Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Upgrade to Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023 | 12:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Mine should be here this week, I'll post comments after I give it a go. I'm on an apple device.
got mine a couple of days ago but I need to flash my PCM to enable AA 1st
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023 | 03:40 PM
ramans
Racer

So can anyone comment on a couple of things. I tried the Carlink 4.0 kit earlier on my 2023 GT4 but it just didn't work at all, tried on a friends 2021 GT4 same issue. it was a while ago but as I recall it would show it's first screen but touch never went through no matter what I did (wired Carplay works fine). I switched to the Ottocast and it works on the GT4 about 99% of the time. The thing is I had tried the Carlink on my Ford Ranger and it worked there and it was cool that it could have multiple phones attached and you could pick between them, the Ottocast is a one device and you have to repair to use another device and I don't like that. So does the 4.0 or 5.0 now finally work in the car? On another thread many people had the same issue I did. If it does work does it retain the ability to swap between multiple phones? When my wife drives the car it'd be nice if it workedf or her and she didn't need to repair the phone.
Old 11-14-2023 | 04:18 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ramans
So can anyone comment on a couple of things. I tried the Carlink 4.0 kit earlier on my 2023 GT4 but it just didn't work at all, tried on a friends 2021 GT4 same issue. it was a while ago but as I recall it would show it's first screen but touch never went through no matter what I did (wired Carplay works fine). I switched to the Ottocast and it works on the GT4 about 99% of the time. The thing is I had tried the Carlink on my Ford Ranger and it worked there and it was cool that it could have multiple phones attached and you could pick between them, the Ottocast is a one device and you have to repair to use another device and I don't like that. So does the 4.0 or 5.0 now finally work in the car? On another thread many people had the same issue I did. If it does work does it retain the ability to swap between multiple phones? When my wife drives the car it'd be nice if it workedf or her and she didn't need to repair the phone.
Sounds like the setup never completed on the GT4's

I have been using Carlinkit 4.0 for over a year now on my Spyder.
Old 11-14-2023 | 04:51 PM
ramans
Racer

Yeah this thread has several folks commenting it doesn't work: wireless CarPlay adapter - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 11-16-2023 | 10:21 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Got mine today (carplay), works as expected.
Old 11-16-2023 | 11:05 PM
Rkybobby
Rennlist Member

Got mine today (carplay), works as expected.
Is there any degradation in sound quality when playing music over the wifi?
Old 11-16-2023 | 11:59 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rkybobby
I have my music on the SD card which works really well. So I don’t know, and TBH I doubt I’d notice.
Old 11-17-2023 | 09:12 AM
neteng101
Instructor

Have the 5.0 for wireless Carplay - works very well. I did set up the pairing to my phone in a VW though, first time pairing was a bit of a mystery as the Carlinkit won't show up on the car side until you try to connect to Carplay from my iPhone. Ottocast was more intuitive to setup, haven't tried it in the Cayman yet. Got it first then changed my mind cause the Carlinkit will pass car's GPS info on to the phone, Ottocast doesn't do that. Ottocast is slightly faster loading though. Can't speak for the Android version.
Old 11-22-2023 | 02:33 PM
arobot
Advanced

Originally Posted by CvH
I am surprised that the latest Carlinkit 5.0 will not support/works on 718.
I’ve just upgrade to the 5.0 from 4.0 (2022 Spyder), apple car play.
I can confirm it works.

I have to admit- this is a fantastic product, especially at the price. However, 4.0 had a glitch- once in a while it simply wouldn’t connect unless powered off and back on. Infrequent, annoying, but livable. I hoped that the 5.0 upgrade would address this, but same has already occurred with the 5.0 version.
Old 11-23-2023 | 11:48 AM
GianniG60
Instructor

Default Audio Resolution

Originally Posted by Rkybobby
In my experience using Bluetooth is lower in resolution/volume. When I plug in for wired Carplay the resolution and volume increases.

Sounds the same to me when comparing wired CarPlay vs Carlinkit wireless CarPlay
Old 11-23-2023 | 11:52 AM
GianniG60
Instructor

Default USB power switch

Originally Posted by CornWood
Don't know if anyone else commented but adding a power switch inline via USB isn't hard. I see a few on amazon for 6.99 or so. You could mount this hidden next to the console on the outside and just flip it when you'll be parked for considerable time.
I bought this USB power switch and it does turn the Carlinkit on and off but when switched on, the Carlinkit would power up and connect to my phone but Carplay would not work (didn’t connect to the car).
I returned it.
just unplugging it when I turn off the car for now
Old 11-24-2023 | 05:38 AM
Carlinklife
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GianniG60
I bought this USB power switch and it does turn the Carlinkit on and off but when switched on, the Carlinkit would power up and connect to my phone but Carplay would not work (didn’t connect to the car).
I returned it.
Carlinkit sleeps when you leave the car and does not consume much power. Because its power is very low
Old 11-24-2023 | 02:51 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GianniG60
I returned it.
If you're unplugging it when you exit the car, you've defeated the purpose of it. I don't see this killing anyone's battery and if you're leaving your car for weeks you should put it on the tickle charger anyway. Just my 2 cents.
GianniG60 (05-21-2024)
Old 11-24-2023 | 05:53 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Used this and no issues: https://www.ottocast.com/collections...rplay-wireless
Old 11-24-2023 | 09:56 PM
Carlinklife
Former Vendor

If you're unplugging it when you exit the car, you've defeated the purpose of it. I don't see this killing anyone's battery and if you're leaving your car for weeks you should put it on the tickle charger anyway. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, 0.75w power. It won't have any impact, at least so far I haven't heard any feedback about the battery being drained.

GianniG60 (11-25-2023)

Quick Reply: 718 Upgrade to Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto