Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Differences between 718 spyder and gt4rs

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 05:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

that's an act of piracy!

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Would love to add an RS and at MSRP they're fairly priced. Not worth the market price though.

Old 12-16-2022, 12:31 AM
ColsterLXXV
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojonito
I just want to post some observations I’ve had with the rs as compared to the spyder.
Hi Mojonito,

It would be appreciated if you (or any other member) could please provide some feedback regarding whether the frequently criticised injector noise on the 4.0 GTS/GT4/Spyder is also an issue on the GT4 RS at idle and urban speeds? (I understand that the RS motor is derived from the GT3 and I must admit that I have not heard a GT3 in person, so I am not sure if it has a less jarring injector noise?). I have not been able to find any commentary regarding the idle/low speed engine noise characteristics of the GT4 RS because everyone has been talking about the wonderful acoustics higher in the rev range (which is completely understandable).

Cheers.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:36 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 136 Posts

New

seat inserts inbound.
Perfect!
Old 12-16-2022, 01:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ColsterLXXV
Hi Mojonito,

It would be appreciated if you (or any other member) could please provide some feedback regarding whether the frequently criticised injector noise on the 4.0 GTS/GT4/Spyder is also an issue on the GT4 RS at idle and urban speeds? (I understand that the RS motor is derived from the GT3 and I must admit that I have not heard a GT3 in person, so I am not sure if it has a less jarring injector noise?). I have not been able to find any commentary regarding the idle/low speed engine noise characteristics of the GT4 RS because everyone has been talking about the wonderful acoustics higher in the rev range (which is completely understandable).

Cheers.
I heard nothing while driving the 4RS for a couple of days last year ... different motor entirely
The following users liked this post:
ColsterLXXV (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 05:49 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 496 Likes on 244 Posts

I haven’t noticed yet but I am still learning the car. I’ll try listen better, (and not get distracted by the 9k rpm scream).
Old 01-17-2023, 07:20 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

2000 mile update. Car is in a league of its own. Nothing at a comparable price point evokes the fun this car does. It’s not without its flaws in its stock form but the scream in the cabin at higher revs, listening to it suck air when on the throttle, pdks up and down shifts, and it’s handling just make this car a dream come true. Also, Fabspeed just put it on the dyno and it made 461 hp at the wheels, more than their 992 gt3 (keep in mind not tested same day).

Dr.Bill (01-27-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 12:58 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Odin
Very well put!

There’s simply nothing like the GT4RS out there. Haven’t driven the Spyder, except the 2011 one, and GT4’s of all model years. The difference in power is BIG. You simply can’t tap into all of it whenever you like on the GT4RS. You got to be observant of steering angle, brake zone and surface and of course traffic around you. Most Porsches I’ve owned, I could just floor the throttle pretty much whenever, except for the tuned 996.2GT3CS, but in the GT4RS I’ve come to drive it like a volcano verging on eruption, and that’s how I like it. It keeps me alert and motivated to keep finding the boundaries and enjoying it. Don’t see myself be blasé about it and wanting to move on to another car anytime soon.

Out of curiosity, the 2 cars you have do pretty much overlap 80% of the time. I tend to buy cars with less overlap in use (964, Cayenne, GT4RS + 2 dailies). I guess none is your daily, but when will you use them, and for what purposes?
I sold the spyder to the dealer. The question is if I get a srs allocation do I keep the gt4rs.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:40 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

.....The question is if I get a srs allocation do I keep the gt4rs.
Yes, because spy shots suggest the SRS may be ugly.
The following 2 users liked this post by DFW01TT:
Larry Cable (01-26-2023), UncleDude (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 05:25 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Hey Larry, Awesome that you’ve driven both. I really want to get behind the wheel of the 4RS

I wouldn’t call the rear suspension on the Spyder or 4RS compromised. It may be less advanced or sophisticated all around than the current GT3, but that doesn’t make it compromised. The 4RS’s 7.04.5 on the Ring is better than many sports cars with sophisticated multilink setups.

To compare the “rear suspensions” in a more apples to apples way we should compare the 4RS with the 991.2 GT3 as they both have nearly identical strut setups up front. I believe the 4RS outperforms the 991.2 GT3 despite the latter cars more sophisticated multilink rear suspension. Something to keep in mind.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
IMO having driven both the 4RS and 992 GT3 on track, the 4RS still suffers from the same compromised rear suspension as the Spyder does, it is *not* happy on a bumpy track (or road for that matter) in either normal or sport mode.

the GT3's more sophisticated rear suspension and steering make it a significantly faster and more confidence inspiring car (on track)
Old 01-26-2023, 07:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Underblu
Hey Larry, Awesome that you’ve driven both. I really want to get behind the wheel of the 4RS

I wouldn’t call the rear suspension on the Spyder or 4RS compromised. It may be less advanced or sophisticated all around than the current GT3, but that doesn’t make it compromised. The 4RS’s 7.04.5 on the Ring is better than many sports cars with sophisticated multilink setups.

To compare the “rear suspensions” in a more apples to apples way we should compare the 4RS with the 991.2 GT3 as they both have nearly identical strut setups up front. I believe the 4RS outperforms the 991.2 GT3 despite the latter cars more sophisticated multilink rear suspension. Something to keep in mind.
I disagree - its not about the front suspension!
Old 01-26-2023, 08:43 PM
Underblu
Banned

It’s not about the fornt suspension, but if you want to accurately compare rear suspensions, picking two cars with identical front suspension provides a far more accurate test. Does it not?

The 992 GT3 has a double wishbone up front whereas the 991.2 GT3 has a strut set up as on the Spyder/GT4/RS.

Where the 991.2 GT3 and 4RS differ suspension wise is in the rear, and from what I can tell from the numbers, the GT4 RS outperforms the 991.2 GT3. Therefore, I don’t see how anyone can call the GT4 RS suspension compromised. Despite the fact it uses a more more ol’ skool approach.

I disagree - its not about the front suspension!

Last edited by Underblu; 01-26-2023 at 08:46 PM.
lilbza (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 08:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Underblu
It’s not about the fornt suspension, but if you want to accurately compare rear suspensions, picking two cars with identical front suspension provides a far more accurate test. Does it not?

The 992 GT3 has a double wishbone up front whereas the 991.2 GT3 has a strut set up as on the Spyder/GT4/RS.

Where the 991.2 GT3 and 4RS differ suspension wise is in the rear, and from what I can tell from the numbers, the GT4 RS outperforms the 991.2 GT3. Therefore, I don’t see how anyone can call the GT4 RS suspension compromised. Despite the fact it uses a more more ol’ skool approach.
I think either you or I or both of us are talking past each other ...

In my personal driving experience in 4RS, 991.2 and 992 GT3's the GT3s are more composed and therefore faster over a bumpy track like the 'Ring, than the 4RS and again in my opinion this is entirely down to the rear suspension on the 4RS vs. that of the GT3's multi-link and RWS ...

YMMV.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:53 PM
Underblu
Banned

Perhaps we are. Larry you’ve driven both cars at Nordschliefe. Your observations are completely valid. My point is that comparing Nordschliefe times between the 992 GT3 with the double wishbone front suspension and the 4RS says less about the rear suspesnion differences than the 4RS vs the 991.2 GT3

Again I don’t think I’m saying anything you haven’t said regarding the 991.2, 992 GT3s and the GT4RS

however the 992 GT3 is a faster and more capable car than the GT4RS as demonstrated by their respective 'Ring lap times... the multi-link suspension and RWS is superior to the MacPherson system on the 4RS ... the 991.2 GT3 is a much closer performance profile...
The 991.2 GT3 also has a multilink rear like the 992 so maybe the rear suspension differences in absolute terms are minor. Don’t get me wrong, I also find the multilink setup more composed on bumpy or undulating surfaces where you have to be a little more present with the Spyder/GT4/RS setup. But I would also say the 718 mid engine chassis is more balanced which ameliorates this difference. Which is why on a track like Nordschliefe the GT4RS puts up numbers equal to or better than the 991.2 GT3 despite the latters multi-link rear setup. I will concede that the drive in the 991.2 GT3 might be less “nervous than the 4RS and this is to your point.

I think either you or I or both of us are talking past each other ...

In my personal driving experience in 4RS, 991.2 and 992 GT3's the GT3s are more composed and therefore faster over a bumpy track like the 'Ring, than the 4RS and again in my opinion this is entirely down to the rear suspension on the 4RS vs. that of the GT3's multi-link and RWS ...

YMMV.

Last edited by Underblu; 01-27-2023 at 05:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Differences between 718 spyder and gt4rs