Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Doug Demuro review of Spyder RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 10:48 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 876 Posts

I like his reviews of quirky old cars because I like quirky stuff and I am entertained by them. He also has the ability to pick out annoying and quirky stuff about any new car that you are thinking of buying it but you have to take it with a grain of salt and finding and exaggerating the quirks are his shtick but he may help point out something that you would not have noticed till after you bought the car and it annoyed you.

Overall, he is mildly entertaining and informative to a point and I have purchased a car on Cars & Bids. I didn't watch this review though because that is not the type of car that he excels at reviewing.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (Yesterday)
Old 07-16-2024, 11:33 PM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

I couldn't get myself to keep watching past the 5-minute mark after he rambled on on a bunch of misinformation. It's the same whiny tone on silly stuff but never offers anything truly insightful, as is the case for all his videos. A lot of YT viewers like to whine on anything for any reason so I guess his style resonates with many. He is kind of like the late Richard Simmons of car reviewers
subwoofer (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Not sure how the "Doug Score" was a tie between 4RS and SRS for "comfort", when the spring rates are 50% less, of which he stated there is a clear improvement in ride quality....I would take an SRS over a 4RS in a heartbeat. Miss my 718 Spyder.

What do you miss about your 718 Spyder?
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
What would there be to not miss! I intend to keep mine until I’m unable to crawl in and out if it.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTSFX:
Airbag997 (Yesterday), ISPYA718 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 539 Posts

Doug, himself, presents as a guy with many "quirks and features" and that is part of his nerdy appeal. You cannot argue with his success. He is unique as the lone "car nerd" in the automotive journalism world.

I do wish, however, that all these people would be more meticulous with their research, because they ALL screw up some of the facts and details. Personally, I find the most useful and accurate information on Autogefuhl
The following 3 users liked this post by VVG:
JAhmed (Yesterday), Mike981S (Yesterday), UncleDude (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
Indepth
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
He also implies that the WP adds carbon when it's only exposed carbon so no weight savings unless you get the mag wheels which is only available with the WP
Came to say this. Doug tries to get all the facts right, but does miss on some - this one is fairly glaring.
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 269 Posts

If Asperger’s was a person.
Airbag997 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
Virtually everything. The looks (basically perfection), the open top, the chassis and feel, the noises, the mid-range grunt of the 4.0. The GT tuned PDK (much preferred over the longer geared manual I had in my GTS 4.0). It really was the perfect street car IMO.
ISPYA718 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Virtually everything. The looks (basically perfection), the open top, the chassis and feel, the noises, the mid-range grunt of the 4.0. The GT tuned PDK (much preferred over the longer geared manual I had in my GTS 4.0). It really was the perfect street car IMO.
Why did you get rid of it? Just curious. When I think about possible replacements for my Spyder, I really can't come up with anything.
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
Why did you get rid of it? Just curious. When I think about possible replacements for my Spyder, I really can't come up with anything.
I received a GT4RS buildable slot at MSRP with the 718 Spyder trade. I don't take delivery until Sept/October, so the verdict is out until then. I can always go back to a Spyder if the 4RS disappoints. I tried for the SRS, but couldn't get an allocation.
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
JohsonChou
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I received a GT4RS buildable slot at MSRP with the 718 Spyder trade. I don't take delivery until Sept/October, so the verdict is out until then. I can always go back to a Spyder if the 4RS disappoints. I tried for the SRS, but couldn't get an allocation.
Is your spyder trade at “market value” (carvana/carmax)

if not maybe it is worth it to pay a little adm for SRS. You can always earn more money. But changeable SRS is gonna be “never”
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
Is your spyder trade at “market value” (carvana/carmax)

if not maybe it is worth it to pay a little adm for SRS. You can always earn more money. But changeable SRS is gonna be “never”
I received $135k for my Spyder (several months ago) plus the tax credit (~$9k). Which was more than fair for me. My dealer is MSRP only for all new cars. That's their policy. Getting an allocation is a different story. I simply wasn't high enough on the list for the SRS, with far fewer allocations vs. 4RS. I still have high hopes for the 4RS.
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 576 Likes on 332 Posts

I enjoy Doug’s reviews, there are 50,000 other YouTubers telling me how “fast or engaging” a sports car is but no one is telling me about the goofy button that you’ll use everyday.

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
MaddMike (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

I received $135k for my Spyder (several months ago) plus the tax credit (~$9k). Which was more than fair for me. My dealer is MSRP only for all new cars. That's their policy. Getting an allocation is a different story. I simply wasn't high enough on the list for the SRS, with far fewer allocations vs. 4RS. I still have high hopes for the 4RS.
I have no doubt that the 4RS will be epic. I have never personally driven a 718 RS car. But it will be a different experience. I have decided that the open top experience adds so much for me to the overall driving experience, that whatever car I have as a toy will be an open topper. While I thought about an SRS, and given my history I could have gotten an allocation (I think), I am a value person, and I couldn't justify the premium over my regular Spyder given the current market valuations. Of course, I never even asked about getting it at MSRP. I never thought that was a possibility.

And the roof is a real issue for me. I enjoy my Spyder a lot in the mountainous terrain of the Northeast and weather can come in fast. I have to be able to at least stop and get the roof up fairly quickly.
The following 2 users liked this post by VVG:
Airbag997 (Yesterday), DFW01TT (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 396 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I have no doubt that the 4RS will be epic. I have never personally driven a 718 RS car. But it will be a different experience. I have decided that the open top experience adds so much for me to the overall driving experience, that whatever car I have as a toy will be an open topper. While I thought about an SRS, and given my history I could have gotten an allocation (I think), I am a value person, and I couldn't justify the premium over my regular Spyder given the current market valuations. Of course, I never even asked about getting it at MSRP. I never thought that was a possibility.

And the roof is a real issue for me. I enjoy my Spyder a lot in the mountainous terrain of the Northeast and weather can come in fast. I have to be able to at least stop and get the roof up fairly quickly.
The roof isn't that bad. If it looks like it's going to rain you can pop the bimini on and drive with that and still have some of the impact of an open top. I'm in the Northeast and personally have no issue with the roof. It's a couple of minutes of my time to enjoy the car, not a big deal. All the videos make it way more of a big deal than it is. And most of the videos don't even do it correctly...

Quick Reply: Doug Demuro review of Spyder RS