Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2024, 06:53 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I took a 20-yo car nut for a ride today in the 4RS. His mind was blown, he was amazed, speechless for a while, said he couldn't imagine a better car. I think the sound and shifting really got him. I never pushed over 6/10ths, but spent a lot of time in the top third of the rev range. Maybe some of us older folks are a bit jaded and hard to impress; oh, to be young again ...

Absolutely !!

Expectations from a 20YO who is just learning about cars and dynamics are going to be TOTALLY difference from one who is older and has much more experiences to draw from.

That is true of everything, not just cars
Old 07-20-2024, 08:26 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbza
I didn't mention anything about ADM's, not everyone pays them. The U.S market is the only country that has them. Like every GT3 before it, prices will continue to slide as the next model is released. The GT4RS being the one and only will always have enough demand into the future to keep prices above MSRP, IMO.
I don’t see it. Asking prices on Autotrader nationwide are maybe 15-20% above msrp now. Initial adm asks for the very first builds were 100k+. I just bought one new for a bit above msrp. In California and mega ADM land. And I could have negotiated down more. Prices have dropped steeply and quickly. These cars on sitting are dealer floors.

i see the same problem with the Dakar.

Now the gt4rs will be the last best ice cayman and probably the best cayman outright for the next several years. That’ll help.

I don’t see this as a knock against the car. It’s not an investment, it’s a Funday driver. I’m looking forward to finishing break in and wringing it out
The following users liked this post:
ToasterThief (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 09:45 PM
Wired4fun
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

My GT4RS is in production and I’m psyched. I tend not to listen to others and reviews but simply buy what moves me, and I’ve loved this model since it was announced.

Super excited to get mine and even more excited to drive it

As enthusiasts we can argue merit and value and on and on, but sometimes it’s just more important to enjoy and have fun
The following 8 users liked this post by Wired4fun:
AlexCeres (Yesterday), DJN (Yesterday), lilbza (07-20-2024), Mike981S (Today), RDCR (07-20-2024), TDT (Yesterday), ToasterThief (Yesterday), TOporschefan (Yesterday) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizzy1127
Hes not joking. Seen his car in person and is a PCA instructor, very knowledgable about the cayman platform and is fast in real life. Some people have the desire and financial means to be able to do such things. People mod their cars all the time.
Thank you for the kind words sir.
Old Today, 08:35 AM
rcrubicon
7th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Update: Track driving impressions

I got my RS to about 1,400 street miles, and then took it to the track for 3 days this past weekend. Prior to, I had a race shop adjust the alignment by adding shims and adjusted toe and camber to better preserve the tires for track use and open up the steering. The cars front end was noticeably more direct/nimble post alignment, and tire wear on track was much better compared to a friends who didn’t do an alignment pre-track day and got severe delaminating on his tires and uneven wear.

As intense as the car is on the road (my
impressions are earlier in this thread) on track It’s a lot more engaging and entertaining; FUN FUN FUN! With practice, you can really unleash the car and get a 5/5 fun factor. To me, it’s really worth 2 track days to adapt to the car and see what it can do in your hands.

I do have some track oriented observations to share. First, seat angle with a large helmet sucks after a couple sessions. My neck
isnt happy and I will get a reclining solution for the buckets. Second, while PDK auto was good, the cars incredible sensitive to throttle pressure
and I found it better to shift manually to select the powerband I want for the situation i was in. Open track auto was pretty good, but manual was better when pushing and approaching passing zones behind slower traffic.

In hindsight, I don’t see how you can fully appreciate what PAG made without using the car in both road/track environments. It recalibrated my mind on what the car is capable of and how it fits into my collection. I’ll continue to track this and my spyder a few days/year.

i still stand by that for street, where i drive twisty, flowing backroads through forests and mountains, its very fun and engaging between 4-7k RPM and pdk is flexible enough so you can shift however you like. It’s probably 4/5 on the fun scale on these roads, as it’s just too much engine to be 5/5 (your only really able to use 50-75% of the power consistently). To get that 5/5 fun factor, go explore the platforms capabilities on a circuit and you will (probably) be amazed.

The following 2 users liked this post by rcrubicon:
Snowy999 (Today), TDT (Today)
Old Today, 08:49 AM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Agree with the alignment! I just did a ton of miles to get the car through break in and tracked it for the first time (second 4RS, that I tracked a lot last year before trading in). Wasnt able to get a track alignment before I picked up the car unfortunately and I felt it really needed it from experience last year. Observations:

For reference, I alternate between intermediate / advanced group depending on the club I run with.

1. Dunlop tires WOW. Like much better than Cup 2! Hardly any wear and delaminating with a long high speed track day. 80 tread wear! Very sticky. Opposite of what I was expecting. I was a big Michelin fan boy before.

2. Stock alignment not great for track. Def need this fixed. Less tire pressure in front seemed to help the understeer. Car pushed a lot. Needs to feel more “911”. Careful with 2nd gear throttle. Rear will spin! And typical cayman, hard braking gets a wiggle in the back!

3. High temp brake fluid seems needed even for a couple track days a year IMO. Felt some pedal fade.

4. Sorry everyone but LWB….i feel like I am being thrown all over this car the LWB seats do not hold me in. I actually think the 991 18 ways were the best (and better than the 992 18 ways) in my previous GT3s. I am not about to cut up a new car to put a roll bar in as it will only see a handful track days a year. Compromise to enjoy the car stock.

5. Car was flawless… but I must say I may have had 50-75% in a lightly modded BRZ to work on more car control. My instructor said he much preferred the 4RS over recently driving a 2019 3RS. I let him drive it for a half a session. GASP!

Enjoy your cars. Take them to the track. Life is short. Car feels slightly underwhelming on street driving.

Last edited by jabwind51; Today at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions