Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Are PCCBs worth it (Spyder for mostly street use)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2022 | 04:22 AM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

Default Are PCCBs worth it (Spyder for mostly street use)?

Yes, I know, it is a never-ending debate; trust me, I read literally hundreds of posts on the 911 forums about the subject. The fact so many opposes to PCCBs actually left me even more confused.

It is my first Porsche and my first "serious" sports car (had a Giulia QV and a Miata ND before that), and I was hoping for this great community to help me make the "smartest" decision for my case\needs.

If I go for the PCCBs - my build is super easy, Chalk with Platinum wheels, yellow stitching package&seat-belts, and... done? And I can stop wasting hours in the Porsche configurator until my lock date

The things I care about the most are looks, brake dust, and brake feel.
I read a lot about rotating weight and unsprung mass - but I doubt I am a good enough driver to notice the difference. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Two things stopping me from just checking this option - the initial cost and the worry of the cost to replace in case they get damaged.
This is a very expensive toy that I genuinely plan to keep forever (hopefully, but I am also a logical person who understands **** happens).
I don't want to have any regrets on one hand, but I also don't want to burn $9k (with tax) for yellow calipers and slightly less dust.
I also don't want to find myself replacing super expensive rotors left and right.
How common are PCCBs getting damaged? Are they fixable? Can I replace just one rotor?

An unpopular option would be just to paint the steel calipers yellow and ignore the little voice that says it is a blasphemy.

My use case would be around 4k miles with (maybe) one or two track days a year.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by Lucifer; 12-23-2022 at 04:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mercuriell (12-25-2022)
Old 12-23-2022 | 07:43 AM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

The new pad material is not as brake dust free as earlier versions, still a lot less dust than irons.
New pad material will not stand up to track use, wore out a set of fronts in 2 track days while awaiting Girodisc rotors to swap out.
They are not crazy fragile. For looks, they fill the wheel nicely.

Old 12-23-2022 | 07:59 AM
Dyim
Drifting

You have platinum wheels. Brake dust would be less noticeable than on silver wheels.

Ceramic coat the wheels and that would make washing easier.

However, that would mess up your build with the yellow inside.

The logical side of me would say black calipers and save the $.

However, buying a six figure toy is rarely a logical decision. We just rationalize it in our head.

So YMMV.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dyim:
6IXSPD (12-23-2022), Larry Cable (12-23-2022), lnirenberg (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022 | 08:33 AM
QWKFLAT6
Rennlist Member

I have PCCB’s and love them on our Spyder.
Virtually no dust, very strong braking and love the way they fill the opening. For street use they should last for many years. I don’t track this car and we put about 4k year on it.

The following 3 users liked this post by QWKFLAT6:
Larry Cable (12-23-2022), StilettoPat (01-04-2023), Zeus993 (12-24-2022)
Old 12-23-2022 | 08:41 AM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

The brake dust on the steels is crazy bad. I would get PCCBs if doing it again. But not sure they’re available so check on that.
The following 7 users liked this post by LISsailor:
Brian4300 (12-23-2022), impinth06 (12-23-2022), Larry Cable (12-23-2022), sin911 (12-23-2022), TheBeav (12-23-2022), theEnd (12-27-2022), X2Board (01-06-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-23-2022 | 08:47 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NastyHabits
The new pad material is not as brake dust free as earlier versions, still a lot less dust than irons.
New pad material will not stand up to track use, wore out a set of fronts in 2 track days while awaiting Girodisc rotors to swap out.
They are not crazy fragile. For looks, they fill the wheel nicely.
Stories like this is what ultimately got me to give up on wanting ceramic brakes. Contrary to what journalists will tell you, most folks who regularly track their own cars stay away from them.

For mostly street use though, then they start to make sense. I personally could care less about brake dust. Not having brake dust doesn't solve the problem of the rest of the car getting dirty, and I have to wash the wheels anyway... makes no sense to me how someone would claim to spend upwards (and above for some cars) 5 figures for "less brake dust"...

But the unsprung weight and brake feel makes a difference. It's still a ludicrous amount of cash to dump for a marginally better driving experience, but for a "money no object" build I wouldn't intentionally leave them off. I would almost compare them with the Burmester; it isn't 100% necessary to enjoy the experience of owning the car, but it is unquestionably "better".

The last thing I'll add though is around looks. For the 718, there isn't as clear a distinction for the PCCB vs the steel brakes, especially for the Spyder/GT4 (GTS doesn't matter anyway because we can't get them ). Obviously the yellow calipers, but that problem can be easily solved (don't get me started on the "blasphemy" suggestion- anyone who would think that doesn't matter anyway). But the size difference isn't that significant- at least not compared to the 911 S. When I was considering a 992 that reason alone was enough to get me to move up to a GTS. I had initially spec'd an S with PCCB because the front brakes on the 992 S are comically small (350mm) and I just couldn't stand it visually- but along comes the GTS with the Turbo brakes (408mm) and solved that aesthetic problem. Nowhere near as much of a consideration on the Spyder though; 380mm vs 410mm.

Steel

PCCB

Last edited by manifold danger; 12-23-2022 at 08:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
Lucifer (12-23-2022), NastyHabits (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022 | 10:47 AM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lucifer
If I go for the PCCBs - my build is super easy, Chalk with Platinum wheels, yellow stitching package&seat-belts, and... done? And I can stop wasting hours in the Porsche configurator until my lock date

Sounds exactly like my build - chalk Spyder w/PCCBs, platinum wheels, yellow interior stitching and yellow seat belts. Very sharp configuration!

So far, after 800 street miles, I have not noticed ANY brake dust from them whatsoever. Brake feel is excellent, but have only driven in dry/ideal conditions so have limited experience so far. For street use, I would hands-down pick them again if given the choice. However, I would definitely go with steels if I was anticipating any track use.
Old 12-23-2022 | 10:51 AM
Frank Torres
Instructor

My GT4 is mainly a street car and I chose the PCCBs for exactly every reason you want them. If you can afford them get them.
The following 3 users liked this post by Frank Torres:
manifold danger (12-23-2022), QWKFLAT6 (12-23-2022), RAGT4P (01-06-2023)
Old 12-23-2022 | 11:13 AM
mammothcar1
Rennlist Member

Get the PCCBs, you won’t regret the decision.

Regardless of the pros and cons for ceramic vs the steel, of which both brake choices are correct, you want the ceramics so get them.

When my wife were looking for a preowned T, the PCCBs were a requirement. I never had a Porsche before, never test drove the brakes, I just knew I wanted the yellow brakes.

Same with our preowned GT4 we just found, the PCCBs were a requirement, and I tried to justify getting the steel brakes if I couldn’t find the right car.

There is nothing wrong with either choice. Both brakes are beyond the capability of my technical level.

No one needs a sports car and no one needs PCCBs, but you only live once. Buy what your heart wants.

Regarding the PCCBs damage, I can see how it can happen when taking the wheels off.

If you plan on doing any wheel removal or your mechanic is, make sure you use wheel stud guides.
It make life easier and less prone for any damage. I use three, it’s over kill but that’s just me and makes guiding the wheel in and off very easy.

The following 3 users liked this post by mammothcar1:
Mercuriell (12-25-2022), PaulE (12-27-2022), RAGT4P (01-06-2023)
Old 12-23-2022 | 11:27 AM
AtoB
Rennlist Member

I have PCCB’s and love them too... I went from a 981S to a Spyder... the weight savings/feel is very noticeable in how the steering feels. plus, no dust from what I can tell.... LOVE them
Old 12-23-2022 | 11:48 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Yes, I know, it is a never-ending debate; trust me, I read literally hundreds of posts on the 911 forums about the subject.
The normal evisceration for this is slow coming. Maybe they are all off pulling the wings off flies.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adrift:
dnimi123 (12-23-2022), Jim Rockford (12-25-2022)
Old 12-23-2022 | 12:01 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

If my car went to the track <= 1x / year, and up front cost wasn't an issue, and didn't want to do 19s, I'd do PCCBs. Light weight, low moment of inertia, look sexy, low dust. As a car that sees a lot of track time, modified OEM irons or AP Radi-Cal (or PFC or stop tech). 19s, durable, not going to ever chip them when I'm removing wheels every 2 weeks, way less expensive to replace, and Radi-Cal have many other track oriented benefits.
Larry Cable (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022 | 12:13 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

If you are considering them, get them, or you will always be second guessing yourself. I love the lack of brake dust, the fact that I will likely never have to change pads or rotors, the initial bite, the much better ride and steering response in all driving situations.
Larry Cable (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022 | 12:17 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, I know, it is a never-ending debate; trust me, I read literally hundreds of posts on the 911 forums about the subject. The fact so many opposes to PCCBs actually left me even more confused.

It is my first Porsche and my first "serious" sports car (had a Giulia QV and a Miata ND before that), and I was hoping for this great community to help me make the "smartest" decision for my case\needs.

I read a lot about rotating weight and unsprung mass - but I doubt I am a good enough driver to notice the difference. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Two things stopping me from just checking this option - the initial cost and the worry of the cost to replace in case they get damaged.
This is a very expensive toy that I genuinely plan to keep forever (hopefully, but I am also a logical person who understands **** happens).
I don't want to have any regrets on one hand, but I also don't want to burn $9k (with tax) for yellow calipers and slightly less dust.
I also don't want to find myself replacing super expensive rotors left and right.
How common are PCCBs getting damaged? Are they fixable? Can I replace just one rotor?

An unpopular option would be just to paint the steel calipers yellow and ignore the little voice that says it is a blasphemy.

My use case would be around 4k miles with (maybe) one or two track days a year.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
PCCB's for the win, they look amazing, produce virtually no brake dust and the feel for both steering and road surface is incredible, IMHO a must have!

The following 6 users liked this post by Westcoast:
AtoB (12-23-2022), Dbridges (12-23-2022), Jim Rockford (12-25-2022), Larry Cable (12-23-2022), SpyderSenseOC (12-24-2022), UncleDude (12-23-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-23-2022 | 12:22 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

I skipped them on my build, partially due to the cost, and partially because I've heard rumors that the rotors are fragile - i.e. carelessly change wheels and you can ding/damage the rotor. I autocross, on a 2nd set of wheels, and as such change my wheels 10x a year or more. I didn't want the risk.

That said, if I had to do it all over again... without taking into consideration the recent news that they changed the pad compound and they dust a bit now... I'd likely opt for the PCCB next time, simply for the brake dust issue. My white Spyder has the silver wheels and it looks SO GOOD when they are clean. However one drive and they're more "grey" than "silver".
The following 2 users liked this post by daaa nope:
StilettoPat (01-04-2023), theEnd (12-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Are PCCBs worth it (Spyder for mostly street use)?