Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

My Boxster GTS is finally here

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2024, 04:04 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 140 Posts
Default My Boxster GTS is finally here

Well after a long wait my Boxster GTS 4.0 has finally arrived and got settled in at home! Order day March 29th, arrival, August 3rd. Between PDI's and getting the car taken to the shop for Full PPF and the first must have mods, I finally got it back last week and have put about. 350 miles on it! And as many of you already know, or would have expected, the car is absolutely spectacular, I have had my fair share of fun sports cars ranging from multiple Supra's, F types, 996's, 944's, Miata's, SL's and so on and this is no doubt the best one I have had yet. I won't go into a long rant as to why it is so great, because you all already know, but this chassis ( My first mid engine car) combined with the 4.0 and 6 speed box, is a match made in heaven, and while TQ is significantly down from my last few cars, the pull up top past 5k is more than enough for me. I gave it a few hundred miles of subtle break in, but will go with what I and many engine builders tend to say which is avoid any constant RPM, lots of warm up, etc, but drive it how you plan to drive it! Like stated earlier I did full PPF straight from the dealer and also had a few little mods put on that I did not want to drive the car without - 7mm Spacers all around ( lost tire lottery, hate stretched look, want GT4 size PS4's asap for look and some more front end grip ) Clear side markers and a CG valve controller- which is an absolute must and I can see how the majority of people would be more than happy with just that ( especially in a Boxster ) and keeping the exhaust stock! Unfortunately for me and my wallet, I am not most people and already have Kline exhaust awaiting install in the coming week or two when my schedule allows it, that along with the BMC filters, followed after a few more weeks by the GT4 Short shifter ( even though I am very happy with the stock one, feels a good bit better than my A91 MT supra) , Wooden CGT shift ****, and the Burmester tweeters. And once Apex releases the right fitment for the new ML10RT's, a set of those will follow ( but most definitely next year)

Very happy with my how my spec came out, even though there are a few changes I wish I would have made, mainly consisting of adding more leather to places ( missed the extended top of dash/ sport chrono/ and the the dash end plates ( oh well next time) and doing the sport design package in high gloss black ( I was being cheap and figured I would cover it with gloss black PPF, but turns out the material is not very well suited to having put PPF over it, besides the front bumper trim, oh well I will order a cayman front lip and have it paint matched or done gloss black sometime next year, followed by a spyder ducktail) and I somehow forgot to make the factory badge gloss black, but everything else turned out amazing, many thanks to the people who pushed me to the Deviated seat centers as I think it really makes it a very unique spec, and the one who really pushed it and made it happen( you are on here!) Gentian is an amazing color, the silver wheels are my favorite choice by far, and I didn't think I would ever say this- I don't hate the red brake calipers, they tie in the rear lights/ reflectors pretty nicely and pop against the silver wheels ( I may still do black but I don't hate this like I thought I would) I do think these cars should be a little bit lower from factory, but alas I don't want it enough to mess with the great SPASM these cars come with, but a bit envious of the Spyder/GT4 guys who can lower on the factory coils! Overall ( and confirmed by my good friend who was a long time 718 GT4 owner) the GTS 4.0 gives you 7/10ths of those cars in sheer dynamism, while giving you an easy 30-40% more in comfort and daily drive ability ( which my car is) and even further accentuate by the fact I live in South Florida, where corners don't exist outside of a few highway on/off ramp high speed sweepers here and there. Well enough of hearing me, here are some proper photos my photographer buddy took of the other day and the cause of delay on my arrival post as I did not want to post Iphone Shots! ( yes my new vanity plate is on the way, 4L1TR, still rocking my supra one in the time being)

The following 26 users liked this post by Phillip Berk:
baege (08-31-2024), coldfire (08-31-2024), CUGTS (09-01-2024), DFW01TT (09-01-2024), Emsworth (09-01-2024), fasteddie99 (09-01-2024), GTSPYDER23 (08-31-2024), Jamie140 (09-02-2024), josephr25 (09-03-2024), markda (08-31-2024), Mike981S (09-05-2024), MOGI (09-02-2024), neteng101 (08-31-2024), NEUN_ELF (09-01-2024), Rich M (09-03-2024), rjag2034 (09-01-2024), RoadrunnerGTS (08-31-2024), RRnTexas (09-01-2024), ScottRich (09-01-2024), silverscooby27 (09-01-2024), slilley (09-01-2024), SpeedySpidey (08-31-2024), subwoofer (08-31-2024), UncleDude (08-31-2024), Victory911 (08-31-2024), Zakato70 (09-01-2024) and 21 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-31-2024, 09:26 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 317 Posts

@Phillip Berk

Congratulations and the car looks great! Seems like only yesterday we chatted about your build!

And the deviated seat centers came out great and I’m very happy that you went for them!

I am sorry that I have the true 4LITR Florida plate that caused you to receive a null search result 😂 But when your plate comes in our two Boxsters will be close cousins indeed!

Well done, and enjoy! Let me know if you want to do a break-in engine oil change at my shop in Stuart. I’d recommend it around 1500 miles. (Dealer won’t allow your first free engine oil change until closer to your one-year anniversary.)

The following users liked this post:
slilley (09-01-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 09:34 PM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 320 Posts

Beautiful, enjoy!
Old 08-31-2024, 09:41 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice!!
Old 08-31-2024, 09:43 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Really nice spec; the deviated seat centers are FIRE. (What a great Porsche option that is 'cheap' and too seldomly specified.)
Old 09-01-2024, 01:22 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,549 Likes on 863 Posts

Car looks so good. Wish i also went with deviated stitching in mine. Just got mine back from PPF today and already put 100 miles on it. I'm like you and after a few hundred miles i will be driving it as i want to.
Old 09-01-2024, 01:29 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 321 Posts

GTS is the sweet spot with Porsche's of any model.
You'll enjoy the ever living heck out of that car ... unless there's something deeply wrong with you.
Old 09-01-2024, 01:32 AM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 348SStb
@Phillip Berk

Congratulations and the car looks great! Seems like only yesterday we chatted about your build!

And the deviated seat centers came out great and I’m very happy that you went for them!

I am sorry that I have the true 4LITR Florida plate that caused you to receive a null search result 😂 But when your plate comes in our two Boxsters will be close cousins indeed!

Well done, and enjoy! Let me know if you want to do a break-in engine oil change at my shop in Stuart. I’d recommend it around 1500 miles. (Dealer won’t allow your first free engine oil change until closer to your one-year anniversary.)

Will definitely have to take you up on that! Yes you definitely are the inspiration behind the seat centers and I am very glad I did it! Going to probably get the kline exhaust thrown on next week or so!
Old 09-01-2024, 01:33 AM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Car looks so good. Wish i also went with deviated stitching in mine. Just got mine back from PPF today and already put 100 miles on it. I'm like you and after a few hundred miles i will be driving it as i want to.
You will love it the more you drive, get that valve controller in asap!
Old 09-01-2024, 08:34 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 408 Posts

Congratulations! Great choice of colors and especially the manual. Forget about all the stuff that a BGTS is somehow inferior to a Spyder/GT4 etc. It is much more usable car with a decent ride and moreover, you don't want to get caught in a rain storm with a manual top. That will get old very fast not to mention a destroyed interior when you are trying to second guess when it will start to pour. I am a part time Floridian too so I am familar with the sudden downpours. Haha. There is no way I would have a Spyder in Florida.

I recommend getting grille guards from Zunsport (or another vendor) to protect those exposed radiators. Porsche forgot to install them in the GTS. I have Zunsports andf they are a snap (literally) to install and I've no issues with cooling. Kline is the next obvious modification and you have a used one I see. Personally, I don't think you need a valve controller because the Kline with open valves is very civilized but if you want one, go for it. Just be prepared for an OEM-like timid sound when the valves are closed. Short shifter is great. It was standard in the Boxster 25 (what I own) and it is very nice.
Old 09-02-2024, 01:45 AM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subwoofer
Congratulations! Great choice of colors and especially the manual. Forget about all the stuff that a BGTS is somehow inferior to a Spyder/GT4 etc. It is much more usable car with a decent ride and moreover, you don't want to get caught in a rain storm with a manual top. That will get old very fast not to mention a destroyed interior when you are trying to second guess when it will start to pour. I am a part time Floridian too so I am familar with the sudden downpours. Haha. There is no way I would have a Spyder in Florida.

I recommend getting grille guards from Zunsport (or another vendor) to protect those exposed radiators. Porsche forgot to install them in the GTS. I have Zunsports andf they are a snap (literally) to install and I've no issues with cooling. Kline is the next obvious modification and you have a used one I see. Personally, I don't think you need a valve controller because the Kline with open valves is very civilized but if you want one, go for it. Just be prepared for an OEM-like timid sound when the valves are closed. Short shifter is great. It was standard in the Boxster 25 (what I own) and it is very nice.
Thank you for the kind words, yes I was given the opportunity to get a good deal on a 23 GT4 but turned down as I would rather have this, I love the open top experience. To me the spyder is the considerably better looking car, but alas from the driver seat not something you think about it! The power top was a huge sell point to me as since I have owned the car it has rained basically everyday and I like having the top down as much as possible, I have actually yet to drive the car with the top up more than 10-15 minutes or on the highway yet! Yes I keep on forgetting to order the Zunsport grills, as I do not want to remove the bumper for install, thanks for the reminder. And I think you are right, Since getting the car at least with the stock exhaust the only times I have closed them is to show people the difference, so it was more so just to have for if I ever do need to go back to quiet as valves open is the way to go for me. Can't wait for the kline, stock is good, honestly really good and gets way more hate than it deserves, for a stock exhaust to sound this good ( albeit, valve controller) is impressive for 2024 and when comparing against cars like my supra, any modern M, etc etc. I will say the one weird thing is with the valves open in the morning when the car is in normal mode and I have forgotten to turn stop start off, when it goes into 3 cyl mode it is very obvious, luckily easy fix. Maybe on long highway drives if I want efficiency I will do that and close the valves. And ya short shifter is going to go on asap, I think it is already great, but a little lower height, and a bit shorter of a throw will be perfect, I just hope it is not much more notchy, and I have found that 3 to 2 sometimes is a little tricky, it wants to go into 4th, and I have done it a few times on accident already.
Old 09-02-2024, 05:29 AM
toy car
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a nice car!!!!!
Old 09-02-2024, 05:30 AM
toy car
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

such a nice car!!!!!
Old 09-02-2024, 08:17 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 317 Posts

@Phillip Berk

Is there a front grill solution that requires the removal of the front bumper? If yes, I’d be interested to know.

I was one of the unlucky ones who experienced puncture an air confirming condenser during normal driving on the highway with my Boxster GTS 4.0; instead of paying $2900 quoted by the dealer to rectify, I removed the bumper myself and installed the part myself (about $350 rather than their $600) and then had the system recharged (about $300).

While the bumper was off, I figured I’d install the screens I had recently bought (not Zunnsport - I hadn’t known about that brand until this thread). But I realized the screens required install with the bumper on. Well — the front center piece was really a b*tch. And it didn’t come out close to perfectly. If there were a solution sitting inside while the bumper is off, that wouldn’t have been preferable. The first time I ever personally took a bumper off a car was on this occasion a year ago, and it was very, very easy. YouTube videos go a long way.

I subsequently installed front grille screens on all the cars for which they are available (again not Zunnsport brand) — all worked out really well.

Zunnsport doesn’t seem to have installation videos or even off guides for its products - or am I missing something? I am a little concerned about how the center piece would snap into place. The screen that I bought required bending and prying and it was a quite difficult project only to achieve a result that looks a little funky. And no matter how much tape is put down, it’s almost impossible not to chafe the black matte plastic in the area without prior experience chafing one already (hello, nice to meet you).

Regarding third to second gear, try treating the sequence as two separate shifts. Pop it straight down into neutral and then pop it over and down with a slight pause in between; if trying to “steer” the shifter down and over in one smooth sequence, I could see it giving you that trouble. Better still, if you perform double clutch downshifts (which completely bypass wear on the synchromesh), then you’d be forced to follow such a sequence. I highly recommend learning double clutch downshifting if it’s not a familiarity.

I bought the short shifter from Suncoast for my 991.2 and decided to bring the car over to them for install. Just out of curiosity, who did you have in mind for the vendor and installer for the short shifter?

When are we removing the transmission to send out to Sharkwerks for a re-gear of gears 2-5?
Old 09-02-2024, 09:17 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
@Phillip Berk

Is there a front grill solution that requires the removal of the front bumper? If yes, I’d be interested to know.

I was one of the unlucky ones who experienced puncture an air confirming condenser during normal driving on the highway with my Boxster GTS 4.0; instead of paying $2900 quoted by the dealer to rectify, I removed the bumper myself and installed the part myself (about $350 rather than their $600) and then had the system recharged (about $300).

While the bumper was off, I figured I’d install the screens I had recently bought (not Zunnsport - I hadn’t known about that brand until this thread). But I realized the screens required install with the bumper on. Well — the front center piece was really a b*tch. And it didn’t come out close to perfectly. If there were a solution sitting inside while the bumper is off, that wouldn’t have been preferable. The first time I ever personally took a bumper off a car was on this occasion a year ago, and it was very, very easy. YouTube videos go a long way.

I subsequently installed front grille screens on all the cars for which they are available (again not Zunnsport brand) — all worked out really well.

Zunnsport doesn’t seem to have installation videos or even off guides for its products - or am I missing something? I am a little concerned about how the center piece would snap into place. The screen that I bought required bending and prying and it was a quite difficult project only to achieve a result that looks a little funky. And no matter how much tape is put down, it’s almost impossible not to chafe the black matte plastic in the area without prior experience chafing one already (hello, nice to meet you).

Regarding third to second gear, try treating the sequence as two separate shifts. Pop it straight down into neutral and then pop it over and down with a slight pause in between; if trying to “steer” the shifter down and over in one smooth sequence, I could see it giving you that trouble. Better still, if you perform double clutch downshifts (which completely bypass wear on the synchromesh), then you’d be forced to follow such a sequence. I highly recommend learning double clutch downshifting if it’s not a familiarity.

I bought the short shifter from Suncoast for my 991.2 and decided to bring the car over to them for install. Just out of curiosity, who did you have in mind for the vendor and installer for the short shifter?

When are we removing the transmission to send out to Sharkwerks for a re-gear of gears 2-5?
I found these this video to be useful when I installed my Zunsports. Took me ~30 minutes. The masking tape can get caught so one has to be careful.

The following users liked this post:
348SStb (09-02-2024)

Quick Reply: My Boxster GTS is finally here