Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

EVO: later build 4RS had PASM change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 08:10 AM
MannyLon
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Never found any issues with the ride quality on the RS. Drives better then the 718 GT4.
The following users liked this post:
Odin (06-26-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 12:39 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,010 Likes on 505 Posts

Dropping the DSC box in as sent from TPC may not solve all of your problems. You can go into the software and increase rebound and compression independently for the front and rear. You can set the shock values to whatever you want. Yes it will be a lot of work, but so is dialing in a new set of coilovers. Once I get everything else dialed in for my car, I will be getting the DSC box and figuring this all out. For starters, I think softening the rear compression a bit and increasing the rebound a fair amount will start to solve the rear end bounce. Make it easier for the rear to compress without lifting up the chassis and then don't let it bounce back so quickly.

Instead of clicking **** on the shock you change the setting from your lap top. The DSC uses the ride height sensor to determine whether it is a high, medium, or slow speed compression and then can respond according to the settings in the tables for the compression and the following rebound. Then you say the electronics are not fast enough. Even if the brain is thinking and adjusting during the compression, by the time the rebound comes it has long figured what to do from the previous compression. So there should not be any delay on the part of the shock stroke that we need the most help with ... rebound.

My friend has spent a few days at the track with a pro driver and has cut time off his laps and made the car much smoother on the street.
Old 06-22-2024, 02:14 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 648 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by MannyLon
Never found any issues with the ride quality on the RS. Drives better then the 718 GT4.
Agreed. To each their own but it's an RS product. Yes, it's an expensive car but it's still production car. I think people are expecting too much as a stock product. You should have seen how the 7.2 RS's crash and banged. They have improved a bunch.
Old 06-22-2024, 02:17 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 648 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Dropping the DSC box in as sent from TPC may not solve all of your problems. You can go into the software and increase rebound and compression independently for the front and rear. You can set the shock values to whatever you want. Yes it will be a lot of work, but so is dialing in a new set of coilovers. Once I get everything else dialed in for my car, I will be getting the DSC box and figuring this all out. For starters, I think softening the rear compression a bit and increasing the rebound a fair amount will start to solve the rear end bounce. Make it easier for the rear to compress without lifting up the chassis and then don't let it bounce back so quickly.

Instead of clicking **** on the shock you change the setting from your lap top. The DSC uses the ride height sensor to determine whether it is a high, medium, or slow speed compression and then can respond according to the settings in the tables for the compression and the following rebound. Then you say the electronics are not fast enough. Even if the brain is thinking and adjusting during the compression, by the time the rebound comes it has long figured what to do from the previous compression. So there should not be any delay on the part of the shock stroke that we need the most help with ... rebound.

My friend has spent a few days at the track with a pro driver and has cut time off his laps and made the car much smoother on the street.
Can TPC send a set it and leave it setting? Based on car usage? I have worked with Tom in the past..
Old 06-22-2024, 06:25 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Never found any issues with the ride quality on the RS. Drives better than GT4 the 718 GT4.
718 gt4 rides much nicer, Spyder nicer again and GTS nicer again, but we are not talking about ride quality, we are talking about how the car reacts to dips in the roads then gets a bit out of control out of any dip , this is on most you tube vids, and every one on this forum who owns one knows the rebound issues which are not on any of the other 16 Porsches I have owned. I still have 4 to compare it with.
its why the car came 5th in evo car of the year when it would have easily have won.

take some tracks, a 718 gt4 can keep wot where rs drivers have to ease off. The two tracks I have been on Donnington and Bedworth are super smooth so no issues.

It's a pretty well know issue and imo a bit lazy from Porsche for the car to react this way, the thing is on my24 cars have they reprogrammed the PASM to cure it ? The MR cars don't do it, but £17k is a bit rich to get a bit more rebound control.

look what they did to the ST over the 992 GT3 which is harsh as hell just with a reprogram.
Porsche should do a recall imo and look after their loyal owners who buy these cars to use on the road, it is a road car after all and it’s pretty sketchy if you are on wot out a dip,

funny how some posters say we expect too much lol. I expect a company who can often get ring records with 911 products to program slightly better damping control on the flagship 718 car.

any one now who wants to be fast on track in the USA fit's 3rd party mcs shocks which is a bit of a shame but at least 1/2 the price of the MR units.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:42 AM
MannyLon
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
718 gt4 rides much nicer, Spyder nicer again and GTS nicer again, but we are not talking about ride quality, we are talking about how the car reacts to dips in the roads then gets a bit out of control out of any dip , this is on most you tube vids, and every one on this forum who owns one knows the rebound issues which are not on any of the other 16 Porsches I have owned. I still have 4 to compare it with.
its why the car came 5th in evo car of the year when it would have easily have won.

take some tracks, a 718 gt4 can keep wot where rs drivers have to ease off. The two tracks I have been on Donnington and Bedworth are super smooth so no issues.

It's a pretty well know issue and imo a bit lazy from Porsche for the car to react this way, the thing is on my24 cars have they reprogrammed the PASM to cure it ? The MR cars don't do it, but £17k is a bit rich to get a bit more rebound control.

look what they did to the ST over the 992 GT3 which is harsh as hell just with a reprogram.
Porsche should do a recall imo and look after their loyal owners who buy these cars to use on the road, it is a road car after all and it’s pretty sketchy if you are on wot out a dip,

funny how some posters say we expect too much lol. I expect a company who can often get ring records with 911 products to program slightly better damping control on the flagship 718 car.

any one now who wants to be fast on track in the USA fit's 3rd party mcs shocks which is a bit of a shame but at least 1/2 the price of the MR units.
Agree to differ then. My 23 build does not "bit out of control out of any dip".
"and every one on this forum who owns one knows the rebound issues" - you speak for everyone?
"its why the car came 5th in evo car of the year" - not sure that makes any difference.
"funny how some posters say we expect too much lol" - are people not entitled to separate views?

Old 06-24-2024, 09:14 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

"its why the car came 5th in evo car of the year" - not sure that makes any difference.
"funny how some posters say we expect too much lol" - are people not entitled to separate views?
These two points are quite important. Evo car of the year has 6 or so drivers who tend to know the cars very well and drive them a bit harder then mr public on roads we all like to drive on, this was their quote

"Evo has had a troubled, slightly confusing relationship with the GT4 RS. When we first drove it in the UK at eCoty 2022, our adoration of the RS was – quite literally – shattered by its ruthless, uncompromising and downright jarring feel over lumpen, craggy B-roads. A fifth place finish doesn't sound terrible, but given the enormous weight of expectation behind the Cayman, it was deeply disappointing.We've since driven a later-build GT4 RS and the magic we felt when we first drove it appears to have returned. The ferocity and precision of the engine, gearbox and chassis melded with a firm but compliant ride quality that made pretty much any road – and not just newly-surfaced ones – a joy. Porsche hasn't officially confirmed whether the later car had a different suspension setup to the example we drove previously, but it certainly felt measured and fluid in a way that doesn't square with our impressions from eCoty. Put simply, it felt like the car we thought – and hoped – the GT4 RS would be.”

1: This imo is a big statement from one of the biggest and most respected car mags esp the "car of the year" feature

2: People can have views, but this really is not a view. The fact is Porsche has the 4RS rebound profile incorrect, this is more a factual statement over a view. And in the main I think I do speak for 90% owners here on this issue, it's not an opinion or a view it's is a statement of fact.

If your cars rebound profile is great then you must have the only my23 car which works in the world :-)

here is yet another new vid from a well know pro driver saying the rear pogo's all over the place and that's tracks pretty smooth.

I did an event at the weekend with 4 Porkers I took my 718 GTS just because I knew the roads we were going to go down would have just upset the car and thus me to a point if I don't end up buying shocks it's being sold, As Porsche will not as yet own upto an issue or even admit if they did or did not reprofile the PASM software on my24 cars. Porsche UK are not interested at all and I have spoken to them. I am now waiting for my suppling dealer to come back to me, but I doubt anything will come of it, as always once a car is sold these days you are on your own unless you want to really get into a fight which then is stressful and very time consuming.
lovetoturn (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 01:45 PM
MannyLon
Instructor

These two points are quite important. Evo car of the year has 6 or so drivers who tend to know the cars very well and drive them a bit harder then mr public on roads we all like to drive on, this was their quote

"Evo has had a troubled, slightly confusing relationship with the GT4 RS. When we first drove it in the UK at eCoty 2022, our adoration of the RS was – quite literally – shattered by its ruthless, uncompromising and downright jarring feel over lumpen, craggy B-roads. A fifth place finish doesn't sound terrible, but given the enormous weight of expectation behind the Cayman, it was deeply disappointing.We've since driven a later-build GT4 RS and the magic we felt when we first drove it appears to have returned. The ferocity and precision of the engine, gearbox and chassis melded with a firm but compliant ride quality that made pretty much any road – and not just newly-surfaced ones – a joy. Porsche hasn't officially confirmed whether the later car had a different suspension setup to the example we drove previously, but it certainly felt measured and fluid in a way that doesn't square with our impressions from eCoty. Put simply, it felt like the car we thought – and hoped – the GT4 RS would be.”

1: This imo is a big statement from one of the biggest and most respected car mags esp the "car of the year" feature

2: People can have views, but this really is not a view. The fact is Porsche has the 4RS rebound profile incorrect, this is more a factual statement over a view. And in the main I think I do speak for 90% owners here on this issue, it's not an opinion or a view it's is a statement of fact.

If your cars rebound profile is great then you must have the only my23 car which works in the world :-)

here is yet another new vid from a well know pro driver saying the rear pogo's all over the place and that's tracks pretty smooth.

https://youtu.be/I8TmAEdiVx4?si=VV88qSeGMxlG8TNT

I did an event at the weekend with 4 Porkers I took my 718 GTS just because I knew the roads we were going to go down would have just upset the car and thus me to a point if I don't end up buying shocks it's being sold, As Porsche will not as yet own upto an issue or even admit if they did or did not reprofile the PASM software on my24 cars. Porsche UK are not interested at all and I have spoken to them. I am now waiting for my suppling dealer to come back to me, but I doubt anything will come of it, as always once a car is sold these days you are on your own unless you want to really get into a fight which then is stressful and very time consuming.
Fair enough, if the car is not for you, but don't poo poo others opionions as they differ to yours.
I love the experience of the drive, mega fun. 80% road use for me and does the job perfectly. Don't really care what journos think to be honest as car driving experience is subjective.
The ring lap times don't lie about it's peformance. I suggest first of all you get the suspension checked by a pro.
Eric5280 (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:32 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Can TPC send a set it and leave it setting? Based on car usage? I have worked with Tom in the past..
Yes they do. I am not sure what is all in that setting, but I am sure Tom can help you with it. It is of course reported to be better than the OEM, but I am sure there is more in there for those willing to spend the time to uncork it.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:47 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

If it is too stiff for you, then upgrade it. An affordable option would be to change out the springs when you add camber plates and go with a set of Swift 90/120s. Ten less in front and twenty less in the rear. Then there will be enough rebound available in the OEM Sachs Motorsports shocks to control the softer springs in both the front and especially the rear of the car. Then add a DSC box to fine tune the rebound and compression rates to get the fluidity that you desire. Not an easy task, but neither is adding MCS with whatever spring rates, canister pressures, and *** setting you need to get the perfect ride. This costs far less and keeps the car more OEM with a sport and normal shock setting.

Rear spring rates of 140 Nm appear to be just too stiff for a strut car when driven on bumpy roads.

My GT4 was pretty amazing with a 60/80 spring setup and the sport shock setting.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:30 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

its not too stiff it's the rebound pogo effect. MR springs are stiffer than oem again up front but the MR cars don't do it.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:25 AM
MannyLon
Instructor

This is a good watch:

I'd like to get the "clubsport bits" mentioned in the video.
The following 2 users liked this post by MannyLon:
Mike981S (06-25-2024), mrd_spy (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 07:27 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

yes I want my car like that, I have all the SSR prices to make it that :-)
Old 06-25-2024, 07:47 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 264 Posts

The Clubsport parts are...

Motorsport Tie Rods for the front

Motorsport Rear Toe Links

The SSR Coilover package comes with Camber plates front and rear. Car already has adjustable solid caster puck/thrust bushings

Only other thing might be Clubsport/Cup Car LCA inner for the Front which is larger and allow more range for camber... some other use an LCA with extended bolts for more Shim.

Old 06-25-2024, 07:48 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 264 Posts

yes I want my car like that, I have all the SSR prices to make it that :-)
Do it
mrd_spy (06-25-2024)

Quick Reply: EVO: later build 4RS had PASM change?