Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Octane Booster on Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 12:41 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

With my GTS I played around with this by simply having my Launch X431 in my lap and watching the knock retard on a scrolling graph. If I quickly stabbed the throttle I could get a few degrees of knock retard on a couple cylinders. Once I added race gas concentrate I could no longer duplicate the knock retard. It would be better to do this on a dyno or with a closed course with a full loaded RPM sweep while watching many parameters, I was just trying to get a sense of if there was anything to this. With the latest gen of ECUs they are very dynamic and I did come to the conclusion that this helps.
The following users liked this post:
BabyNSX (07-04-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 12:54 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 180 Posts

For what it's worth I'm going to switch from Boostane to mixing in some 260 GT 100 octane fuel. I found some local to me, I'll sleep better not using booster. Extra $34 per tank on track for piece of mind, is worth it.
BabyNSX (07-04-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 01:02 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

Some inspiration:

https://motoiq.com/project-718-cayma...ased-octane/5/
BabyNSX (07-04-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 01:32 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_357
For what it's worth I'm going to switch from Boostane to mixing in some 260 GT 100 octane fuel. I found some local to me, I'll sleep better not using booster. Extra $34 per tank on track for piece of mind, is worth it.
👏 agree and I only use Boostane/Torco for 1Lap tracks in 91 octane country that don't have 100 race gas at the track. Looking at you Hedge Hollow and I have no problem street driving on 91 as I drive like a Q Tip on the street 🤣🤣

Peter
Old 07-04-2024, 04:15 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
It was the conversation between Jamie and Charles in the last whiskey Friday video, regarding tuning your car, that made me wamt to consider higher octane. I know the IAT's have to get pretty high on track with the air intakes pulling air off the front brakes and hot asphalt. Would just be cool to see if I could squeeze out a few more MPH on the straights, but I'm not about to spend $80 on 100 octane to mix in with my 92 to find out.
Yeah, Jamie and Charles got some visability into our engine's sensitivity to octane during the latest tuning efforts on my car. We found that sensitivity to be there when we worked on the Pro-tune last year. We managed to work around it and develop a very solid 91 octane map, but it was power limited, even if there were still significant gains over the stock maps. I'll be paying attention and logging things for a while with the new setup - which I'm absolutely loving!
Old 07-04-2024, 04:32 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by j-dub
Just ordered me some of this, thanks for the link!
Old 07-05-2024, 10:33 PM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 103 Posts

Well went to the track yesterday and couldn't get my datalog to work. Torque app doesn't log knock retard, so I attempted ignition timing, but the sampling rate is so slow unless you're watching the realtime data it wasn't worth it.

Anyways I did a long 23 minute session on 92 octane, then added the Royal Purple Max Boost along with 5 gallons of 92 that I brought with me. I didn't notice any butt dyno difference in the next 2 sessions, and while I did set a new best lap, I'll attribute that to better lines and later braking (still learning) and not any difference in power.

I compared speeds in the garmin videos before/after the octane boost and there wasn't any discernable difference in MPH.

I'll throw a few gallons of 100 octane in next time I'm at this track and do the same comparison, but I don't think it will change the outcome in my use case.

Last edited by TRSCobra; 07-05-2024 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2024, 10:56 AM
GianniG60
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyNSX
Yeah, Jamie and Charles got some visability into our engine's sensitivity to octane during the latest tuning efforts on my car. We found that sensitivity to be there when we worked on the Pro-tune last year. We managed to work around it and develop a very solid 91 octane map, but it was power limited, even if there were still significant gains over the stock maps. I'll be paying attention and logging things for a while with the new setup - which I'm absolutely loving!
@BabyNSX did you notice is big difference in power or efficiency or sound between the standard 91 octane COBB map and the Pro Tune?
Does the Pro Tune mean you tuned the car on a dyno?
Your looks amazing by the way…
Old 07-06-2024, 03:49 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GianniG60
@BabyNSX did you notice is big difference in power or efficiency or sound between the standard 91 octane COBB map and the Pro Tune?
Does the Pro Tune mean you tuned the car on a dyno?
Your looks amazing by the way…
Haven't spent enough time with the car since getting it back from Dundon. It currently still has some remaining 93 octane fuel in there a long with the hotter 92+ octane map. It will likely take me a few weeks to start diving into the lower octane maps/fuel as I want to fully calibrate myself on the current setup before I start playing around with it. I'll keep you posted
GianniG60 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 06:07 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

I went to Thunderhill this past weekend to run their 5-mile “Thunderschleife” configuration and ran my GT4 in 110F heat. Track surface was as high as 160F supposedly. My car saw 270F oil temps after a couple of laps (so 10 min in) and I would do a cool down lap. Nice to see temps drop somewhat quickly - probably 2-3min to get down to 250.

I mixed in 4 gallons of 100 octane with 91 to see if it would help oil temps or performance and I didn’t see any change at all. It got hotter so my car saw 280 and top speeds were identical so no performance gain that I can tell.

Unfortunately for my friend with a PDK GT4 his car saw 300+ oil temp and got warnings on his screen. He had to do frequent cool down laps.

We are looking to add RS underbody venting in hopes of getting better cooling. Btw my friend with a 991.2 GT3 never saw higher than 230F oil temps lol.
Old 07-08-2024, 07:13 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sf_c63
I went to Thunderhill this past weekend to run their 5-mile “Thunderschleife” configuration and ran my GT4 in 110F heat. Track surface was as high as 160F supposedly. My car saw 270F oil temps after a couple of laps (so 10 min in) and I would do a cool down lap. Nice to see temps drop somewhat quickly - probably 2-3min to get down to 250.

I mixed in 4 gallons of 100 octane with 91 to see if it would help oil temps or performance and I didn’t see any change at all. It got hotter so my car saw 280 and top speeds were identical so no performance gain that I can tell.

Unfortunately for my friend with a PDK GT4 his car saw 300+ oil temp and got warnings on his screen. He had to do frequent cool down laps.

We are looking to add RS underbody venting in hopes of getting better cooling. Btw my friend with a 991.2 GT3 never saw higher than 230F oil temps lol.
Yikes those temps are crazy, even if somewhat expected given the track temps.

Are you referring to the cooling ducts that can be fitted under the car to help cool the axles/CV joints? or are there other cooling solutions for the RS that are not on the standard GT4?
Old 07-08-2024, 07:31 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by sf_c63
Oof.... was he running the A/C too? I know PDK adds heat, but I'm surprised the car was running that high of temps still. Possible the heat exchangers are just beat up with a lot of bent or blocked fins?
Mike981S (07-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Octane Booster on Track