Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dundon 718 GT4RS Development Thread. Input wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 09:11 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Not to worry....if they develop a muffler for the 4RS they should be able to develop the last section of the GT4 system (the one that splits into a Y) into a single exit/entry for the muffler.....everybody wins!
But it can also be the other way around, adapting the current GT4 design to the 4RS...the only difference between both OEM is in one the split happens before the muffler and on the 4RS it happens on the muffler.
Also the 4RS GPF looks smaller than on the GT4 and the secondary O2 sensor is on the OAP before the GPFs,kind of like the Dundon system.
To my knowledge, the only two rear box options that manage drone with high-flow headers/OAPs are the OEM and Akra rear boxes. The problem is neither produce that RSR tone. Seems decent tone comes from mixing the banks (X-pipe) but, unfortunately, mixing the banks is a recipe for drone in the GT4. In short, the better the tone, the worse the drone.

Will that be the case with the RS? My suspicion is yes.

Avera
Old 01-06-2023, 09:13 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 473 Posts

Je...je ...je....the 982 GT4 crowd (I was part of that crowd) know exactly what the car needs!

Packaging of that rear muffler is a PITA, I know, but if you come through on this you will sell a bunch of these mufflers for GT4/Spyders and GT4RS
I’ll do all the “packaging” R&D for free, along with shipping for the first allotments if a full header back system comes as compensation. Included would be all the tooling required on my end to customize all your corrugated/foam to protect the internal parts, and print plates for my presses to pump out your company logo on all exterior surfaces…. I call that a win-win!!! MY 23 GT4
Old 01-06-2023, 09:22 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
To my knowledge, the only two rear box options that manage drone with high-flow headers/OAPs are the OEM and Akra rear boxes. The problem is neither produce that RSR tone. Seems decent tone comes from mixing the banks (X-pipe) but, unfortunately, mixing the banks is a recipe for drone in the GT4. In short, the better the tone, the worse the drone.

Will that be the case with the RS? My suspicion is yes.

Avera
Kline’s full system brah.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:06 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

I love that you ask 4RS owners for what they want and you get a bunch of GT4 owners chiming in...

I found I can get a pretty good setup on the 4RS with stock suspension etc. However some more downforce would be good to bring it into line with the GT3, also exhaust to give it a power bump to come into line with the GT3 and sound better from outside too.

If the exhaust system can be good for RoW cars too, I'm in Australia so may have different sensors around the particulate filter.

Last edited by cafe_racer; 01-06-2023 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:23 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 99 Posts

Over axle pipes to get rid of the GPF
The following users liked this post:
GT4RS maniac (01-09-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 10:49 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
I love that you ask 4RS owners for what they want and you get a bunch of GT4 owners chiming in...

I found I can get a pretty good setup on the 4RS with stock suspension etc. However some more downforce would be good to bring it into line with the GT3, also exhaust to give it a power bump to come into line with the GT3 and sound better from outside too.

If the exhaust system can be good for RoW cars too, I'm in Australia so may have different sensors around the particulate filter.
Ted has a lot of GT4 owners chiming in because Dundon has been telling us what we want for our GT4s will come once Dundon gets a RS.

Based on your 'wants' . . . it seems you want a GT3

Avera
The following 3 users liked this post by Avera:
cafe_racer (01-06-2023), Mavzyx (02-16-2023), MechEngr1287 (01-08-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 11:23 PM
shawfm
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Knutsm01
Over axle pipes to get rid of the GPF
Second that.
Also HFC
On my 981GTS I liked the way that sounded with the Cargraphic 2" headers and 200 cell cats -stock PSE rear section.
No drone please.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:50 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
Ted has a lot of GT4 owners chiming in because Dundon has been telling us what we want for our GT4s will come once Dundon gets a RS.

Based on your 'wants' . . . it seems you want a GT3

Avera
You got me there! Jel of my mates 992 GT3 (external) sound and downforce, I swear its the only reason he's faster than me
The following users liked this post:
Avera (01-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 12:46 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,029 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Do an a-la-carte offering as follows...

1) Headers
2) OAP side pipes
3) Rear muffler

That way people can pick and choose which pieces they want to get. I would want the headers and OAP pipes and put those one with the oem rear muffler and get rid of those particulate filters.
The following 2 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
Jevi Javi (01-07-2023), Knutsm01 (01-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 01:35 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

Subbed to see how much juice chucky squeezes out of the motor with proper long tubes. To the gt4 crowd who already know what if needs, remember the gt4 didnt rev to 9 grand or have carbon brain tubes making 105dB in the cabin stock. The gt4 started as a hair dryer from the factory
Old 01-07-2023, 01:59 AM
greatfox315
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted@dundonmotorsports
Lots of expected comments from the GT4 owners We know you want the muffler badly, but I'll be honest, there's a reason no one else has done it. We have our original design for the GT4 (which has been tested, and sadly, doesn't turn a GT4 into an RSR). We will see what needs to be done to make a box that works for both the GT4 and GT4RS.

I'm also interested to hear from GT4RS owners as to what they would like improved on the platform.
GT4RS owner here. I’d like less drone with valves open between 2500-4000 RPM
Old 01-07-2023, 08:23 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Forget the exhaust... How about throwing some MCS 3 ways and some other suspension bits on that thing and then tell us how it does!
Old 01-07-2023, 08:56 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Do an a-la-carte offering as follows...

1) Headers
2) OAP side pipes
3) Rear muffler

That way people can pick and choose which pieces they want to get. I would want the headers and OAP pipes and put those one with the oem rear muffler and get rid of those particulate filters.
You are touching on what makes the Dundon header/OAP setup something special with the GT4 and, I assume, will also be the case with the RS? Namely, Dundon made the header/OAP mutually inclusive to get the outcome they got.

To my knowledge, no other aftermarket company makes their headers/OAPs mutually inclusive . . . and I have yet to hear an aftermarket offering that accomplishes what Dundon has accomplished. Although not talked about much, I do not think there is an aftermarket tune out there that comes close to producing the TQ/HP gains that Dundon achieved wither their headers/OAPs in the GT4?

Only Dundon knows what they will do, but I doubt they will alter their header/OAP approach for the RS?

I am also curious to see if Dundon can get some tone out of the RS rear box without the drone? @Ted@dundonmotorsports seems to be preparing us (both GT4 and RS owners) that a miracle is not forthcoming.

Avera
Old 01-07-2023, 10:49 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

The rear muffler on the 4RS is the same as the GT4 with the exception of moving the path split to the muffler on the 4RS...…expect same sound.
Also, another vendor already confirmed that the internal passages of the 4RS muffler are smaller than the 992 GT3 while using the same engine with longer exhaust plumbing.
It's no secret that a muffler rear section on the GT4 produces power (not a lot) and we could assume that will be the same with the 4RS.
If a muffler is develop I'm pretty sure it can be used on both cars.....
The OEM manifold and OAP is a different arrangement from the GT4.
If you ask me to guess, we will have the same problems on the 4RS as on the GT4...of the 3 sections that can be swap, pick 2 or risk getting lots of drone and being too loud.
If there was a way to package a GT3 muffler internal design into the GT4/4RS step muffler design that would be great
The following 3 users liked this post by jmartpr:
Avera (01-07-2023), MechEngr1287 (01-08-2023), TDT (01-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 10:57 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 417 Likes on 275 Posts

The rear muffler on the 4RS is the same as the GT4 with the exception of moving the path split to the muffler on the 4RS...…expect same sound.
Also, another vendor already confirmed that the internal passages of the 4RS muffler are smaller than the 992 GT3 while using the same engine with longer exhaust plumbing.
It's no secret that a muffler rear section on the GT4 produces power (not a lot) and we could assume that will be the same with the 4RS.
If a muffler is develop I'm pretty sure it can be used on both cars.....
The OEM manifold and OAP is a different arrangement from the GT4.
If you ask me to guess, we will have the same problems on the 4RS as on the GT4...of the 3 sections that can be swap, pick 2 or risk getting lots of drone and being too loud.
Nailed it.

Quick Reply: Dundon 718 GT4RS Development Thread. Input wanted!