Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Upgrade to Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 11:51 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,508 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Hmm, I’m not encouraged with my order!

Waze problem is not unique to this device. It happens on wired CarPlay too. The power always on may be a deal breaker for me. Should’ve done more research.
Old 11-09-2023, 02:02 PM
CornWood
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GianniG60
Purchased it on Amazon.
Plug and play (it worked first time). Set up was super easy (just find it on your Bluetooth listing in your phone and click it).
Used my center consul USB.
Only thing is it stays on after you turn off the car. Even if I lock the car it stays on. I didn’t wait to see how long it would stay on so I have no idea if it eventually turns off. Carlinkit states on their website under FAQ that this is by design (no power off switch on the unit).

I bought this so I would not have to go and plug in my phone every time I get in the car to have CarPlay but since I don’t want this device eating up my battery, I would still need to raise the consul lid and plug and unplug.

Bummed about this design.
Don't know if anyone else commented but adding a power switch inline via USB isn't hard. I see a few on amazon for 6.99 or so. You could mount this hidden next to the console on the outside and just flip it when you'll be parked for considerable time.
The following users liked this post:
GianniG60 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 02:03 PM
zaksaid
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the 4.0 version also remain always on?
Old 11-09-2023, 03:50 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 884 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
I have never had a connection issue when directly unlocking, and getting into the car with my device on my person. There are times when the device will not connect if I unlock the car, which will activate the module, then walk away to tinker before taking my rightful seat. My work around for this is to toss the phone on the drivers seat once I unlock the car, if I know I wont be getting behind the wheel right away..

I have no fixes for the unit when it opts not to connect. Sometimes a simple unplug from the center console will reboot the FOB, other times it simply wont reconnect until the next drive (very rare). I just suck it up when this happens. The above is the primary reason why the FOB wont link for someone once they get into the car - ones phone should stay within range once the doors are unlocked.

Waze connection. From time to time the connection will freeze at your last known location. This generally happens when you get in and out of the car upon repeated stops (errand running). Fix, open the Waze app directly on your phone - instant fix.

Streaming Sound becomes distorted - this is random, and rarely happens anymore, but when it does, simply press the power button on the PCM to OFF, then turn the sound back on a second later.

I rarely have these issues anymore now that I follow some of the proper steps... but when I do.. I ALWAYS DRINK DOS EQUIS!
LOL
Well I have not had a WASE issue.
I also don't remember ever having issues with initial connection...
My recurring issue (though it's not all time time - perhaps every 10 drives?) are that the unit will simply just shut off - I'll not even have the icon for AA on my home screen - and then as you say - you can suck it up - or just unplug the thing and plug my phone in directly... I guess for 100 bucks and a solution that works 90% of the time it's somewhat acceptable.

The one BENEFIT though that I've had with this fob is that those annoying notification sounds when getting an email or message do not exist when using the wireless fob!! Big benefit there...
BoxKing (11-11-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 03:54 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Purchased it on Amazon.
Plug and play (it worked first time). Set up was super easy (just find it on your Bluetooth listing in your phone and click it).
Used my center consul USB.
Only thing is it stays on after you turn off the car. Even if I lock the car it stays on. I didn’t wait to see how long it would stay on so I have no idea if it eventually turns off. Carlinkit states on their website under FAQ that this is by design (no power off switch on the unit).

I bought this so I would not have to go and plug in my phone every time I get in the car to have CarPlay but since I don’t want this device eating up my battery, I would still need to raise the consul lid and plug and unplug.

Bummed about this design.
I'm not sure how long it stays on but it's not long enough to drain your battery by any means. When you turn your car off isn't there a notice on the PCM that it will stay on momentarily after shut off? But after x min, power to the USB is shut down. I've left my OTTOCAST plugged in for a couple months with periods of not driving as long as 2 weeks and had no problems.
UncleDude (11-09-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 09:36 PM
Regul8415
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

I’ve been using the 5.0 for a few months in my 4RS and no issues. Had the Ottocast before which I swapped out due to consistent static when playing music. The carlinkit also seems to connect faster as well upon startup.
The following 2 users liked this post by Regul8415:
Carlinklife (11-10-2023), UncleDude (11-09-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 03:56 PM
Jtdc
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Bought 5.0 from Amazon; setup was easy and straightforward. So far it’s been working well for CarPlay. No complaints.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:01 PM
GianniG60
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Is anyone else having issues with the device staying on after you turn the car off?
Old 11-10-2023, 04:08 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Is anyone else having issues with the device staying on after you turn the car off?
This is addressed above.
The USB stays hot for a while after shut off by design. Some report it stays hot up to 20-30 minutes in other model forums. I've never tested it but it powers down after a while. I'm guessing if you lock your doors it may power down faster than if you keep doors unlocked? Just a speculation...
Old 11-11-2023, 06:33 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
LOL
Well I have not had a WASE issue.
I also don't remember ever having issues with initial connection...
My recurring issue (though it's not all time time - perhaps every 10 drives?) are that the unit will simply just shut off - I'll not even have the icon for AA on my home screen - and then as you say - you can suck it up - or just unplug the thing and plug my phone in directly... I guess for 100 bucks and a solution that works 90% of the time it's somewhat acceptable.

The one BENEFIT though that I've had with this fob is that those annoying notification sounds when getting an email or message do not exist when using the wireless fob!! Big benefit there...

Well I might have been of better help if we were comparing Apples-to-Apples, but you’re an AA guy!
Old 11-11-2023, 01:01 PM
liudacris
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have never had a connection issue when directly unlocking, and getting into the car with my device on my person. There are times when the device will not connect if I unlock the car, which will activate the module, then walk away to tinker before taking my rightful seat. My work around for this is to toss the phone on the drivers seat once I unlock the car, if I know I wont be getting behind the wheel right away..

I have no fixes for the unit when it opts not to connect. Sometimes a simple unplug from the center console will reboot the FOB, other times it simply wont reconnect until the next drive (very rare). I just suck it up when this happens. The above is the primary reason why the FOB wont link for someone once they get into the car - ones phone should stay within range once the doors are unlocked.

Waze connection. From time to time the connection will freeze at your last known location. This generally happens when you get in and out of the car upon repeated stops (errand running). Fix, open the Waze app directly on your phone - instant fix.

Streaming Sound becomes distorted - this is random, and rarely happens anymore, but when it does, simply press the power button on the PCM to OFF, then turn the sound back on a second later.

I rarely have these issues anymore now that I follow some of the proper steps... but when I do.. I ALWAYS DRINK DOS EQUIS!
@Carlinklife Do you know if there is any improvement on this type of connection stability from 3.0 to 5.0? I currently have a 3.0 and have connection issues frequently.
@BoxKing Thanks for the tips here. My phone is often away from the car when unlocking in the garage. Will see if that makes a difference.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:39 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Well I might have been of better help if we were comparing Apples-to-Apples, but you’re an AA guy!
Ah...
Well - all good either way.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Kris79
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious about the 5.0 too. I have the 3.0 on my spyder and havnt had any issues but if the 5.0 has more
features I’ll throw the 3.0 in another car.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:43 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,508 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris79
Curious about the 5.0 too. I have the 3.0 on my spyder and havnt had any issues but if the 5.0 has more
features I’ll throw the 3.0 in another car.
Mine should be here this week, I'll post comments after I give it a go. I'm on an apple device.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:45 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

It seems like Carlink and Ottocast are the top two choices for CarPlay, but there’re many on either side that have said to find them both to be finicky. I for one have had, and still have basically an unflawed experience with my OTTOCAST. There’re little bugs that pop up every blue moon, but I’ve learned the simple 2 second fixes to eliminate them when they do appear. Which leads me to believe some ppl just aren’t tech savvy, and blame the malfunctions on the units, and not the operator.

Hopefully you guys get your 5.0 units and they work well for you. Beware, CarPlay in the 718 drains battery life on the phone like no other when running Waze + Streaming Audio. It would be best to get some sort wireless MagSafe setup like Rennline mount + charger. The USB port in the glove box direct to your phone will kill the CarPlay audio feature, as it links the phone to the JukeBox = no streaming music option available… at least for me it does.
Mine does the same, but you can use one of these to block the data transfer (so your phone doesn't link) but still provides power. I use one in my 718 and it works great.

https://a.co/d/8AEjHeQ

(Note: there are many brands and choices on Amazon, this is just one example)

Last edited by Klepper; 11-14-2023 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 718 Upgrade to Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto