Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Big dealer or small dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022 | 06:07 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

My anecdote - When I was trying to figure out where to put a deposit down to get on the waitlist for the then-newly announced 718 GT4 in June 2019, I called a few local dealers to feel out what my odds were of ever getting a 718 GT4. I am lucky in that there are several (7 or 8??) Porsche dealers within about 60 miles of my location, and 2 of them are Premier Porsche dealers.

I put deposits down at 2 of the local dealers - one very big, and one very small. The small volume dealer told me that they had gotten only 2 total GT4 allocations when the 2016 GT4 was available. They told me that I would be #5 on their 718 GT4 waitlist, and although they thought at the time there would probably be a 2 year production run, they warned me that because I was 5th, I might not ever get a GT4 allocation from them. The large volume dealer I put a deposit down at is a US Premier dealer. So they get a lot more GT car allocations. I believe that they had gotten at least 20 GT4 allocations to sell in 2016. The large dealer told me that I would be 18th on their 718 GT4 wait list. They nevertheless told me with high confidence that they could get me a 718 GT4 but it might be a 2021 allocation.

I ended up getting a call with an allocation offer from the small dealer where I was #5 first. And then the large dealer where I was #18 called me about a month later and said they had a GT4 allocation for me. (This was also in Q2 2020 in the heart of early COVID. So I assume that helped my allocation chances too...)
Old 10-24-2022 | 09:56 PM
Unstock
Pro

As many lists as you can get on. I was on 1 list for 10 months with no word from them. I called my SA and he said if I was serious about getting an allocation call other dealers. The next day I made a call and had an allocation for my Spyder for an ADM. This was September of 2021 when my order was put in, I picked it up 12-11-21. I feel it's too late to get an allocation before the production ends for the GT4 and Spyder. Unless you are will to pay a massive ADM, $20k or more might do it. If you use a broker it will cost you about that much, or possibly more.

Last edited by Unstock; 10-24-2022 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2022 | 10:42 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by sgreer78
This is kind of bull****. If you place a deposit based on being a certain number it indeed does matter your position. Find a reputable dealer regardless of the size and build a relationship.
Exactly, my dealer honored my spot. You're next ='ed come in to put money down followed by the next allocation they got I got. I was a nobody also. I also found out they gave me 3 years of free service, a bunch of free stuff including a Porsche Ctek when I took delivery, free oil when I was trying to buy some, etc. I feel like someone accidentally marked me as a VIP. So I really like my small dealer.

...but I will also remember the guy who put a deposit down at a small Oregon dealer and said he was 8th or something before the car was even released... Pretty sure that his dealership blew smoke up his *** because he was still allocation free when my MY22 was being born. I'll also always remember the big dealership that ghosted me after they said I could have the allocation they just got. Some dealerships are better than others, some staff are better than others, etc. YMMV. If this forum taught me anything is don't expect much from a pacific north west dealer or a california dealer.

Last edited by Zhao; 10-24-2022 at 10:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022 | 10:10 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xxyion
demand orders is just a fancy way of saying "hey we have your build code and we typed up an official document stating your interest" and that's about it. It doesn't do anything in terms of getting an allocation sooner.

You'll know you've gotten an allocation when you get a document with a V200 code. That means that the order has been received by Porsche and they have an estimated delivery date for you.
there is more to it
Porsche can access demand orders, so if a dealer has more demand orders in the system as compared to another dealer, Porsche will take that into consideration. It is not the only factor, for allocations, but is a factor
which makes sense from a factory stand point
give dealers with seriously interested people more allocations as compared to dealers with no interested people as this will increase the chance of selling your cars rather than getting stuck with inventory on lots
unfortunately , as always is the case , not every dealer play by the rules and some dealers add random people to order list to get more allocations
but Porsche is paying attention, if they see same name repeatedly in the system for different cars, they call and double check with dealer
Old 10-25-2022 | 10:29 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
and, most “lists” are simply a list of contacts that have interest. There is no order to them. Typically an allocation simply goes to the highest bidder, doesn’t matter your “position” on the list.
That must be a California thing. My local dealers have lists that they go down and they can tell you what number you are on the list. They only sell at MSRP so if they think someone on the list is a flipper, dealer, or out of town, they will skip them.

I do agree, a relationship with the dealer is important. I never purchased a car from the dealer I go my Spyder from BUT I used to service my 997 there so they knew I was local and that I would be back for services and hopefully to trade up when the time comes.
Old 10-25-2022 | 10:50 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

This is interesting to me because I've only ordered new cars from one dealership, happens to be the closest to me, is a Porsche Premier dealer and is also a small volume dealer. It's is the only dealer that has not bull****ted me and gotten me real allocations and real cars. I also have the luxury of having MANY Porsche dealers within a reasonable radius (last I counted was 10 or more). I've bought new/used off the lot from several other dealers, local and remote. I drove literally halfway across the country from Maryland to Memphis once to buy my 981 GTS, at the time the only manual GTS for sale in the country...

I've gotten the runaround from several large volume dealers, one of which in particular I had previously bought a used 991.2 from and totally ghosted me after taking my demand order. I mean, like, delete my presence on social media type ****. Would not return phone calls, emails, nothing! Severely unprofessional (unless something bad happened to him...), and I was not being in any way pushy or annoying; I just had a conversation expressing interest in a 992 S, asked about the expected wait time and he told me to submit a demand order with no deposit, he said they only take deposits when they get actual allocations. Then- POOF, he's gone lol. In retrospect I think the SA I was working with only sold used cars and I made the mistake of attempting to work with him exclusively... in any case, I clearly moved on. It's not even worth naming and shaming, because I've seen plenty of positive reviews from this largest volume dealer on the east coast centrally located in Philadelphia here on Rennlist, so YMMV.

I have wonderful stories to tell of my local dealer, which after my Macan GTS arrives in about a week or so will be my 3rd ordered car from them, and have had 6 cars serviced there over the past 8 years or so... they did make it clear that they are focusing exclusively on the local market for the foreseeable future (mostly why I'm not directly naming them but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out; I even posted pictures with the license plate bracket recently ), and do not charge ADM on any car besides GT cars. So that said, even with my relationship I've been told to expect an ADM if I was in the market for any GT car- but then again, this was a few months ago and I'm not sure how things may change.

All of this to say, is it helps to build an established relationship. Fortunately for me, it wasn't about buying cars "I didn't want"; frankly, I think that is a ridiculous approach. You don't buy a Cayenne hybrid because you want a GT3... just pay the damn ADM.

For me it's all about patience. I've bought cars that were right for me and my wife at the time I bought them. I feel like now after 3 cars at this dealer and regular service visits, if the next-generation GT4 or Spyder is announced and it's something I'd be interested in, I'd have a good chance at actually receiving an allocation... but that said, I don't think I'd stand a chance at a GT3T or Spyder RS or anything truly exclusive like that. They have true VIPs that those cars are reserved for, and that makes sense to me from a business perspective. If I wanted one of these super special cars I'd be just like all the other plebes and forced to find one on the gray market at god knows what asking price...

Which is to say, like others have said, if you want one bad enough, you'll pay it.
daaa nope (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022 | 08:59 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

This is old news, yet why do so many folks keep saying otherwise?

GT4/GTS/Spyder Production will be around thru 2026. Porsche's GT4/GTS N/A Flat-Six Will Stick Around Until 2026
Old 10-25-2022 | 09:26 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 981KMAN

GT4/GTS/Spyder Production will be around thru 2026. Porsche's GT4/GTS N/A Flat-Six Will Stick Around Until 2026
Unless I read the article wrong they said the 9A2EVO engine would last until 2026 because of EU 7 standards.

Porsche has already said the 4.0L motor in these cars is a one and done.

718 EV follow-on is slated for MY25. Less than 2 more years on the current gen.
Unstock (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022 | 09:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 981KMAN

Referencing a 3 year old article, one that most likely came out prior to pandemic and EU 7. Smh

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Unless I read the article wrong they said the 9A2EVO engine would last until 2026 because of EU 7 standards.

Porsche has already said the 4.0L motor in these cars is a one and done.

718 EV follow-on is slated for MY25. Less than 2 more years on the current gen.
EU 7 is actually being revisited based on the automobile lobby; spending for short term gain vs spending for EV.

Quick Reply: Big dealer or small dealer?