Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Offered a Spyder RS, what to do!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 04:40 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

I have one. A fun car and it doesn’t feel slow. Not as quick as my 2RS but very different to drive.
Old 06-10-2024, 09:27 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 339 Posts

Buy it if you have the time to drive it. LOL! I barely can find enough time to drive one sports car.
The following users liked this post:
Angryinch (06-11-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 11:09 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 62 Posts

Just get it... should be a unique experience comparing to any other Porsche.
You can always get a newer faster TTS later if you hate the Spyder.

Old 06-11-2024, 02:04 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,079 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
would the GT3 touring be manual?
Yes, I was thinking of doing a manual, however I do enjoy the PDK in manual mode. Watching reviews of the SRS in manual slapping gears, it looks great. I can't really use manual mode in my TTS, its just too much power, 1 and 2nd gear wrap the RPM so quickly, its nearly impossible to physically keep up.

Originally Posted by slm9555
Would be an amazing companion to your 911 and would give you more deviation compared to a gt3.
This is what got me thinking about this in a serious way. At first I was thinking 2 911s, Turbo and GT3, perfect mix. BUT then I got to looking at this SRS and its just such a different car, that is the appeal... Maybe having something different is the answer and not two 911s.

Originally Posted by PorscheSince2013
I have 992 TTS Cab and GT3 manual. RSR arriving next month. Plan to keep all 3 as long term hold. Not interested in hybrid/EV. Not interested in Ferrari, Lamborghini, McClaren. Porsche is making some truly remarkable cars, and the future is not so clear.
I am with you on this, no hybrid or EV junk for me. Another reason the SRS has piqued my interest as potentially the last of the NA in this style.

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
Just get it... should be a unique experience comparing to any other Porsche.
You can always get a newer faster TTS later if you hate the Spyder.
The TTS I have now is a keep for me, I love it. I am not looking for faster, just something different, NA, 9k redline, etc. Do you think the SRS will hold value? If I do take it and not like it, I don't want to take a beating on it... I don't think there will be any test drives of an RS car, they will likely say take it or leave it.

Cheers to all the info, much appreciated!
baege (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 02:19 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Ive been chatting a bit about this in the GT3 section but figured it would be more ideal to post here.

I was recently offered a '24 Spyder RS, truthful, I don't know a whole ton about the 718... Currently driving a '23 911 Turbo S that is pretty highly modified (keeping long term). I was chatting with my SA and sent him a pic of a Spyder RS that I saw on IG and I'd mentioned that these were really growing on me. He mentioned he has one coming in that we could discuss.

Its obviously quite a different car than a 911 TTS and that is what appeals to me. Being an RS is also a pretty neat factor as well, are these RS hard to come across?

My original thought was to go for a GT3 Touring, I wanted something NA to compliment the Turbo, but this RS has me thinking hard and watching lots of youtube reviews!

All comments welcome! Cheers

Is your 911 turbo S a coupé or cabriolet?

I think the answer to your curiosity depends on whether:
1) You are a guy who really likes convertibles
2) You are desirous operating a highly athletic but somewhat impractical true sports car in order to attack some wonderful back roads or canyon roads
3) You have access to such roads
4) You fully understand the shortcomings and benefits of the lightweight, fully manual Soft-Top featured on Spyder RS
5) You are paying way over list or something close to MSRP if not MSRP. No need to inform us of what you would pay. If you are paying MSRP or something close, then an allocation for a Spyder RS is a gift from the Porsche gods; and it’s not something to turn down without seriously considering the opportunity. If it’s a highly marked up offering, then you’d better be sure you want the thing. Regardless of price, Spyders RS are *very* rare and difficult to come by. There will be many willing buyers and/or solid, loyal customers who won’t have an opportunity to buy one, unfortunately.

Look. The 911 is the most practical sports car there is and the 911 turbo/s is arguably the best overall sports car there is. So kudos to you and anyone who owns one. It’s certainly among the fastest cars, and it really handles with the best cars out there including GT3. (I will not get into a debate with the 718 guys that the 911 is a “touring car” or a “grand touring car.” It’s a sports car, and the 718 is maybe more of a sports car with inferior suspension technology. Many among us who own both know the difference between 718 and 911 and appreciate both cars. People keep talking about the 992 becoming “huge” but for some reason they forget the wheelbase remains at 96” which is an inch shorter than that of 718, and there are very few cars with a shorter wheelbase than 911. Short wheelbase means agility.) For me, having owned many 911s turbo and having recently cancelled my order for 992 turbo cabriolet, the 911 turbo has become a bit boring. It’s a rocketship that also seems to be a neutered, pasteurized car. I bought a 2023 Audi R8 Spyder instead, and to me it offers way more sports car exhilaration than the 911 turbo does. I speak as someone who currently owns a 991.2 Carrera S cabriolet (7-speed). I think the 911 turbo is actually too fast for its own good, and I do not need or want to accelerate so fast in a straight line. I have come to appreciate cars these days that have less power. So there’s where I am coming from.

For me, items 1-4 apply heavily, and so I love my Spyder RS. But as someone else said, it’s more like a 5th or 6th car in the stable; not a #2 or a #3.
The following 3 users liked this post by 348SStb:
baege (06-11-2024), keithpx33 (06-11-2024), Odin (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 05:40 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin
Use case?

What's you thoughts on how to use the SRS? Its would make a case against thisIuse case is quite limited. Even more limited than a GT4RS. It’s not a track car, it’s not a great touring car, it’s an awesome C&C car, it’s awful sitting on motorways. Best use case is for that sunny weekend up in the alps. It’s a 5th-6th car in the stable.
I would make a case against this. Once again, unless the weather is just perfect it is not a good C&C car at all. I was recently at a C&C with my regular Spyder and what started out as a beautiful sunny day, turned a bit cloudy unexpectedly and a little rain started to come down. I was quickly able to get my roof up. This won't be the case on an RS. So, again.....phenomenal piece of automotive engineering and design, but really limited use in very select conditions.
Odin (06-15-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 06:50 AM
silverscooby27
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 41 Posts

For it to be a good C&C car it also has to be some crazy PTS color, otherwise it’s “just another spyder RS”.
sbsurfer (07-10-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 08:02 AM
baege
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

[QUOTE=Angryinch;19488368]Yes, I was thinking of doing a manual, however I do enjoy the PDK in manual mode. Watching reviews of the SRS in manual slapping gears, it looks great. I can't really use manual mode in my TTS, its just too much power, 1 and 2nd gear wrap the RPM so quickly, its nearly impossible to physically keep up.

This is what got me thinking about this in a serious way. At first I was thinking 2 911s, Turbo and GT3, perfect mix. BUT then I got to looking at this SRS and its just such a different car, that is the appeal... Maybe having something different is the answer and not two 911s.

I am with you on this, no hybrid or EV junk for me. Another reason the SRS has piqued my interest as potentially the last of the NA in this style.

The TTS I have now is a keep for me, I love it. I am not looking for faster, just something different, NA, 9k redline, etc. Do you think the SRS will hold value? If I do take it and not like it, I don't want to take a beating on it... I don't think there will be any test drives of an RS car, they will likely say take it or leave it.

Cheers to all the info, much appreciated![/QUOT
if you enjoy a manual, I would go touring over the Spyder rs, you get that amazing 9000 rpm engine with a manual
not sure if the PDK experience in the RS would be much different than your turbo, I imagine the revs may rise even quicker with the RS than your turbo
Old 06-11-2024, 09:14 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 875 Posts

[QUOTE=baege;19488607]
Yes, I was thinking of doing a manual, however I do enjoy the PDK in manual mode. Watching reviews of the SRS in manual slapping gears, it looks great. I can't really use manual mode in my TTS, its just too much power, 1 and 2nd gear wrap the RPM so quickly, its nearly impossible to physically keep up.

Cheers to all the info, much appreciated![/QUOT
if you enjoy a manual, I would go touring over the Spyder rs, you get that amazing 9000 rpm engine with a manual
not sure if the PDK experience in the RS would be much different than your turbo, I imagine the revs may rise even quicker with the RS than your turbo
Any Porsche GT car will hold value. They may depreciate 10% or so when something faster comes out but all things considered, they are strong when it comes to residual value. Some people think the RS will even go up but who knows. That being said, if you pay ADM you will most likely be upside down on it. If MSRP and you have the money lying around, take it and if it is not for you, you can easily get your money back.
Angryinch (06-12-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 01:18 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Open top motoring is great and with a GT3 motor behind ya what else can I say , JUST DO IT
Angryinch (06-12-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

Nothing to lose except your hearing. Even after taxes, etc., you can likely break even if you don't like it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jamie140:
Angryinch (06-12-2024), fibredog (06-12-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 06:24 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 62 Posts

Cheers to all the info, much appreciated!
SRS should hold value well, or at least depreciate in a manageable way, if any.

Sounds like you are going to keep the TTS, so if you don't like the SRS, just sell it back. The cost shouldn't be much. Why not?

I accepted an allocation last week, Aug build. I think it'd be one unique experience that I don't want to miss.
The following 2 users liked this post by DNSGT3:
Angryinch (06-12-2024), Ksdaoski (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 06:28 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by silverscooby27
For it to be a good C&C car it also has to be some crazy PTS color, otherwise it’s “just another spyder RS”.
For sure. Unique and eye catching is what makes for a good C&C car. Can't tell you how many Turbo S' I've seen at C&C that are some variant of gray with black interior. They get absolutely no interest whatsoever.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:37 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,276 Posts

This C&C theme made me throw up a little bit, in the back of my mouth...
The following 3 users liked this post by Adrift:
Bents (06-11-2024), Henry I. (06-23-2024), Ksdaoski (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 06:39 PM
jayson
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
This C&C theme made me throw up a little bit, in the back of my mouth...
'Specced for C&C' and 'Tuned for C&C' are actual things these days.

Quick Reply: Offered a Spyder RS, what to do!