Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder values......is this a joke?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 04:51 PM
mysterhee
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike981S
Any proof/references for this assertion? This seems to be a misconception stemming from the fact that dealers are normally interested in moving cars quickly, and yellow may not move as quickly. But other studies showed that yellow cars may actually have better resale value (but it may take longer to find the customer). See These Car Colors Are The Best And Worst For Vehicle Resale Value (motor1.com)
I'm pretty sure it's based off of the data that Lucifer had posted on the forums on the Spyder and GT4 sales. The color being unpopular is actually part of what drives up its price longterm because those who want yellow have fewer options.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 05:52 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by mysterhee
I'm pretty sure it's based off of the data that Lucifer had posted on the forums on the Spyder and GT4 sales. The color being unpopular is actually part of what drives up its price longterm because those who want yellow have fewer options.
Exactly this. If uptake is low, especially when it's one of the free colours, then it is not popular, that's not an assumption, that is fact supported by data. I don't know why so many of the yellow car brigade get so defensive about it, if you love it, then that's really all that matters. Long term this may mean they are considered "rarer", but short term they always suffer. I've watched the used car market for GT4's since their inception, and in my country, without a doubt yellow sits the longest, and they always sell for the lowest price. It really is a love it or hate it colour.

Old 06-24-2024, 06:00 PM
lilbza
Pro

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I love Yellow on a sports car, and it seems others do as well:
:
https://www.autoweek.com/news/indust...d%20Last%2030D
It didn't actually specify "sports cars", infact it said red for convertibles. Also this is a very important part of the article, one that it seems you're attempting to ignore...

"The danger is in relying on averages for an attribute like color, that is not distributed normally across vehicles and segments. Essentially what you are comparing is an extremely small population of flashy colors against very large populations of grayscale colors. A white 911 will be washed by the large availability of white RAV4s and Accords, but a yellow 911 may contribute an outsized share of yellow data. That does not mean a white 911 has 18ppts (percentage points) worse depreciation hit than yellow. We have to isolate a specific vehicle to determine the impact color has on deprecation. How does a yellow F-150 compare to black F-150 or a silver 911 vs a blue 911? Here we find that color may add or subtract a nominal amount at disposal, perhaps up to a couple hundred dollars (heritage or special editions notwithstanding).

And most importantly...

We know this because yellow is the second slowest turning used vehicle, behind only bronze and just ahead of orange and brown..

Last edited by lilbza; 06-24-2024 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:05 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 825 Likes on 441 Posts

Could just do this and be covered from all angles and opinions...

The following 4 users liked this post by MrFunk:
hsaguirre (06-24-2024), JAhmed (06-24-2024), lilbza (06-24-2024), Mike981S (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 06:15 PM
mysterhee
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbza
It didn't actually specify "sports cars", infact it said red for convertibles. Also this is a very important part of the article, one that it seems you're attempting to ignore...

"The danger is in relying on averages for an attribute like color, that is not distributed normally across vehicles and segments. Essentially what you are comparing is an extremely small population of flashy colors against very large populations of grayscale colors. A white 911 will be washed by the large availability of white RAV4s and Accords, but a yellow 911 may contribute an outsized share of yellow data. That does not mean a white 911 has 18ppts (percentage points) worse depreciation hit than yellow. We have to isolate a specific vehicle to determine the impact color has on deprecation. How does a yellow F-150 compare to black F-150 or a silver 911 vs a blue 911? Here we find that color may add or subtract a nominal amount at disposal, perhaps up to a couple hundred dollars (heritage or special editions notwithstanding).

And most importantly...

We know this because yellow is the second slowest turning used vehicle, behind only bronze and just ahead of orange and brown..
It's honestly astonishing how few people seem to understand basic supply and demand. I personally love yellow cars, but it's very widely understood the demand is no where near as high as a more plain color. If I've learned anything on social media/forums, it's that people will lose their minds trying to justify their personal choices to people they don't even know. I saw a guy on a Facebook group the other day bragging about how valuable his yellow base 718 boxster with yellow wheels and red interior will be, and he claims he's constantly getting offers from people for $20k over. It's just absurd.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:37 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

Correct it is a joke, and at no point in their equation can the vehicle INCREASE in value. I've sold a mint '01 E55 AMG and '94 Impala SS, entry collector cars in their own rights... and KBB had each values at about $1,500. Knuckle-heads would pop up all the time calling me crazy and reference the KBB value. I'd tell them find me another one just like it for $1,500 and I'll buy it, and give you $1,500 for finding it for me... never hear from them again.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

The following 2 users liked this post by Highline-Autos.com:
DFW01TT (06-25-2024), Mike981S (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 06:37 PM
lilbza
Pro

It's honestly astonishing how few people seem to understand basic supply and demand. I personally love yellow cars, but it's very widely understood the demand is no where near as high as a more plain color. If I've learned anything on social media/forums, it's that people will lose their minds trying to justify their personal choices to people they don't even know. I saw a guy on a Facebook group the other day bragging about how valuable his yellow base 718 boxster with yellow wheels and red interior will be, and he claims he's constantly getting offers from people for $20k over. It's just absurd.
My father in-law LOVES yellow cars, he's constantly sending my ads from the classifieds asking what I think, I've always been honest and said yellow is the last colour I would pick, but if you love it, go for it. If you saw his golfing outfits it would all make sense.

I've seen a few crap on shark blue, I wouldn't even try, not care to change their minds because colour is subjective, but some are definitely more popular than others, and the production data I was citing is proof of that.
mysterhee (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 07:54 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting topic but let’s be honest saying x color is going to depreciate less or be worth more/less for a specific model is just hype and is silly. Sure you can write an article based color and sales stats but that’s really meaningless. The reality is it’s just too hard (for large majority of us without the data) to ultimately quantify color vs depreciation vs buyer demand based on a multitude of factors. From what I’ve seen geography and market timing has a ton to do with it - for better or worse.
Mike981S (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:08 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,871 Likes on 782 Posts

I saw a guy on a Facebook group the other day bragging about how valuable his yellow base 718 boxster with yellow wheels and red interior will be, and he claims he's constantly getting offers from people for $20k over. It's just absurd.
LMAO this is a car I'd love to see
Old 06-25-2024, 09:31 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed.
I was reading another thread dissing shark blue as a choice that was too bold. Funny, because the 3 SB Spyders I called on shortly after they were listed were already sold for asking price.

Here's an example of yellow and blue Porsche Parade Concours winners. These colors were an asset and mentioned by the judges, "I love this color".
The official Porsche Shrine !!!
Old 06-25-2024, 09:53 AM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 143 Posts

Thanks, there's more. But you can make the metallic blue 911 part of your own collection. It belongs in a showroom from 1971. Perfect.
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1411209
Old 06-25-2024, 10:10 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 755 Likes on 370 Posts

My opinion is rather than getting the color you think will be valuable, get the color that you want and buy one soon if you’re in the market and on the fence.
These are special cars and they will only keep going up in price, especially once the ICE models are gone.
The time is now while they’re still readily available.
Mike981S (06-25-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 11:49 AM
matt0520
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
So just out of curiosity, I entered the info for my 2020 Spyder with 13800 miles into Edmunds appraisal calculator. My car is loaded with MSRP of $133k in 2020.

Comparable cars on Autotrader are being listed in the $120-140k range. Edmunds gave me a trade-in value of $68k and a dealer retail of $77k.

WTF ?
Is Edmunds using a Spyder as the basis for the valuation, or a Boxter? Our VINs pull Boxter as the model IIRC, so it could be looking at the wrong comps?
Old 06-26-2024, 12:51 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by matt0520
Is Edmunds using a Spyder as the basis for the valuation, or a Boxter? Our VINs pull Boxter as the model IIRC, so it could be looking at the wrong comps?
It comes up as "718 Boxster Spyder".

Quick Reply: Spyder values......is this a joke?