Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

My "Old Man" CGTS 4.0 Build!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 12:59 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,805 Likes on 986 Posts

^ do you ever really notice them though? I never notice the writing on my headrests and they're guards red stitching. Same with the arm rest I never notice that either.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (02-06-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 01:13 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 354 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
^ do you ever really notice them though? I never notice the writing on my headrests and they're guards red stitching. Same with the arm rest I never notice that either.
I skipped the Porsche headrest crests in my Cayman build. Agreed that there really is never an angle to 'view them'. However, had I been building a Boxster...100% would add them. Another $0.03 opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bearrun21:
NieFolgen (02-05-2023), slilley (02-06-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 01:22 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 479 Likes on 348 Posts

I still track my 2013 Boxster S that has GTS options. Waiting until I retire from tracking to get a new one. Original owner paid extra for yellow dials. I don't notice anymore, but others do. If you plan on taking any long trips you should consider adaptive cruise control (ACC). "Entry & Drive" and Lane Change Assistant are in the Premium Package. I'd also raise PASM by 10 mm. Too easy to scrape the front lip.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:50 PM
IconRPM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice! This is very close to my build, which you can see with the code PPZF7E33
Let me know if you'd like pics of any specific part since I have the car now.

I'd recommend black gauges because they look great with the Espresso. Also get the brushed aluminum gear shifter trim to go with the rest of your trim. It will give you the boot in Espresso too, as a bonus.

Last edited by IconRPM; 02-05-2023 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:22 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
I really love your build, it ticks me off that those colors weren’t available on my Spyder.
I think the white gauges really pop nicely against the Espresso too.
Yeah, really wish Espresso interior was available on the Spyder. Would have looked awesome with Gentian Blue did not want to pay $10-20k for Espresso interior going CXX which is already available as an option on GTS and other models.
The following 3 users liked this post by sin911:
Bearrun21 (02-05-2023), GTSPYDER23 (02-05-2023), NieFolgen (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 02:34 PM
GTSPYDER23
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Yeah, really wish Espresso interior was available on the Spyder. Would have looked awesome with Gentian Blue did not want to pay $10-20k for Espresso interior going CXX which is already available as an option on GTS and other models.
the CXX stuff is great for folks with literally money to burn.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:25 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSPYDER23
I don’t like the silver seat backs. Since you went with so much leather, I would upgrade the seat backs to leather too.
Nah, he'll never see it. If I spent any more money on this build it would be deviated stitching in Chalk. Saw one in person with this color combination and it was the cherry on the sundae, it really popped!
Old 02-05-2023, 06:49 PM
GTSPYDER23
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by sonicworld
Nah, he'll never see it. If I spent any more money on this build it would be deviated stitching in Chalk. Saw one in person with this color combination and it was the cherry on the sundae, it really popped!
from the bottom, sides and back it’s very noticeable. At least to me.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:09 PM
Growler48
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 76 Posts

I don’t like the silver seat backs. Since you went with so much leather, I would upgrade the seat backs to leather too.
Agreed!
Old 02-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Growler48
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by NieFolgen
It's official! Have an order and allocation for a Cayman GTS! Calling this an "old man" build because it's rather conservative and because I plan to keep this car well into my old man years...

This forum has already been extremely helpful and I appreciated all the feedback from everyone on my proposed build here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ild-input.html

Based on recommendations, I opted to skip the sun visors in Race-Tex and to add the leather steering column and brushed aluminum trim. After configuring my build, I found that C&D's long term CGTS is a very similar build. Same color combo but just with the darker wheels. It's been helpful having these more realistic photos to reference, especially for the interior:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-maintenance/

Originally was planning to do ED but the car should be produced rather soon and ED was booked through summer. I tagged the Atlanta Porsche Experience Center Delivery and waiting on confirmation from my SA that I'll be squared away with that.

Also discovered that @BoxKing lives right down the street in my neighborhood. Shout out to him for all the excellent advice and whatnot on the purchase process. Excited to see his GT4 when it shows up and looking forward to cruises with him and any other members on here in the Philadelphia area! Suppose it's time I head on over to the waiting room...

2023 Cayman GTS 4.0
Aventurine Green Metallic
Natural Leather Interior in Espresso
6-speed Manual Transmission

-20" 718 Sport Wheels - Painted in Silver
-Brake Calipers in High Gloss Black
-LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
-Headlight Cleaning System Covers Painted in Exterior
-Deletion of "GTS 4.0" Door Decals
-Exclusive Design Fuel Cap

-Premium Package
-Power Steering Plus
-Instrument Dials in White
-Sport Chrono Stopwatch Dial in White
-Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
-Ventilated Seats
-Brush Aluminum Trim
-Leather Steering Column
-Seat Belts in Silver Grey
-BOSE Surround Sound System
-Smoking Package

Porsche Code: PPE4NVS7
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PPE4NVS7

Personally, I think the black brushed aluminum would look better than regular brushed aluminum with the interior you selected.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:00 PM
NieFolgen
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
From pics posted on RL previously I don't think the white dials will look like those in the pic; you will see all the little icons IIRC
Originally Posted by Zhao
Love that build. Ya, you'll see little cutouts in the gauges but I'm not sure if you'll ever be bothered by that. With my red gauges I don't even notice the cutouts.
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Very nice, but consider black chrono and gauges. The white seems a bit off and not stylish with the rest of the trim you selected.
Originally Posted by Bearrun21
I went with white chrono face and left the main instruments in black. I'm very pleased with the combination. Actually makes me look at the chrono--and makes it seem like a special piece. Be aware, you will see a reflection of the chrono in your windshield at night--I don't mind it but some do.
Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
Do check whether you want the white sport chrono, I have it (along with white gauges) and in certain sunny situations it reflects a lot.... It does bother some, I still like the look!
Surprised by all the feedback on the white gauges... I really liked how it lightened up an otherwise rather dark interior and dash. My wife is a licensed interior designer and helped me with the spec. She was the one who was all about contrast. Also fell in love with white gauges on my buddy's '88 911 a few years back and decided I'd get them on my Porsche if I ever ordered one. I understand that there might be some reflection on the windshield and I can certainly live with that.

I had looked at real life photos and noticed that the icons all show despite the fact the configurator photos do not. Frankly, I like the analog look and feel of the un-illuminated icons!

So with the silver wheels on the exterior, silver accents on the door handles, steering wheel, etc. and brushed aluminum trim, I actually liked the seat backs in silver. This is also why I went with the brushed aluminum trim in silver versus black. To each his own though!

Originally Posted by sin911
One last item I would add is 'Manual Gear Lever in Aluminum' which is a free option on GTS 4.0 models.
Originally Posted by nanjaria
Also get the brushed aluminum gear shifter trim to go with the rest of your trim. It will give you the boot in Espresso too, as a bonus.
Originally Posted by Growler48
Personally, I think the black brushed aluminum would look better than regular brushed aluminum with the interior you selected.
So I had originally spec'd the brushed aluminum shift ****, especially after learning it was a no cost option! A very rare thing for Porsche so figured I should take advantage, right?! However, I actually preferred keeping the boot leather in black because I thought blended into the center console much better. Also figured I could always upgrade to a brushed aluminum shift **** at a later date.

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
Consider adding: Porsche crest in headrests. I think it makes a huge difference so the seats don't look so bland.
This was one option I certainly considered and had a difficult time making up my mind on... However, I believe having the ventilated seats eliminated the Porsche crests as an option? Could be wrong but I'll choose to believe that because I liked having the decision made for me.

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
If you plan on taking any long trips you should consider adaptive cruise control (ACC). "Entry & Drive" and Lane Change Assistant are in the Premium Package. I'd also raise PASM by 10 mm. Too easy to scrape the front lip.
Not everyone is a fan, but I absolutely love ACC! I use it all the time on my Audi and it's great for all the stop and go traffic here around Philadelphia. However, since I'm opting for a 6 speed, the ACC isn't available. Not a huge issue though since this won't be a car I regularly drive in heavy traffic. I also opted to keep SPASM for the same reason. This will not be a daily driver and figured SPASM would be nice for those back roads.

Originally Posted by sonicworld
If I spent any more money on this build it would be deviated stitching in Chalk. Saw one in person with this color combination and it was the cherry on the sundae, it really popped!
I'm sure that was beautiful! I absolutely loved the Espresso/Cognac leather interior and the fact that the deviated stitching was "free". However, I landed on the full Espresso and decided that the deviated stitching wasn't worth the price for me personally. Hoping with the white gauges, silver seat backs, brushed aluminum trim, and silver grey seat belts that I've worked enough contrast into the cabin despite the lack of deviated stitching.
Growler48 (02-05-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 10:48 AM
MEGY911
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

As others have said - Porsche crest in the seats and you are good to go! Enjoy it.

Oh and FYI regarding the white dials. I have noticed that when the sun is shining on them directly, it makes the numbers/icons (especially on the speedo..) difficult to read.

Not sure if its the same for all the white dials, but the numbers on mine are gray in color and not black. They don't really have any contrast and so 'wash out' in the light. Probably will change them to black dials.

Last edited by MEGY911; 02-06-2023 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-06-2023, 05:29 PM
NieFolgen
Advanced

Originally Posted by MEGY911
As others have said - Porsche crest in the seats and you are good to go! Enjoy it.

Oh and FYI regarding the white dials. I have noticed that when the sun is shining on them directly, it makes the numbers/icons (especially on the speedo..) difficult to read.

Not sure if its the same for all the white dials, but the numbers on mine are gray in color and not black. They don't really have any contrast and so 'wash out' in the light. Probably will change them to black dials.
I did think about adding the crests... Then thought I couldn't because of ventilated seats but going back and looking at the configurator, I now see that they delete the "GTS". Seems I could have gone with them after all? Oh well, I'll be doing most of my time looking out the windshield.

Interesting there's so much feedback on the white dials. I still love the look enough to keep them despite the fact they may not be the most practical. I guess ask me if I still feel that way after living with them for a while...
MEGY911 (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 05:39 PM
gallucho
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Default my interior

Here is a real interior photo for reference. The silver seat backs seem nice to me, as does the standard trim. You may like it all dark brown, but check out the two tone before you commit. I love it. My chrono is black or standard, blue is just a reflection in the photo. I wouldn't pay for a different color. I do wish I had crested the headrest, but yours isn't a convertible. Green was my first choice and my gut, but sometimes I feel it is boring. I would take ruby, lava orange or even berry if I could do it again. Black with aurum wheels looks so good too. Have fun!

Last edited by gallucho; 02-06-2023 at 05:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gallucho:
gregturek (02-12-2023), NieFolgen (02-06-2023), pinion (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 06:07 PM
NieFolgen
Advanced

Originally Posted by gallucho
Here is a real interior photo for reference. The silver seat backs seem nice to me, as does the standard trim. You may like it all dark brown, but check out the two tone before you commit. I love it. My chrono is black or standard, blue is just a reflection in the photo. I wouldn't pay for a different color. I do wish I had crested the headrest, but yours isn't a convertible. Green was my first choice and my gut, but sometimes I feel it is boring. I would take ruby, lava orange or even berry if I could do it again. Black with aurum wheels looks so good too. Have fun!
Thanks! I actually saw the two toned interior on a Gentian Blue CGTS in person and loved it but something drew me to the all dark brown. Suppose if I had gone with a Boxster and wanted lighter color seats for the sun/heat, I would have been more likely to do with the two tone. Also very jealous of your deviated stitching that you get included in that interior. Looks amazing!

Funny you think Aventurine is boring... I was going to go with Agate initially but then decided I'd be "adventurous" and go with Aventurine,haha. Ultimately, I think it's a color that will age very well.

Quick Reply: My "Old Man" CGTS 4.0 Build!