Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Can I stream music into the USB inputs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 04:33 PM
logicalthought
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, I just ordered this Ottocast U2-X Pro, which (supposedly) plugs into my USB port and tells the car that it's wired Apple Carplay, then converts it to wireless Android Auto and communicates with the phone via 5ghz wifi, which is much wider bandwidth than Bluetooth and should stream much better-sounding music. I'll try it next weekend and report back:
Amazon Amazon

I saw all the posts from the guy who does the "app level unlocking' but I want to try this first.
The following users liked this post:
MrFunk (03-06-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 05:25 PM
Chrismalberts
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd be interested to know how that goes. I use Tidal from my Pixel 7 as a music source and they offer FLAC quality - I don't think that modern Bluetooth connections are that bad these days and the source quality from Tidal via BT is clearly better than other inputs. I'm also interested in getting my NAV/Carplay equipped 2021 Cayman T to be coded to work with Android.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainSlowly
It’s possible to enable android auto on the oem PCM and then you could use that via USB instead of Bluetooth
IIRC, if you don't have AA enabled on PCM 4.0 then it will view the Android phone as a storage device and you should be able to play music files from the phone, in fact when you connect the phone even with an AA enabled PCM it will ask if you want to connect for Android Auto or USB mode.

Originally Posted by logicalthought
Okay, I just ordered this Ottocast U2-X Pro, which (supposedly) plugs into my USB port and tells the car that it's wired Apple Carplay, then converts it to wireless Android Auto and communicates with the phone via 5ghz wifi, which is much wider bandwidth than Bluetooth and should stream much better-sounding music. I'll try it next weekend and report back: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I saw all the posts from the guy who does the "app level unlocking' but I want to try this first.
I just finished setting up the Carlinkit CPC200-CP2A on my 718, but it requires that your PCM have wired Car Play already enabled, which is now standard. I was under the impression that the music was still sent via BT not the WiFi connection?

And regarding the bolded... I am not "that guy", but can guide you with this process, here is the thread of interest. start at post #56 OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Last edited by Westcoast; 02-26-2023 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:24 PM
logicalthought
Intermediate

According to the company, the Ottocast Pro initially establishes contact with the phone using Bluetooth, then immediately switches to 5ghz Wi-Fi for all streaming.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:26 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

According to the company, the Ottocast Pro initially establishes contact with the phone using Bluetooth, then immediately switches to 5ghz Wi-Fi for all streaming.
I will have to dig deeper into how the device I have does it, it might be the same, I do know that the BT and WiFi signals are both active during wireless AA or CP connections with the Carlinkit.

I added a comment above about enabling AA on the PCM.

Last edited by Westcoast; 02-26-2023 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:22 PM
logicalthought
Intermediate

Okay, I just ordered this Ottocast U2-X Pro, which (supposedly) plugs into my USB port and tells the car that it's wired Apple Carplay, then converts it to wireless Android Auto and communicates with the phone via 5ghz wifi, which is much wider bandwidth than Bluetooth and should stream much better-sounding music. I'll try it next weekend and report back:
Amazon Amazon

Okay, I finally had a chance to try the Ottocast U2-X Pro today and it worked-- I now have wireless Android Auto on my screen, and because it connects to the phone via 5ghz wifi (after an initial Bluetooth "handoff") the streaming audio quality is MUCH better.

I had to fiddle with it for around 20 minutes to get it going (probably my fault, not the Ottocast's-- for one thing, it took me a while to realize that the USB in the glovebox wouldn't work for this-- I needed to switch to the one in the center armrest compartment). But once it was set up (and I chose the appropriate preferences in the phone's Android Auto menu) it seemed to reconnect immediately each time I restarted and reentered the car.

Once operating, there's a little icon in the corner allowing you either full-screen any app, or split the screen two ways or three ways. So far, it's really great!

MrFunk (03-06-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 05:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Okay, I finally had a chance to try the Ottocast U2-X Pro today and it worked-- I now have wireless Android Auto on my screen, and because it connects to the phone via 5ghz wifi (after an initial Bluetooth "handoff") the streaming audio quality is MUCH better.

I had to fiddle with it for around 20 minutes to get it going (probably my fault, not the Ottocast's-- for one thing, it took me a while to realize that the USB in the glovebox wouldn't work for this-- I needed to switch to the one in the center armrest compartment). But once it was set up (and I chose the appropriate preferences in the phone's Android Auto menu) it seemed to reconnect immediately each time I restarted and reentered the car.

Once operating, there's a little icon in the corner allowing you either full-screen any app, or split the screen two ways or three ways. So far, it's really great!
Great news!

The Ottocast appears to work much like the Carlinkit unit I am now using for wireless Android Auto in my car, like you, once set up and configured it connects in automatically.
logicalthought (03-05-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 02:17 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 880 Likes on 467 Posts

Great report and news!
I ordered one too for my spyder which I hope to get soon!
logicalthought (03-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Can I stream music into the USB inputs?