Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 03:35 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 443 Likes on 257 Posts
Default GT4 Traction Control

GT4 with traction control seems brilliantly engineered. For my spirited daily driving on the common roadways, the GT4 seems to be ALL grip without any slip or APPRECIABLE ‘nannying.’ . . . unlike my F87C and G80C that were riddled with nanny intrusion when traction control was fully activated.

I was wondering if any GT4 owners find value/enjoyment in turning off traction control?

I do not want to be a hooligan with a loose rear end waiting around every turn. However, I wonder if there is a level of ‘nannying’ going on that is only appreciated once traction control is disabled?

Sure, I could just turn off traction control and find out . . . and plan to do just that one day when I have the time and the road conditions allow me opportunity to SAFELY explore the limits. Before doing so, I am interested to hear experiences from other owners.

Honestly, I do not even know if the GT4 has an equivalent to the BMW MDM mode . . . or is the traction control either completely on or completely off?

If traction control is partially/completely disabled, does the GT4 become the domain of a hooligan just looking for trouble? Or, again, does it expose a level of nanny freedom that can be safely applied and enjoyed with some degree of driver prudence?

Avera
Old 01-09-2023, 03:52 PM
kristob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 29 Posts

Short answer is I’ve never seen the need to. I came from an F87 which always needed to be in MDM to enjoy the car. PSM does not get in the way, and the car is sharper by nature and less of a hooligan car than a typical modern M car.
The following 2 users liked this post by kristob:
Avera (01-09-2023), Larry Cable (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 03:54 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 137 Posts

The one time I forgot to turn off ESC/TC on track, I couldn’t believe how intrusive it was on corner exits. Very frustrating.

I’ve never felt the need to turn it off on public roads.
The following 6 users liked this post by DC021:
008 (01-09-2023), Avera (01-09-2023), KINGHURL (01-17-2023), Last_935 (01-10-2023), sgreer78 (01-09-2023), Zhao (01-11-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-09-2023, 04:00 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 946 Posts

My GT4 is ONLY the 2nd car I have owned where I felt it totally unnecessary to turn off or reduce anything with the stability / traction control. The other being my old Audi TTRS (well because QUATTRO [although not an actual Quattro, more like Helix, but still got the job done])

If only all MFGs systems were as good as Porsche GT cars.

Also, being mid-engine, I would NEVER turn off the systems on the street as a mid-engine once it starts rotating, is harder to catch, think ice skater when they are twirling.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRZ06:
Avera (01-09-2023), Dr.Bill (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 04:56 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DC021
The one time I forgot to turn off ESC/TC on track, I couldn’t believe how intrusive it was on corner exits. Very frustrating.

I’ve never felt the need to turn it off on public roads.
Thank you @DC021

Interestingly, when I make aggressive pulls out of turns on the roadways I can see the yellow traction control light flicker in the instrument panel, but I do not perceive the nanny intrusion like you describe on the track. . . at least not to the horrendous extent I experienced in the ///M cars. That does not mean there is no intrusion, rather, that Porsche does a better job of hiding/integrating the intrusion than BMW.

The fact that you apparently never using traction control on the track (unless you forget to turn it off) tells me you feel both liberated AND safe under demanding conditions with stability control turned off.

Finally, does the GT4 have the equivalent of MDM mode, or is it all in or out?

Avera
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 05:01 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRZ06
. . . Also, being mid-engine, I would NEVER turn off the systems on the street as a mid-engine once it starts rotating, is harder to catch, think ice skater when they are twirling.
@TRZ06

Never considered the difference between a front and mid-engine car when it comes to the rear end getting loose . . . I do not want to get in over my head with technical matters, but I thought both ///M and P cars strived for a near 50/50 weight balance, with COG located in the middle. I could be way off in my assessment and happy to be corrected.

Avera
Old 01-09-2023, 05:09 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avera
Thank you @DC021

Interestingly, when I make aggressive pulls out of turns on the roadways I can see the yellow traction control light flicker in the instrument panel, but I do not perceive the nanny intrusion like you describe on the track. . . at least not to the horrendous extent I experienced in the ///M cars. That does not mean there is no intrusion, rather, that Porsche does a better job of hiding/integrating the intrusion than BMW.

The fact that you apparently never using traction control on the track (unless you forget to turn it off) tells me you feel both liberated AND safe under demanding conditions with stability control turned off.

Avera

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the stability light will blink if the PTV system is doing any work whatsoever.
Avera (01-09-2023), Larry Cable (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 05:13 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

@TRZ06

Never considered the difference between a front and mid-engine car when it comes to the rear end getting loose . . . I do not want to get in over my head with technical matters, but I thought both ///M and P cars strived for a near 50/50 weight balance, with COG located in the middle. I could be way off in my assessment and happy to be corrected.

Avera

The GT4 isn't a 50/50 split. I think it is something like 44/56. While front engine layouts can achieve very close (if not exact) 50/50, mid-engines usually have a little rear bias. In either case, even with a front engine with a 50/50 split, you still have all that weight up front to help you. With a mid-engine, the motor is more closely at the COG for polar movements and it is like when a figure skater brings their body and weight centered and they spin faster.
Avera (01-09-2023), GTChamp (01-11-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 05:18 PM
cpxchewy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you @DC021

Avera
ESC off is like MDM mode.

I've done a few autocross events and my times are ESC OFF fastest, all off (ESC + TC OFF) second fastest (Sometimes I have too much turn in and requires more correction), and full on slowest. ESC Off allows enough slip to make you fast on track if you're not 10/10 at controlling the car.
Avera (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 05:20 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

@TRZ06 I'll have to pay attention to mine at the track, but I don't think the light blinks at any point when I have mine off at the track.

@Avera It's a mid engine'd car so it gets its power down much better than a F/R, but I still find TCS intrusive when driven hard on the street or track. Except for the first laps with cold tires on a 50F day, I typically run at the track with TCS off. That said, I've seen a guy turn ridiculous lap times with TCS on and driven in a very different style than I drive, so I can't argue with running it. My times with everything off have been my fastest times, unsure if placebo.
Avera (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 05:20 PM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

What is your experience?
What is your risk tolerance? $100k = High risk
Do you get insurance?

Most of my freinds and I don't turn it off. Not worth the risk for the reward to me.

I turn it off on race car and cheap BMWs.
Weekend DE champs
The following 5 users liked this post by GT3_Driver:
AlexCeres (01-17-2023), Avera (01-09-2023), ExMB (01-09-2023), jmartpr (01-09-2023), Larry Cable (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 05:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Thank you @DC021

Avera
THIS!

Avera (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 07:42 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cpxchewy
ESC off is like MDM mode.

I've done a few autocross events and my times are ESC OFF fastest, all off (ESC + TC OFF) second fastest (Sometimes I have too much turn in and requires more correction), and full on slowest. ESC Off allows enough slip to make you fast on track if you're not 10/10 at controlling the car.
Thank you @cpxchewy

So, you indicating there are three modes with the GT4.

1. Full traction/stability control
2. ESC that is like MDM mode in bimmers
3. Traction/stability control both completely off

Yes, I can try and locate my owners manual, wherever it is . . . but, hey, what are forums for if not to ask questions?

So, press stability control to go into ESC mode and, I assume press it twice or hold it down to turn traction/stability control completely off?

Avera
Old 01-09-2023, 07:54 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enduro
@TRZ06 I'll have to pay attention to mine at the track, but I don't think the light blinks at any point when I have mine off at the track.

@Avera It's a mid engine'd car so it gets its power down much better than a F/R, but I still find TCS intrusive when driven hard on the street or track. Except for the first laps with cold tires on a 50F day, I typically run at the track with TCS off. That said, I've seen a guy turn ridiculous lap times with TCS on and driven in a very different style than I drive, so I can't argue with running it. My times with everything off have been my fastest times, unsure if placebo.
@enduro

Mine definitely flashes when traction/stability control fully activated. . . perhaps yours does not because you have traction/stability control deactivated?

Now that I have been educated on fact that there is an MDM-like mode with the GT4, I am more inclined to experiment than I was thinking traction/stability control was an all-or-none proposition. Seems reasonable to suggest I might find ESC mode livens things up a bit while still having a level of safety activated? I might find the nannies are more intrusive than I realize? Maybe not?

Avera
Old 01-09-2023, 08:03 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,486 Likes on 924 Posts

I think we can take Walter Röhrl word as an actual fact...during the 718 GT4 launch he specifically mentioned that his times were almost identical with nannies ON or OFF.
When I did the Masters courses at PTX Alabama they actually y said to keep them ON, not worth to have them OFF...specially on GT cars.
Also, from my own personal experience the little light goes on and you feel intrusion when mistakes are made or you are not smooth.
Can I go a bit faster with the systems OFF? Maybe...but for DEs and track days I don't mind sacrificing 1/10 or 2/10th of a second for extra safety.
As GT3_Driver mentions not worth it unless your last name is Estre or Bernhard.
Avera (01-09-2023)

Quick Reply: GT4 Traction Control