Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Are PCCBs worth it (Spyder for mostly street use)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2022 | 01:57 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
YEP

Mine is a 2022 and I believe I got the copper free pads, but no-one can confirm. I'm going to experiment this spring and buy 2020 GT4 pads from Sun Coast and swap them. I'll take pics of them and the ones that come off my car.
Is there a part number on the PCCB pad that can be seen without removing them? Mine is a 2020 and I would like to compare to what you and others have.
Old 12-24-2022 | 02:10 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

I have both a GT4 with steel brakes and a Spyder with PCCB's. PCCB's are 100% worth it unless the below are issues for you:

1. You track alot and will burn through the PCCB's leading to a costly replacement.
2. You want some fancy wheels like BBS E88's which will not clear PCCB's.

If you don't want either of the above then 100% get the PCCB's. They look much better than the steels since they fill in the wheel well, have no dust essentially and you won't have to replace them if you don't do any track driving.
Old 12-24-2022 | 02:22 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Is there a part number on the PCCB pad that can be seen without removing them? Mine is a 2020 and I would like to compare to what you and others have.

That is a good question, I am not sure.

I have talked to Sun Coast before and there was a part# change for the 2121 model year. However some say that the GT4 PCCB pad is still not the copper free pad as the pad they are using is complaint thru 2024, others say it is the same copper free pad material used on the 992 GT3 PCCB's. Nothing really knows for sure, not even dealers.

That is why I am going to experiment this spring. I can tell you that from when I did a test drive of a 2020 with PCCB's when I started searching it felt stronger (from what I can remember) than my car does in braking. I see people posting on here all the time showing 1.3 to 1.4 G's braking forces, yet I have done some testing on my car, and have never seen anything over 1.26 braking G forces. I also do get a little (not a lot, but some) brake dust on my wheels and from what I understand the old pads didn't do that at all, which leads me to believe I may the new copper free pads.
Old 12-24-2022 | 02:22 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cooler2442
I have both a GT4 with steel brakes and a Spyder with PCCB's. PCCB's are 100% worth it unless the below are issues for you:

1. You track alot and will burn through the PCCB's leading to a costly replacement.

If you don't want either of the above then 100% get the PCCB's. They look much better than the steels since they fill in the wheel well, have no dust essentially and you won't have to replace them if you don't do any track driving.
do you feel any real difference in terms of handling? comfort? brake feel?
Old 12-24-2022 | 03:23 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lucifer
No difference for street driving and both feel great in the canyons. Biggest difference I felt was when I installed my HRE R101LW's wheels on the Spyder that weigh only 16pounds in the front.
Old 12-24-2022 | 05:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cooler2442

I think the track aspect is dependent on how many times you go and the aggressiveness and type of track you drive on. If you go less than say 6 times a year and on shorter tracks where continual hi-speed braking is not required, then it is my understanding that the PCCB's will not be heated to the point that cause any significant wear to the rotors. So, the in this case saying you shouldn't do any track sessions with PCCB's for fear of wearing out PCCB's would not be true. However, if you were buying the car as a track toy then yes, other options may provide a better balance of the 'consumables'.

Having driven iron brakes back-to-back with PCCB, I personally say that the difference is quite noticeable, initial bite and pedal pressure is different between the two, with PCCB requiring slightly higher initial pedal pressure but giving you confidence that you have unlimited stopping power both on the street and on the track. I also find that the PCCB steering feels lighter and more responsive, think 'quick and precise' and because of the lower un-sprung weight the wheels seem less upset but irregularities in the road surface translating to better ride and road feel, add light weight wheels and this is even more apparent! I drove my Spyder with forged (lighter) wheels and PCCB then hopped it to a GT4 with OEM wheels and Iron brakes, the difference was obvious.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (01-04-2023)
Old 12-24-2022 | 05:25 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

I can say with absolute, 100% certainty that I feel a lot cooler with PCCBs on my car. The rest is irrelevant and debatable to me. :-)
The following 6 users liked this post by SpyderSenseOC:
LeftLane50mph (12-26-2022), Lucifer (12-24-2022), manifold danger (12-24-2022), RAGT4P (01-06-2023), SpeedySpidey (12-25-2022), UncleDude (01-04-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-24-2022 | 07:37 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Yes
Old 12-24-2022 | 08:00 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Yes, I know, it is a never-ending debate; trust me, I read literally hundreds of posts on the 911 forums about the subject. The fact so many opposes to PCCBs actually left me even more confused.

It is my first Porsche and my first "serious" sports car (had a Giulia QV and a Miata ND before that), and I was hoping for this great community to help me make the "smartest" decision for my case\needs.

If I go for the PCCBs - my build is super easy, Chalk with Platinum wheels, yellow stitching package&seat-belts, and... done? And I can stop wasting hours in the Porsche configurator until my lock date

The things I care about the most are looks, brake dust, and brake feel.
I read a lot about rotating weight and unsprung mass - but I doubt I am a good enough driver to notice the difference. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Two things stopping me from just checking this option - the initial cost and the worry of the cost to replace in case they get damaged.
This is a very expensive toy that I genuinely plan to keep forever (hopefully, but I am also a logical person who understands **** happens).
I don't want to have any regrets on one hand, but I also don't want to burn $9k (with tax) for yellow calipers and slightly less dust.
I also don't want to find myself replacing super expensive rotors left and right.
How common are PCCBs getting damaged? Are they fixable? Can I replace just one rotor?

An unpopular option would be just to paint the steel calipers yellow and ignore the little voice that says it is a blasphemy.

My use case would be around 4k miles with (maybe) one or two track days a year.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

I had an April 23 build slot for a Spyder. No PCCB’s and no Sport Buckets are available. SA said also goes for GT3’s and 3RS’s for now.
Old 12-25-2022 | 01:48 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by p997s123
I had an April 23 build slot for a Spyder. No PCCB’s and no Sport Buckets are available. SA said also goes for GT3’s and 3RS’s for now.
No buckets available for the GT3RS?
Old 12-25-2022 | 02:21 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

No buckets?!
Old 12-26-2022 | 05:47 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by p997s123
no Sport Buckets are available. SA said also goes for ... 3RS’s for now.
I would be shocked if this were true
Old 01-04-2023 | 12:49 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Guys, little late to this thread but just wanted to mention that if you aren't happy with your current OE PCCB pads, I would recommend the Pagid RSC1 compound. I have these in stock for the 718 GT4/RS/Spyder. Better modulation and less dust than the new formula Porsche is offering.
Also, for those who want PCCB and can't get them, Surface Transforms Upgrade (Red Calipers) and Replacement (Yellow Calipers) kits are available. Better than PCCB discs in literally every metric. Last longer, run cooler, refurbishable, lighter, larger pad selection, etc... all for half the cost of new PCCB discs...

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
Old 01-04-2023 | 01:32 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

PCCB not available during my build. I wanted them because my Spyder was for street only - life time deal. If you plan to track your car (even just twice a year), be prepared to replace the PCCB at some point and that will be very expensive. I would say, get the PCCB but only if you plan not to track it.
Old 01-04-2023 | 01:35 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runner
PCCB not available during my build. I wanted them because my Spyder was for street only - life time deal. If you plan to track your car (even just twice a year), be prepared to replace the PCCB at some point and that will be very expensive. I would say, get the PCCB but only if you plan not to track it.
I don't agree, a few track sessions a year won't kill your PCCB's!

Quick Reply: Are PCCBs worth it (Spyder for mostly street use)?