Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Are PCCBs worth it (Spyder for mostly street use)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023 | 05:23 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Adrift
Replacing with ST is my plan, if I wear through my PCCBs. I used to drive pretty hard on the track, to include hard braking, but being in a $100k+ car on the track may slow me down a bit. lol TBD. Especially since these cars are covered in aero vanes on the bottom. I assume there is no longer any such thing as a cost-free off.
If you are going to track the car a ton, I would also recommend going with Titanium caster pucks and changing your brake pads out at half-life when on track, this should help everything last a bit longer.

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
The following users liked this post:
Adrift (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023 | 05:41 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

as many have said, for street use PCCB is just fine. for track use, steel is preferred. it's not a question of performance but rather cost over time. either system will be more than adequate on either location.
Old 01-05-2023 | 11:14 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Even on the street, I plan on replacing my pads at half way. This will keep the rotors from getting really any heat in them and extend their life. The only time they wear is from excessive heat, normal use does not wear them at all.

Even less this time around since I am replacing them at my 20K service to try the pre 2020 full of copper goodness compound. Also going to swap over to Endless Dot 4 fluid at the same time.

I am at 18K miles now and was at the dealer for service at 16K miles and my pads measured at 9MM all around, that is hardly any wear, as I think new is 11 or 12 MM and I am not easy on my brakes, but then again, I don't get a ton of heat in them either, I just brake hard and last min. most of the time to keep them from glazing up and to avoid squeaks.

Last edited by TRZ06; 01-05-2023 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2023 | 04:18 AM
Redisc
Former Vendor

Hi guys, for the one who do not know us yet, we are specialized in carbon ceramic brakes (PCCB). So we do refurbishment and upgrades on PCCBs.
For the ones who are using ceramic brakes also on track, we are doing the process in the way, that we coat the carbon fibers that are in the core of the disc and give protection with an oxy coating to prevent oxygen from entering the disc core.
This will for 100 % extend the life time of the disc.
The similar process is done also with the refurbishment. The purpose is to fill up the gaps (airpockets), when carbon fiber evapurate and PCCBs lose its qualities. Treatment to improves the density of disc core. We are testing the with Carboteq and the results show that the disc are as new or even better.

MaddMike (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023 | 11:04 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Street: PCCB are a VERY expensive way to keep your wheels cleaner, add resale (enough to cover cost?), and possibly add chassis response. Some people say they can feel it; I haven't driven both back to back to try to tell, TBH. For street use, as noted, the rotors should essentially last the life of the car.

Since you didn't ask about track, I'll leave that part off.

I choose PCCB. I plan infrequent track use (1 DE a year, maybe 2). Given the notes about half pad wear replacement being important, I'll keep my eye out for that. And oh yeah, the yellow calipers matched my green over yellow theme, but I will NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS admit to myself or others that I would spend $8-9K on a caliper color. That would be silly. (ahem)

@TRZ06 How much of your 18k miles is track, for reference? Are those slower are faster tracks, primarily?
Old 01-06-2023 | 05:20 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
Street: PCCB are a VERY expensive way to keep your wheels cleaner, add resale (enough to cover cost?), and possibly add chassis response. Some people say they can feel it; I haven't driven both back to back to try to tell, TBH. For street use, as noted, the rotors should essentially last the life of the car.

Since you didn't ask about track, I'll leave that part off.

I choose PCCB. I plan infrequent track use (1 DE a year, maybe 2). Given the notes about half pad wear replacement being important, I'll keep my eye out for that. And oh yeah, the yellow calipers matched my green over yellow theme, but I will NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS admit to myself or others that I would spend $8-9K on a caliper color. That would be silly. (ahem)

@TRZ06 How much of your 18k miles is track, for reference? Are those slower are faster tracks, primarily?
No track time, 100% street usage.
Old 01-06-2023 | 05:23 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
No track time, 100% street usage.
Get them then. Cleaner wheels, better suspension performance, last forever, and (most importantly) look cool.
Old 01-06-2023 | 05:26 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Get them then. Cleaner wheels, better suspension performance, last forever, and (most importantly) look cool.
??

I already have them. I'm not the OP
MaddMike (01-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Are PCCBs worth it (Spyder for mostly street use)?