Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Curious... Anyone shift to a GT4 RS from a Manual 718 GT4 and regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 09:56 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,022 Likes on 2,292 Posts

I went from a 981 GT4 to a 718 GT4 PDK to the 4RS....couldn't be any happier. I have a 997RS manual and a 992 Touring manual to get my fix to row the gears.
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (10-29-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 10:25 PM
GT4 981
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by SLATETT
I switched from a '20 DeMan GT4 6mt -> '23 GT4PDK (slight regret -> '23 GT4RS .. zero regrets
would love to here your experience with the DeMan car and why you then swapped for the pdk gt4 and then the 4RS
Old 11-01-2023, 06:02 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Martini racer
NO. GT4RS is so exciting to drive that you forget it's PDK. Furthermore, I have both cars in present.
Loads for sale though and the people I know who got early 4RS hated the ride. You never forget a cars PDK, manual is so key in my enjoyment to driving.

But not seen any one say these cars ride nice on the road ! are the owners here all just tracking them ? and then why buy this over the faster 992 GT3 ?

I find the 4RS an odd car, one of the worse roads cars for ride quality and not as good as a 992 GT3 standard ! I don't get the 4RS hype to be honest.

Last edited by mrd_spy; 11-01-2023 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2023, 07:06 AM
lilbza
Pro

Received 578 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
Loads for sale though and the people I know who got early 4RS hated the ride. You never forget a cars PDK, manual is so key in my enjoyment to driving.

But not seen any one say these cars ride nice on the road ! are the owners here all just tracking them ? and then why buy this over the faster 992 GT3 ?

I find the 4RS an odd car, one of the worse roads cars for ride quality and not as good as a 992 GT3 standard ! I don't get the 4RS hype to be honest.
You've obviously not looked very hard, I've seen plenty of people on these forums, and car reviewers say they aren't that firm and could be used as a daily.... Though not many actually would.

There's also members of this forum that have traded their 992 GT3's for a 4RS.

I'm curious, have you driven one yourself?
Old 11-01-2023, 08:10 AM
GT4 981
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbza
You've obviously not looked very hard, I've seen plenty of people on these forums, and car reviewers say they aren't that firm and could be used as a daily.... Though not many actually would.

There's also members of this forum that have traded their 992 GT3's for a 4RS.

I'm curious, have you driven one yourself?
the size and usability of its 2 trunks is nicer on the 4RS, also more rare. It’s an RS car versus a “regular GT3”. I sorta agree tho it would be a hard choice between the two cars especially with the GT3 coming in a manual and the double wishbone.

I didn’t find it overly stiff either and the induction noise is awesome.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:43 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,174 Likes on 471 Posts

this one is a head scratcher. I have owned all Gt cars over last 10 years and the GT4 RS is by far my favorite. GT3 was awful on the road, rough and darty, the front pulls you any and every way with any pavement imperfections. It’s annoying as you are always fighting to keep the car in a straight line. Reviewers have mentioned this repeatedly but gloss over it. But take it to the track and it’s an epic DE ride, but honestly too good. The 4RS is stunning, it’s a fun car driving the store and it’s a fun car on track, very few cars can say that. The noise isn’t an issue and the ride is fine. The extra space in back is helpful. To me it’s an epic end of an era once in a lifetime car that Porsche has created and anyone who says they don’t like it honestly doesn’t like ICE NA cars. It’s just so much fun.

as for ride quality it’s very tire dependent. If you drive on the street with Cup 2s any car is dreadful. Ride quality in my 992 GT3 it was much better with Goodyears. The 4RS is better on Dunlops. Most people and reviewers who complained about ride quality had Cup 2s mounted. Also important to ensure tire pressures aren’t high.

oh, had a 718 GT4 manual and it’s massively let down by it’s anemic power band, have to keep revs pinned above 5k to get any power. It got annoying both on track and on street. In this day and age in manual form it’s a painfully slow car to drive, especially when used to other GT cars. Chassis was good, so on the back roads it was nice, but the tall gearing really didn’t allow you to shift much. Didn’t miss it even remotely after I sold it. I have no plans on selling my 4RS, it’s a keeper. Spyder was a nice car, but because it was framing gorgeous…best looking car Porsche makes, just wish they would have left off the front brake ducts and slats on RS version as they ruin a stunning looking car

Last edited by disden; 11-01-2023 at 08:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cooler2442 (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 09:24 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
this one is a head scratcher. I have owned all Gt cars over last 10 years and the GT4 RS is by far my favorite. GT3 was awful on the road, rough and darty, the front pulls you any and every way with any pavement imperfections. It’s annoying as you are always fighting to keep the car in a straight line. Reviewers have mentioned this repeatedly but gloss over it. But take it to the track and it’s an epic DE ride, but honestly too good. The 4RS is stunning, it’s a fun car driving the store and it’s a fun car on track, very few cars can say that. The noise isn’t an issue and the ride is fine. The extra space in back is helpful. To me it’s an epic end of an era once in a lifetime car that Porsche has created and anyone who says they don’t like it honestly doesn’t like ICE NA cars. It’s just so much fun.

as for ride quality it’s very tire dependent. If you drive on the street with Cup 2s any car is dreadful. Ride quality in my 992 GT3 it was much better with Goodyears. The 4RS is better on Dunlops. Most people and reviewers who complained about ride quality had Cup 2s mounted. Also important to ensure tire pressures aren’t high.

oh, had a 718 GT4 manual and it’s massively let down by it’s anemic power band, have to keep revs pinned above 5k to get any power. It got annoying both on track and on street. In this day and age in manual form it’s a painfully slow car to drive, especially when used to other GT cars. Chassis was good, so on the back roads it was nice, but the tall gearing really didn’t allow you to shift much. Didn’t miss it even remotely after I sold it. I have no plans on selling my 4RS, it’s a keeper. Spyder was a nice car, but because it was framing gorgeous…best looking car Porsche makes, just wish they would have left off the front brake ducts and slats on RS version as they ruin a stunning looking car
"5k to get any power. It got annoying both on track and on street." why is that annoying on the track ? have you forgot how to drive a manual ;-0, and quotes like "it's slow" are just daft, I sold my GT3 as it was too fast, now own a 997 as a daily with ohlins to make it ride nice and close ratio's come as standard, modern GT cars on the roads are daft now !

The slow thing is bloody funny really, no one said that about the 997 GT3 RS and a 718 GT4 would lap faster than one of those now.

PDK is a bit dull on the road also imo. And on track as I said a bogo 992 GT3 is a far nicer car and laps faster plus you still have a choice of gearbox ! I think we have too much 4RS hype, I don't get the car at all, I would not want to drive it on the road, and would want a GT3 for track work. ! Even a MR 4RS is slower than a bogo 992 GT3 !!
one things for sure in the UK we have a lot of del miles cars for sale most have dropped £40k since the daft overs, and the only guy who used it sold it and said it was a right horrible car to drive on the road and still has the bogo cheap **** rear suspension which again bytes you hard on the limit. Even Manthey cannot make a 4RS faster than a box standard GT3 !!
odd car and blinkered owners ;-)
I also hate dunlops, cups 2 ride much softer than Dunlops, so you are talking poo poo. I binned my Dunlops as the ride was horrible, the side walls are too hard. Cups feel really nice on the roads vs Dunlops !! To get a 992 GT3 nice on the road just soften the front ARB and fit road tyres and reduce front camber , it's don;t pull or wander then ! the 992 GT3 is set up for track out the box this time with quite high cambers for double wishbone front end.

Last edited by mrd_spy; 11-01-2023 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-01-2023, 09:49 AM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 295 Posts

What I miss most about the GT4 manual was the ability to control exactly when the tires will hook with the road via clutch control (ie: burn out).

If it was a manual GT4 vs PDK GT4 I'd stick with the manual, but the engine and faster PDK in the RS is obscene!
Old 11-01-2023, 10:38 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,722 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Please respect the OP's request for comments only from those that have made the swap.

We have other threads to discuss manual vs PDK or just general 4RS/GT car musings.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:43 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,174 Likes on 471 Posts

"5k to get any power. It got annoying both on track and on street." why is that annoying on the track ? have you forgot how to drive a manual ;-0, and quotes like "it's slow" are just daft, I sold my GT3 as it was too fast, now own a 997 as a daily with ohlins to make it ride nice and close ratio's come as standard, modern GT cars on the roads are daft now !

The slow thing is bloody funny really, no one said that about the 997 GT3 RS and a 718 GT4 would lap faster than one of those now.

PDK is a bit dull on the road also imo. And on track as I said a bogo 992 GT3 is a far nicer car and laps faster plus you still have a choice of gearbox ! I think we have too much 4RS hype, I don't get the car at all, I would not want to drive it on the road, and would want a GT3 for track work. ! Even a MR 4RS is slower than a bogo 992 GT3 !!
one things for sure in the UK we have a lot of del miles cars for sale most have dropped £40k since the daft overs, and the only guy who used it sold it and said it was a right horrible car to drive on the road and still has the bogo cheap **** rear suspension which again bytes you hard on the limit. Even Manthey cannot make a 4RS faster than a box standard GT3 !!
odd car and blinkered owners ;-)
I also hate dunlops, cups 2 ride much softer than Dunlops, so you are talking poo poo. I binned my Dunlops as the ride was horrible, the side walls are too hard. Cups feel really nice on the roads vs Dunlops !! To get a 992 GT3 nice on the road just soften the front ARB and fit road tyres and reduce front camber , it's don;t pull or wander then ! the 992 GT3 is set up for track out the box this time with quite high cambers for double wishbone front end.

What you say makes me think you have zero seat time in any of these cars. Typical wannabe spewing Ring times which have no nothing to do with real world driving. But we all have opinions. Having driven all these cars and tracked them extensively, I stand by my thoughts above. But again, to each their own. However, before spewing further nonsense about the 4RS I highly recommend driving one. It’s really an epic car. Is it worth what some are paying? No, but at MSRP like mine it’s worth every penny

Quick Reply: Curious... Anyone shift to a GT4 RS from a Manual 718 GT4 and regret it?