Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Let's Talk Track Tires - 2024 Edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 04:14 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,038 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike981S
What are the current go-to tires for stock 20" wheels for AX? I used to like the RE71R but there are no RE71RS in stock size. Currently I am on a set of Cup 2s but our PNW climate is too cold for them except in July/August and maybe September. Some people run Nankang CRS, though they are not 100% stock size. How are the AD09s compared to the A052s? Or the SCR3?

A052 are better for Ax. I’m pretty sure they were specifically designed for it due to their rapid heat up.
AD09 is slower but handles heat better without dropping off.

Last edited by Reedy; 01-22-2024 at 04:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Reedy:
0-Day (01-22-2024), 85Gold (01-22-2024), Mike981S (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 04:51 PM
beez
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
I wonder if those drivers are running too high of pressures? RE71R liked lower pressure, like 30-32 hot. Can't run them like Michelins at 34-36.

I just got the new RE71RS and have a track day in a few weeks, but I'm not an instructor level driver. Full set was $1400-something in 19".
that could be, but I don't know what pressures they were running, just noticed the relatively expensive carnage. I'm a pro instructor/racing coach, so that's my concern with the Bridgestones.

If you wouldn't mind reporting back after your track event with them, I'd appreciate the feedback!

Last edited by beez; 01-22-2024 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:07 PM
beez
Instructor

Originally Posted by 85Gold
CR-S handles heat better than the 71RS but needs heat, be careful on cold mornings. 71RS better cool weather and wet tire. AD09 is more of an endurance tire lasts well but not for setting ultimate lap times with 200 TW.

Peter
Unfortunately, the CS-doesn't come in the sizes I need, and I live in Las Vegas and run at Spring Mountain, but also Big Willow, Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, Laguna, Sonoma, etc., so not sure the Bridgestones will like the heat. That's pretty much why I'm going to try the AD09s first, and see how they do. I'm using SC2s now, so obviously I'm not looking for the ultimate lap time. I think the other manufacturers have made strides the last few years in their compounds, while Michelin hasn't commensurately updated the SC2 compounds since they came out in 2014/2015. So hoping the AD09s are stickier.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:16 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 741 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike981S
What are the current go-to tires for stock 20" wheels for AX? I used to like the RE71R but there are no RE71RS in stock size. Currently I am on a set of Cup 2s but our PNW climate is too cold for them except in July/August and maybe September. Some people run Nankang CRS, though they are not 100% stock size. How are the AD09s compared to the A052s? Or the SCR3?
Like Reedy said, for stock 20" wheels, you want the Yoko A052 for autoX. They are incredible in cold temps. The A052 DON'T like being hot at all. They need to be sprayed with water in between every run on a 80+ deg day. The rears are especially needing water spray to keep them cool because they are a half inch away from a 700 degree GPF on the exhaust. Shutting the engine off between runs helps keep rear temps under control too.

The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 05:26 PM
Tigers10
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by beez
that could be, but I don't know what pressures they were running, just noticed the relatively expensive carnage. I'm a pro instructor/racing coach, so that's my concern with the Bridgestones.

If you wouldn't mind reporting back after your track event with them, I'd appreciate the feedback!
As an advanced/instructor driver I've been happy with the RE71RS. That's after using the Goodyear Supercar 3 which I loved for longevity.
My last set of RE-71RS I got 4 weekends/~35 sessions out of them (usually 20 min).
My current set I have 2 weekends/20 sessions at a pretty abrasive track and the tires still look pretty healthy.

I try to target a hot pressure of 32.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:26 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

I’ve been very happy with the AD09’s. They wiped the floor with my Cup 2 lap time and are more durable, also quite a bit cheaper.

I’ve posted this before but since it’s a new thread for a new year I’ll re link my comparison that I made when I first tried them.

My longer term review is much the same. However one criticism that I have is that when they start to wear, they tend to develop a lot of high speed vibration that the Michelins don’t seem to suffer. 260kph at Bathurst brought it out in them pretty quickly.

I want to try A052 next for a speed comparison but there is plenty of data to know they are a faster tyre over a single lap, but then tend to overheat.

For track days or racing the AD09 is the one to have
For AX, time attack or tarmac rallies the A052 is the better option
Mike981S (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 06:32 PM
beez
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tigers10
As an advanced/instructor driver I've been happy with the RE71RS. That's after using the Goodyear Supercar 3 which I loved for longevity.
My last set of RE-71RS I got 4 weekends/~35 sessions out of them (usually 20 min).
My current set I have 2 weekends/20 sessions at a pretty abrasive track and the tires still look pretty healthy.

I try to target a hot pressure of 32.
Great information, thank you! I haven't bought the Yokos yet, there's still some meat on the SC2s, so this is making reconsider the Bridgestones.

What tracks have you used them on, and what are the ambient temps like?

Originally Posted by Reedy
I’ve been very happy with the AD09’s. They wiped the floor with my Cup 2 lap time and are more durable, also quite a bit cheaper.

I’ve posted this before but since it’s a new thread for a new year I’ll re link my comparison that I made when I first tried them.

My longer term review is much the same. However one criticism that I have is that when they start to wear, they tend to develop a lot of high speed vibration that the Michelins don’t seem to suffer. 260kph at Bathurst brought it out in them pretty quickly.

I want to try A052 next for a speed comparison but there is plenty of data to know they are a faster tyre over a single lap, but then tend to overheat.

Your video is what got me thinking about the AD09s in the first place. Having a longer view is also very helpful, thank you. A few other people I've talked have similar views of them. Do you think the vibration has something to do with the tread pattern?

Last edited by beez; 01-22-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:48 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Your video is what got me thinking about the AD09s in the first place. Having a longer view is also very helpful, thank you. A few other people I've talked have similar views of them. Do you think the vibration has something to do with the tread pattern?
I think it is yea, the wavy grooves collect pickup unevenly, perhaps some resonance in the tyre construction at certain speeds. They have quite a low speed rating for this type of tyre as well. I haven't tried having them re balanced either, that might help.

People report the same thing with AR-1's as well and the workshop that does track support for some of us believes its tread pattern related in both cases.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:52 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

I've seen so many advanced and instructor group drivers tear them (the previous gen) up on the track in a day or two. Great for AX, but not for track use. I want to try the new ones, but hoping they'll handle heat better and last longer. I'm going to try the AD09s first though. I've been using SC2s - they handle the heat well, are pretty stout, and are reasonable fast, but the 295/35-19 rears that I use just broke the $500 mark, and that's a ridiculous price for one tire, and they're just not that good to command such a price.
I am an advanced/instructor group driver and I had no issues with them. As was pointed out, I too had better results with lower pressures.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:01 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 347 Posts

The RE71RSs are putting down very very good times at my track, on par with SC3R for the GT4, like 1.5s/min faster than I've seen with Cup2. It's not a big track and doesn't have super high friction, so this will matter, but I will say that they appear to be handling heat much better than did the RE71R. Guys are running hard for 10+ laps on them.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:09 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 418 Posts

71RS benefits, really needs a true heat cycle, with 24 hour rest cycle. They are prone to tearing up the center rib especially if over driven when new. I had over 25 HC on my last pair. 2023 1Lap 3500 miles and Sebring twice, Road Atlanta TT, Roebling and The Firm. The only time they were really unhappy was Sebring in July and mid 90 degree weather.

Peter
enduro (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 07:59 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 810 Posts

https://youtu.be/F20t85mlKHo?si=POdIvCbVGJ-ScyNw

Same pressures to start out with? I know the Cup 2s tend to heat up and increase pressures a lot toward the end of a 15 min session. How did the AD09s do?

Last edited by ExMB; 01-22-2024 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:18 PM
beez
Instructor

I think it is yea, the wavy grooves collect pickup unevenly, perhaps some resonance in the tyre construction at certain speeds. They have quite a low speed rating for this type of tyre as well. I haven't tried having them re balanced either, that might help.

People report the same thing with AR-1's as well and the workshop that does track support for some of us believes its tread pattern related in both cases.
Cool, thanks for the info!
Old 01-22-2024, 08:20 PM
beez
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sean in Texas
I am an advanced/instructor group driver and I had no issues with them. As was pointed out, I too had better results with lower pressures.
Originally Posted by enduro
The RE71RSs are putting down very very good times at my track, on par with SC3R for the GT4, like 1.5s/min faster than I've seen with Cup2. It's not a big track and doesn't have super high friction, so this will matter, but I will say that they appear to be handling heat much better than did the RE71R. Guys are running hard for 10+ laps on them.
Originally Posted by 85Gold
71RS benefits, really needs a true heat cycle, with 24 hour rest cycle. They are prone to tearing up the center rib especially if over driven when new. I had over 25 HC on my last pair. 2023 1Lap 3500 miles and Sebring twice, Road Atlanta TT, Roebling and The Firm. The only time they were really unhappy was Sebring in July and mid 90 degree weather.

Peter
This is excellent stuff... thanks to all of you!
Old 01-22-2024, 08:23 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ExMB
Same pressures to start out with? I know the Cup 2s tend to heat up and increase pressures a lot toward the ed of a 15 min session. How did the AD09s do?
Pressure growth behaviour is mostly the same as the Cup 2's. They do slightly better with lower starting pressures than the Cup2's do so you can start with them a bit lower. As long as you're prepared to deal with TPMS warnings.

Last edited by Reedy; 01-22-2024 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Track Tires - 2024 Edition