Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Doug Demuro review of Spyder RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2024, 10:20 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 894 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
I just timed my fat *** doing it in 1:18 (including getting in and out) lol. I guess I can optmize it a bit and shave some seconds off by doing it in the perfect order.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgQz1xCs7d4
Oh man I love this!!! LOL! I'm assuming the helmet precaution is similar to that of an F1 pit crew??

The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 10:37 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Well done!

So you CAN pop the trunk without popping a ski?
Old 07-18-2024, 10:38 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
but thats only 50% of the roof, how long to do the full roof. I had a 987 Spyder btw so I know :-)
Yes, but who ever puts the weather protector on?

With my 987 Spyder, only when going to OPC or full wash. It's not an often used configuration. But I'd guess it's another minute or so. Only three buttons on the RS weather protector instead of the 987's 5.

If you had a 987 Spyder, the RS basically all the same functional movements -- so same time. Guess few seconds are saved on the 987 because of the magnetic fin attachments.
Old 07-18-2024, 11:15 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Well done!

So you CAN pop the trunk without popping a ski?
Yes if the roof is not on. If the roof is on and fins are attached, no, or at least it didn't work for me when I tried.
Old 07-18-2024, 11:17 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bill_76
10 minutes? Had a regular Spyder for 3 years and now a Spyder RS. Regular takes 45 sec aprox, RS only Bimini a little over 1 min (1:15/1:30 min, full roof around 2:30 min.
So, full weather protection 2:30 min vs 45 sec. Once you drive the RS you will accept a 20 min roof operation, no point of comparison in driving experience, I’m a manual fan and have a 992 GT3 too in manual. My 992 GT3 is a Rolls compared to the Spyder RS interior experience, such a special car,. Three cars in one, all the roof options change the sounds and experience, I almost did not drive my regular Spyder with roof up, it was boring, I preferred my GT3 for roof experience, an loved it with no roof and manual. The RS is an event with full roof, bimini or no roof…bad *** car.
All the videos taking more than 3-4 minutes are laughable and done for the views. It's not difficult to deal with the roof and has not taken me more than 3 minutes even from the first attempt. Yes it's not 15 seconds holding a button while sitting in the driver seat, but it's not the end of the world to take 3 minutes to do something.
Mister Dre (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 11:23 AM
MattDFW
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 94 Posts

Agreed, I just picked up my SRS a few days ago. The roof is very easy to use and keeping the sunshade up and the back glass off is the move. The sound is amazing, and clearly the suspension is much softer then my old 4RS I traded in.
JAM2 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 01:01 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,555 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
I just timed my fat *** doing it in 1:18 (including getting in and out) lol. I guess I can optmize it a bit and shave some seconds off by doing it in the perfect order.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgQz1xCs7d4
was the helmet for eye protection ...... nice job, doesn't look too bad
Old 07-18-2024, 01:43 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Received 494 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
All the videos taking more than 3-4 minutes are laughable and done for the views. It's not difficult to deal with the roof and has not taken me more than 3 minutes even from the first attempt. Yes it's not 15 seconds holding a button while sitting in the driver seat, but it's not the end of the world to take 3 minutes to do something.
3 minutes is an eternity when the people who designed your car are laughing at you.

Expect excellence. This isn't excellence. It's an elaborate (and evidently successful) trolling attempt on the part of some German engineers, but it isn't excellence.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 07-18-2024 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2024, 03:01 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
3 minutes is an eternity when the people who designed your car are laughing at you.

Expect excellence. This isn't excellence. It's an elaborate (and evidently successful) trolling attempt on the part of some German engineers, but it isn't excellence.
This again? They are not laughing at us. Don't like it, don't buy the car, but let's not make stuff up. Not sure I've ever felt like 3 minutes is an eternity, nor do I feel anyone is laughing at us about this roof. Is it the best German engineering ever, no, but it's not something I really consider the worst, or expect that the engineers are laughing at the people buying the car.
Old 07-18-2024, 03:01 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 560 Posts

Let's all keep in mind, that Porsche made the SRS roof this way out of necessity, not choice, I believe. The regular Spyder roof was a weight saving choice.

Last edited by VVG; 07-18-2024 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2024, 03:34 PM
Mister Dre
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 23 Posts

I owned a regular Spyder for 2 years, and now have the SRS. After clocking in about 2K in the SRS ( half of which were in Malibu canyon roads ) , I can tell you that the SRS top is perfect for this car. The car itself is a unicorn, an anomaly, and the bimini top suits the SRS perfectly.
  • driving totally topless can be draining if you have a hot sunny day on your hands
  • Its unique, name any other car that has this feature
  • It is great topless, but sometimes you need a break from the sun, the Bimini top gives you that break, but you still get massive airflow through the cabin
  • Looks awesome w just. the bimini, and probably is the feature most brought up when I get compliments on the car ( which is every time I drive it )
  • The car sounds the best w just the bimini top. It channels more of those insanely good sounds directly into the cabin
  • Really is not that big a deal to put any variation of the roof on. 1 to 3 minutes. If that is too much time for you, or if you insist on staying on you *** in the car while the top is electronically put up, then this is not your car.
This car is for driving enthusiasts. We do not mind the quirks with this car, we embrace them.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mister Dre:
coldfire (07-19-2024), Fdvigna (07-18-2024), rcfun33 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 04:07 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Received 494 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
This again? They are not laughing at us. Don't like it, don't buy the car, but let's not make stuff up. Not sure I've ever felt like 3 minutes is an eternity, nor do I feel anyone is laughing at us about this roof. Is it the best German engineering ever, no, but it's not something I really consider the worst, or expect that the engineers are laughing at the people buying the car.
Put it up in a sudden downpour, and it will feel like an eternity, and it will be hilarious to onlookers (and engineers) the whole time.

Not a big risk at Cars & Coffee, granted, but for those of us who like to drive the cars...
Old 07-18-2024, 04:17 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Dre
I owned a regular Spyder for 2 years, and now have the SRS. After clocking in about 2K in the SRS ( half of which were in Malibu canyon roads ) , I can tell you that the SRS top is perfect for this car. The car itself is a unicorn, an anomaly, and the bimini top suits the SRS perfectly.
  • driving totally topless can be draining if you have a hot sunny day on your hands
  • Its unique, name any other car that has this feature
  • It is great topless, but sometimes you need a break from the sun, the Bimini top gives you that break, but you still get massive airflow through the cabin
  • Looks awesome w just. the bimini, and probably is the feature most brought up when I get compliments on the car ( which is every time I drive it )
  • The car sounds the best w just the bimini top. It channels more of those insanely good sounds directly into the cabin
  • Really is not that big a deal to put any variation of the roof on. 1 to 3 minutes. If that is too much time for you, or if you insist on staying on you *** in the car while the top is electronically put up, then this is not your car.
This car is for driving enthusiasts. We do not mind the quirks with this car, we embrace them.
great insight ! It is a feature of this car… so, for the naysayers, I say seat this one out…

IMO the Bimini top certainly adds to the want factor…I can’t wait to take delivery of mine…
Old 07-18-2024, 04:24 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Yeah, i’m sure that’s it.

Translation: I can’t get one, or am trying to rationalize deciding not to.

Last edited by Adrift; 07-18-2024 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2024, 04:27 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 555 Likes on 249 Posts

Put it up in a sudden downpour, and it will feel like an eternity, and it will be hilarious to onlookers (and engineers) the whole time.

Not a big risk at Cars & Coffee, granted, but for those of us who like to drive the cars...
When people want to trash something, they always will find a way to dislike it.

1) Spyder Rs owners generally do not use the cars as their daily (this is my 4th car), but some do.
2) If you are using it, you don't wait starts to rain; you see the weather changing; stop and put the roof on, at least the bimini. The same thing happened to a regular Spyder.

This is a small trade-off for all the car provides to you; I had/drove several cars (Lambo, Ferrari, Mclaren, Gt3s/Gt4, etc. none of them provide the particular experience the Spyder RS does... this is unique, a rare thing these days.

I hope your opinion is not based on not getting an allocation and maybe because you didn't drive it or tried the roof to have a real-life experience

Last edited by Bill_76; 07-18-2024 at 07:30 PM.
Drifting (07-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Doug Demuro review of Spyder RS