PO and hes willing to answer any questions I have about the car. He also said he would authorize the dealer to release all the service records to me. So I am working on documentation. Should have it shortly.

I dont want to take the car back to the dealership I bought it from as I dont want them working on it or attempting to do so.

If I am left high and dry with a $12k bill for a new engine I will be going back to the dealer that sold me the car. To complicate matters my friend was my sales associate that closed the deal. So thats ether a good or bad thing. He will do whatever he can to help me out or it could potentially make a mess of the friendship. As I said, cross those bridges when I get to them. I am not going to assume anything at this point.

Thanks,

Steven
Old 01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Dude, not sure if this is your first car purchase or what, but what you're doing/saying doesn't really make sense.

If you bought the car a FEW DAYS AGO, you HAVE TO take it to where you bought it, and have them properly explain the issue and resolve it at no cost to you! not to have them necessarily fix it themselves. No matter if the sales person was your buddy or not... do you wanna be out $20K?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:31 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Problem is, the dealer that sold me the car doesn’t have to do anything. I bought it as-is. My only argument is that it had a little rattle when I bought it. I didn’t hear it at the time but as soon as I got it home and spent some time with it, jacked it up and crawled under with it running it became more apparent there was an issue. But I already signed the paperwork. I don’t know what your laws are where you are but here the sale is over and the dealership is not obligated to do anything. If they *Want* to help me out then they will but I am pretty sure they will not.

Here’s the plan,

1st: Take to Porsche and get confirmation that it will be covered under warranty.
2nd: If Porsche denies me I will take back to the dealer that I bought it from and explain that the engine warranty that they used as a selling point for the car is not valid. But that’s my word against theirs.

The car is mine, period. They will not take it back. I would rather try and deal with Porsche on getting this repaired then work with a used car dealership (If I don’t have to). The dealership I got the car from knows of the problems I am having. And they know I am trying to work it out with Porsche. If my attempts at working this out with Porsche fail then I will go back to the place I bought it and try to work something out with them.

I have already spoken with the service manager at Roger Beasley Porsche in Austin (Who installed the current engine) and they said they will honor the warranty and fix the bad engine. I am trying to prepare myself for the best and worst case scenario but as of right now I am 99% sure I will get the car covered under warranty at one dealership or another.

I don’t want to take it to the dealer because I don’t want them handling the car and delaying because they are lazy and potentially having some dip $hit joy ride it. Maybe I am a control freak or maybe dealing with the dealership that sold me the car gives me a knot in my stomach. Want it done right, do it yourself.

I am taking the car in to a different Porsche dealership today at 5. I am not certain that they will honor the warranty when they see that this is a track car. So there is a good chance that I will have to trailer it to Austin to get the warranty work completed. That doesn’t bother me, I like Austin

Steven
Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I can't quite remember but I believe there's a law against dealers who KNOWINGLY sell a problem car without declaring it, if you notice an issue witin a specific amount of time after you bought. Not sure what do you mean you bought it "as is"... I never sign on anything "as is", since it basically means there's something wrong with the item.

Basically you didn't do a proper inspection of the car before buying, and let's hope this is a minor issue covered under warranty. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Clutch dumps & Warranties etc.