Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Doug Demuro review of Spyder RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 761 Likes on 350 Posts

Porsche enthusiasts are really something special... The guy literally says it is the best sports car at any price point, and you all are sitting here complaining that he criticizes the roof mechanism (as anyone with a brain should).
Old 07-17-2024, 10:27 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 473 Likes on 237 Posts

I love his goofy videos and I’m pretty sure we saw his o face when he was pointing out the intake and exhaust sound.
Old 07-17-2024, 10:28 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,659 Likes on 2,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucifer
Porsche enthusiasts are really something special... The guy literally says it is the best sports car at any price point, and you all are sitting here complaining that he criticizes the roof mechanism (as anyone with a brain should).
The “roof mechanism” is the 2nd best feature of the car next to the cup motor.

If it was an option I’d take it every time.

The roof was a let down when I moved from my 987 to 982.

Driving sunshade only unique and awesome experience. Up/down about same time as the 981/2 roof.
The following 3 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Airbag997 (07-17-2024), Mike981S (07-17-2024), n4v4nod (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 10:46 PM
Mike981S
Pro

Received 404 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

Driving sunshade only unique and awesome experience. Up/down about same time as the 981/2 roof.
Agreed. I think the normal 981 and 982 Spyder roof is the worst of both worlds. I like the 981/982 automatic roof since it allows me to quickly open or close it when I am on a drive and the weather changes. I have done that countless of times. But I do understand the allure of the 987 Spyder and 982 SRS roof: It saves weight, has the ability to use it as a bimini roof, and you can leave it off completely and at home (and save even more weight). The intermediate roof saves some weight, but you still have the roof in the car, and it is not that much easier to manage.

To add to the topic: I normally like Doug's quirks, but sometimes he is off with the features. But then he is also not a fan of Rennlist discussions about deviated stitching and painted air vents .

The following users liked this post:
Le Petit Garage (07-18-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 10:59 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

So, in your mind, the fact that you need absolutely ideal conditions to drive with the roof off (because it is a 10-minute commitment to put it back on), which practically means you enjoy your topless sports car less, is a good feature... Ok... really hard to argue with that logic. You basically just prove my point from earlier - Porsche can do objectively dumb things, and Porsche enthusiasts will call it a feature.

Last edited by Lucifer; 07-17-2024 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 11:15 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So, in your mind, the fact that you need absolutely ideal conditions to drive with the roof off (because it is a 10-minute commitment to put it back on), which practically means you enjoy your topless sports car less, is a good feature... Ok... really hard to argue with that logic. You basically just prove my point from earlier - Porsche can do objectively dumb things, and Porsche enthusiasts will call it a feature.
Wow, didn’t mean to trigger you.

I have 17,000 miles on my “regular” 982 and similar on the 987.

Yes, might take internet clowns 10 minutes to put on, but really not much difference between the 981/2 and Sunshade only time wise.

Drive them both the same. Rain coming? Get out and put it up…both about a minute.

If you have a chance to ride with the sunshade you’d understand. Looks killer to boot.

But thanks for the insight into “my mind”.

The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Drifting (07-18-2024), n4v4nod (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 11:49 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Wow, didn’t mean to trigger you.

I have 17,000 miles on my “regular” 982 and similar on the 987.

Yes, might take internet clowns 10 minutes to put on, but really not much difference between the 981/2 and Sunshade only time wise.

Drive them both the same. Rain coming? Get out and put it up…both about a minute.

If you have a chance to ride with the sunshade you’d understand. Looks killer to boot.

But thanks for the insight into “my mind”.
This particular clown is the most successful car YouTuber ever, launched one of the fastest-growing car bidding websites, and owns one of Porsche's most iconic cars (so you can't say he is a Porsche hater). And I don't even like him that much.
But there is no point in arguing, because it seems that the harder \ more complicated the operation is, the bigger the allure is for you.

PS - The fact that I am calling out your flawed logic doesn't mean I am triggered.
Old 07-18-2024, 12:36 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This particular clown is the most successful car YouTuber ever, launched one of the fastest-growing car bidding websites, and owns one of Porsche's most iconic cars (so you can't say he is a Porsche hater). And I don't even like him that much.
But there is no point in arguing, because it seems that the harder \ more complicated the operation is, the bigger the allure is for you.

PS - The fact that I am calling out your flawed logic doesn't mean I am triggered.
You keep saying “my flawed logic”…I don’t remember making any “logical” statements.

What was my “logic”?

I like the manual top. I don’t treat my RS any different than my 982/7 Spyder. Both you get out, walk around both side, secure fins, etc. It’s really not much different.

So he is a successful social media personality…what does that have to do with anything? Car expert? He seemed amazed there were emergency trunk releases…something every car has had for years.

Carry on!
Old 07-18-2024, 12:37 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Not having owned this top yet, I am not as enamored as txshaggy (yet?), but I don’t consider the top even remotely objectively dumb. Given budget and schedule, and lack of desire to redesign the entire rear deck lid of the car, it was obviously a decision made based on necessity. I’d love to hear how you’d suggest Porsche solved this problem, without losing the humps or adding a targa style mechanical contraption of significant complexity (and cost and weight). Enlighten us.

The SRS was obviously green lit as a minimum cost / effort pet project of APs. There’s no marketing, heck there aren’t even any US press cars. The Demuro review was only possible due to an owner “donating” his car. I pointedly asked savage geese why no srs review. Answer: no US press cars.

It’s the ultimate iykyk car, for those who’ll “get it”, and appreciate the gem the car is, in the form it’s provided in.

Pretty much every reviewer that has driven it has gushed, giggling and extolling it as the best thing since sliced bread. Doug himself was tripping over his own words, pouring out superlatives.

I think they got it right enough, by a VERY wide margin. If the top drives you off…the car wasn’t built for you in the first place.

It’s telling that the two reviewers that had the most trouble with the top (I’m going to say Demuro and the carwow guy), both ended their videos by saying it’s one of the very best sports cars on the road, at any price. (The carwow guy even picking it over his own 3rs!)

Last edited by Adrift; 07-18-2024 at 12:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adrift:
BusDriver (07-18-2024), Mike981S (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 12:57 AM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 64 Posts

Jokes aside...

It is a 2 minute effort to put the bikini top on/off, not 10 minutes. My first time doing it was like 3 minutes. People spend 10 min on it to make it dramatic or something on video.
Unless you wash the car or you don't need to worry about the weather seal piece. It is really there just for emergency, like you got caught in a storm or something.

So in real life the roof isn't that bad. It is bad, not that bad though.

Beyond this, since the roof sounds so stupid to people, it is a great conversation piece for jokes.
When I introduce this car to people, I always joke about how I spend 250K on a car with sticker as badge, strap as door handle and tarp for roof. It is funny and makes you look way more friendlier/down to earth than average quarter-million-car drivers who usually leave an "elite" impression.
The following 2 users liked this post by VRShader:
AngeloGTS (07-18-2024), Mike981S (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 01:17 AM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 506 Likes on 228 Posts

10 minutes? Had a regular Spyder for 3 years and now a Spyder RS. Regular takes 45 sec aprox, RS only Bimini a little over 1 min (1:15/1:30 min, full roof around 2:30 min.
So, full weather protection 2:30 min vs 45 sec. Once you drive the RS you will accept a 20 min roof operation, no point of comparison in driving experience, I’m a manual fan and have a 992 GT3 too in manual. My 992 GT3 is a Rolls compared to the Spyder RS interior experience, such a special car,. Three cars in one, all the roof options change the sounds and experience, I almost did not drive my regular Spyder with roof up, it was boring, I preferred my GT3 for roof experience, an loved it with no roof and manual. The RS is an event with full roof, bimini or no roof…bad *** car.

Old 07-18-2024, 01:25 AM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 64 Posts

I just timed my fat *** doing it in 1:18 (including getting in and out) lol. I guess I can optmize it a bit and shave some seconds off by doing it in the perfect order.
The following 6 users liked this post by VRShader:
Adrift (07-18-2024), AlfaQV2019 (07-18-2024), Mike981S (07-18-2024), mrd_spy (07-18-2024), MrFunk (07-18-2024), Shorlaw (07-18-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-18-2024, 05:46 AM
monkiboy48
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I concur that driving with just the sun shade on provides the best noise! The only downside is the do not exceed speed limit.

The sun shade only accentuates the intake noise which keeps pushing you to drive harder and harder!
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 06:47 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
I just timed my fat *** doing it in 1:18 (including getting in and out) lol. I guess I can optmize it a bit and shave some seconds off by doing it in the perfect order.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgQz1xCs7d4
but thats only 50% of the roof, how long to do the full roof. I had a 987 Spyder btw so I know :-)
Old 07-18-2024, 09:26 AM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 506 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
but thats only 50% of the roof, how long to do the full roof. I had a 987 Spyder btw so I know :-)
2:30 minutes, only used when I wash the car

Quick Reply: Doug Demuro review of Spyder RS