Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4/Sypder/GT4RS/SRS Aero Developement Thread - Blue Spot Autowerks

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2024 | 07:07 PM
BlueSpotAutowrks
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default GT4/Sypder/GT4RS/SRS Aero Developement Thread - Blue Spot Autowerks

We all know that the Porsche 718 GT4 is an exceptional vehicle straight from the showroom, ready to conquer the racetrack. Yet, as any enthusiast knows, there's always room for improvement. One area that caught my attention was the car's Aero package. While the factory rear wing provided two settings for downforce adjustment, I craved more.

Exploring options to enhance downforce, I initially considered raising the rear wing. However, I aimed for a balance that wouldn't compromise the low downforce setting or the car's aesthetics. Further research revealed an alternative – additional Angle of Attack (AoA) settings by incorporating more mounting hole positions to the wing riser brackets. And so, the journey to combine reasonable extra height with an additional AoA position began.

The Phases of Innovation:

Phase 1: Model and Study I meticulously studied and fully modeled the factory riser bracket in 3D CAD, drawing on my extensive career experience. The result was a model aligned with the OEM's published AoA settings, serving as a baseline for design.

Phase 2: Integration of Changes I extended the vertical supports by 24mm, providing extra height, and simultaneously reinforced them to handle potential increased downforce values. An additional front mounting hole was added to achieve 3 degrees of AoA from the factory high-downforce setting.

Phase 3: Prototyping Utilizing my FDM 3D printer, I created initial parts in ABS, refining the design through multiple iterations. The fit was commendable, prompting a move to the next phase.

Phase 4: Functional PrototypeOutsourcing work, I had a set of risers crafted in Aluminum alloy, undergoing test fits, finishing touches, and a sleek Flat Black paint job. The moment of truth arrived as I mounted them onto the car, marveling at the transformation.

Phase 5: Real-world Testing Venturing into the real world, I tested the risers through street driving, autocross, and track days at Portland International Raceway. With around 100 laps on the prototypes, each lap hitting approximately 140 MPH twice, the risers proved sturdy, showcasing noticeable changes in aero balance, especially in high speed turns.

Phase 6: Refinement and Community Feedback Incorporating valuable feedback from the community, I refined the design, enhancing visual aspects, and offering both standard and 24mm taller versions to cater to diverse preferences within the GT4 community. The initial production parts are expected to be available later this week or next. Stay tuned for updates on the final product, which will be posted here.

Final Phase: Business VentureThe positive response to the riser brackets, coupled with the demand for additional products, led to the realization that Blue Spot Autowerks was more than just a passion project. In the latter part of 2023, I formalized plans for the launch of Blue Spot Autowerks, marking the beginning of an exciting venture into the world of high-performance automotive enhancements.

For those who pre-order, use Code RLFSBSA for Free Shipping in the lower 48 States.

Stay tuned for more updates Blue Spot Autowerks! Our rear exhaust diffusers For all GT4/Spyder/GT4RS/SRS are in development now!

BlueSpotAutowerks.com
- Follow bluespotautowerks on Instagram and on Facebook
Sales@bluespotautowerks.com - 503-208-5133
Free shipping over $299 and 5% with code RENN05

The following 6 users liked this post by BlueSpotAutowrks:
burnergt4 (01-09-2024), jamesrg (01-09-2024), Josh_357 (01-09-2024), Tay101 (01-11-2024), TurboCup87 (01-28-2024), UncleDude (01-09-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-09-2024 | 07:47 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Accidental Post....

Last edited by Josh_357; 01-09-2024 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2024 | 07:53 PM
BlueSpotAutowrks
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Fit testing this week for the base panel. Functional prototypes next week!

The following 2 users liked this post by BlueSpotAutowrks:
j-dub (01-09-2024), sin911 (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024 | 07:59 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlueSpotAutowrks
Fit testing this week for the base panel. Functional prototypes next week!

Nice! I was thinking of developing a product like this actually seems like you guys beat me to it. Looking forward to the results. Will it be able to work with aftermarket mufflers?
Old 01-09-2024 | 08:07 PM
BlueSpotAutowrks
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sin911
Nice! I was thinking of developing a product like this actually seems like you guys beat me to it. Looking forward to the results. Will it be able to work with aftermarket mufflers?
These will only fit when cars with aftermarket exhausts with no lower chamber. Stock and Akrapovic are examples with known fitment interference issues. We cannot check all aftermarket exhausts for fitment, but the donor car for development has a Kline system. The diffuser is constructed from 5052 Aluminum, while the vanes boast impact-resistant PVC for durability. The Aluminum will be powder coated matte black.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024 | 09:13 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Am I right in saying that the "standard" part in the center is essentially what MR does for the rear wing aero?
Old 01-09-2024 | 09:18 PM
BlueSpotAutowrks
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by burnergt4
Am I right in saying that the "standard" part in the center is essentially what MR does for the rear wing aero?
It is similar, but not the same. I've borrowed the image from @TDT where OEM is top, and MR is bottom. Our product has 3 settings, where as MR has two. I believe MR increases the AoA on both low and high setting, where as our product give you low, high and even-higher .

burnergt4 (01-09-2024)
Old 01-10-2024 | 11:22 PM
BlueSpotAutowrks
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

First article production parts have arrived today. Going for paint next week and confirming fitment!

The following 2 users liked this post by BlueSpotAutowrks:
burnergt4 (01-11-2024), JAhmed (01-10-2024)
Old 01-11-2024 | 02:59 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

great work!
Old 01-11-2024 | 10:22 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

These will only fit when cars with aftermarket exhausts with no lower chamber. Stock and Akrapovic are examples with known fitment interference issues. We cannot check all aftermarket exhausts for fitment, but the donor car for development has a Kline system. The diffuser is constructed from 5052 Aluminum, while the vanes boast impact-resistant PVC for durability. The Aluminum will be powder coated matte black.
That makes sense about exhaust with no lower chambers. Have you guys tested heat from the pipes/muffler? Will the actual pieces have any ventilation?
Old 01-11-2024 | 10:25 AM
BBermann
Rennlist Member

Both products look useful- looking forward to learning price point and availability!
Old 01-11-2024 | 11:38 AM
BlueSpotAutowrks
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sin911
That makes sense about exhaust with no lower chambers. Have you guys tested heat from the pipes/muffler? Will the actual pieces have any ventilation?
We will keep as much space or more between the pipes and the Diffuser as there is to the stock Diffuser. However, we can't check every exhaust on the market, so some fitments may vary. Heavy duty testing will have to wait until track season returns here in the PNW. The Diffuser panel will be powder coated Aluminum which will have great heat tolerance. The vanes underneath will be Delrin for great wear characteristics if scrapes occur, Delrin also has good thermal resistance for a Plastic. More clearance photos to come as development progresses.

Originally Posted by BBermann
Both products look useful- looking forward to learning price point and availability!
Check out our website for more info on these topics!
sin911 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024 | 02:12 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

First article production parts have arrived today. Going for paint next week and confirming fitment!

Looks great! Don't know if it's beyond your remit, but I suspect many buyers would be getting these in lieu of aftermarket wing risers, as they're easier to install and the "tall" option bumps the height a decent amount. Given that, it'd probably be useful to have some kind of size comparison between the tall version and, say, the BBi and RSNV risers.
Old 01-11-2024 | 02:18 PM
BlueSpotAutowrks
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by burnergt4
Looks great! Don't know if it's beyond your remit, but I suspect many buyers would be getting these in lieu of aftermarket wing risers, as they're easier to install and the "tall" option bumps the height a decent amount. Given that, it'd probably be useful to have some kind of size comparison between the tall version and, say, the BBi and RSNV risers.
We will be doing some more install images, we can try to highlight best we can. Generally most upright risers are +3-3.5 inches I know of one at +80mm. Our tall version is +24mm or almost 1” rise.
Old 01-11-2024 | 06:00 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

We will be doing some more install images, we can try to highlight best we can. Generally most upright risers are +3-3.5 inches I know of one at +80mm. Our tall version is +24mm or almost 1” rise.
I have JCR. will they be compatible? 718 Spyder & SRS inbound.

Quick Reply: GT4/Sypder/GT4RS/SRS Aero Developement Thread - Blue Spot Autowerks