Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Can I stream music into the USB inputs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 04:19 PM
logicalthought
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Can I stream music into the USB inputs?

I just picked up a 2023 Boxster 4.0 with the Burmester and have a question re streaming music: I use an Android phone and while it works fine to stream Amazon Music via bluetooth, I know the sound quality would be much better using a wired connection run through my external DAC. Will either the USB port in the glovebox or in the armrest accept streaming music from my Android phone? (I previously had a 2013 Boxster that had a mini-stereo phono jack in the glovebox and I used to stream music that way, using the "auxiliary input" setting on the touchscreen.)

The reason I'm asking here rather than just "trying it" is that if it will work I'll need to find and buy a mini-stereo phono plug to USB adaptor, as the output from the external DAC (a Firefly) is via phone plug but the car input (if it works) would be USB.

Thanks for your response!
Old 02-25-2023, 05:02 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 384 Posts

I don’t know what inputs the Burm has, but if you’re wanting to use an external dac (Firefly? did you mean AQ Dragonfly?) it’s probably a mini RCA analog out of it.
You’d need an analog input, not a usb.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:09 PM
logicalthought
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
I don’t know what inputs the Burm has, but if you’re wanting to use an external dac (Firefly? did you mean AQ Dragonfly?) it’s probably a mini RCA analog out of it.
You’d need an analog input, not a usb.
Yes, sorry, "Dragonfly." The output is a 3.5mm stereo phone jack (like a mini-headphone jack) and the only input for the car is USB. I see that they do make a cable for this but I have a hunch it may not work, as the Dragonfly output is analog and the car input via the USB may be digital.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:16 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by logicalthought
Yes, sorry, "Dragonfly." The output is a 3.5mm stereo phone jack (like a mini-headphone jack) and the only input for the car is USB. I see that they do make a cable for this but I have a hunch it may not work, as the Dragonfly output is analog and the car input via the USB may be digital.
Yeah, see what the manual says, but a usb input would then use the internal burm dac, you wouldn’t use the dragonfly
The following users liked this post:
logicalthought (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

So, if I read this right, you are asking if you can apply an analog signal to the USB input? If yes, then no, the USB is a digital connection.

Did you spec the phone compartment and therefore have no 3.5mm jack in the glove compartment?
Old 02-25-2023, 08:34 PM
logicalthought
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Westcoast
So, if I read this right, you are asking if you can apply an analog signal to the USB input? If yes, then no, the USB is a digital connection.

Did you spec the phone compartment and therefore have no 3.5mm jack in the glove compartment?
Okay, understood re “the digital connection,” thanks!

I didn’t spec the phone compartment, but I didn’t see an analog jack in the glovebox— just the USB. I’ll look again tomorrow to make sure I didn’t miss it, but I wonder if they pulled the analog jack from the new cars. (My 2013 had ONLY the analog jack.)
Old 02-25-2023, 08:55 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Okay, understood re “the digital connection,” thanks!

I didn’t spec the phone compartment, but I didn’t see an analog jack in the glovebox— just the USB. I’ll look again tomorrow to make sure I didn’t miss it, but I wonder if they pulled the analog jack from the new cars. (My 2013 had ONLY the analog jack.)
The reason I asked about the Phone Compartment option, it does remove the physical AUX connection in the dash glove compartment.

AFAIK, the 2020/1 cars have the 3.5mm jack unless the above option is specified, I added it back in. Here is a snip from the owners manual:

Old 02-25-2023, 09:08 PM
logicalthought
Intermediate

Thanks! I’ll look again tomorrow and make sure I didn’t miss it. But I have a hunch they removed it from the 2023s— maybe it was a “chip shortage issue.” I’ll report back.
Westcoast (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 09:39 PM
logicalthought
Intermediate

Another clue: according to this thread, when you get wired CarPlay (not just the phone compartment) they eliminate the 3.5mm jack: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...mpartment.html

And if you look at the Porsche configurator website, CarPlay is standard now, and when they list the "Audio Interfaces" they explicitly don't mention a 3.5mm jack. See the screen shot below...

Old 02-25-2023, 10:11 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Another clue: according to this thread, when you get wired CarPlay (not just the phone compartment) they eliminate the 3.5mm jack: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...mpartment.html

And if you look at the Porsche configurator website, CarPlay is standard now, and when they list the "Audio Interfaces" they explicitly don't mention a 3.5mm jack. See the screen shot below...
Yes, I now remember that, I mentioned this in post #31 of that thread...

That's a weird move removing the AUX, I guess it was to save money? I wired it back in to my car.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:53 AM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 358 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
Yeah, see what the manual says, but a usb input would then use the internal burm dac, you wouldn’t use the dragonfly
does Burmeister upgrade the internal DAC?
Old 02-26-2023, 11:05 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
does Burmeister upgrade the internal DAC?
Jeez, for the cost of it, it better!
logicalthought (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 11:44 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 965 Likes on 456 Posts

Whether you input an analog or digital signal it goes through another AD/DA conversion in the head unit whenever digital EQ or surround algorithms are applied (and probably even if nothing is applied) so there's really no upside. I have a Bose and a Burmester and neither has a pure analog mode.
logicalthought (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 12:11 PM
logicalthought
Intermediate

Okay, well here’s what I’ve (unfortunately) found:

The ONLY way to stream Amazon Music (or, presumably, any other service) from my Android phone into the Burmester is via Bluetooth (which, to my ears, makes even ultra hi-def streaming sound like crap). When I plug into the USB it appears it would let me play downloaded files but not stream from a service. And when I try it plugging my iPad into the USB (I don’t have an iPhone) it recognizes it as an iPod (POD) and would (as with the Android) seemingly play files but not a streaming service. (For some reason, iPads don’t have Apple CarPlay—only iPhones do.)

So I guess I could try downloading some hi-def files from Amazon and see if the Burmester will play them, but I clearly can’t stream in real time except via Bluetooth.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:07 PM
CaptainSlowly
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

It’s possible to enable android auto on the oem PCM and then you could use that via USB instead of Bluetooth
The following 2 users liked this post by CaptainSlowly:
logicalthought (02-26-2023), MrFunk (03-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Can I stream music into the USB inputs?