Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Big dealer or small dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 02:42 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Big dealer or small dealer?

I'm looking to add my name to a wait-list for a GT4. Would it be more beneficial to add myself to a smaller dealer with only 3 people on their wait-list or a larger dealer with 8 people on their list? Which dealer would move through allocations more quickly?
Old 10-24-2022, 02:51 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 364 Posts

Bigger dealers get more allocations. Bigger dealers have more people waiting for those allocations. Do you have a history with any Porsche dealers? That's where I'd start.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:13 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
Bigger dealers get more allocations. Bigger dealers have more people waiting for those allocations. Do you have a history with any Porsche dealers? That's where I'd start.
and, most “lists” are simply a list of contacts that have interest. There is no order to them. Typically an allocation simply goes to the highest bidder, doesn’t matter your “position” on the list.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:14 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 364 Posts

Exactly. They're waiting pools, not waiting lists.

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
and, most “lists” are simply a list of contacts that have interest. There is no order to them. Typically an allocation simply goes to the highest bidder, doesn’t matter your “position” on the list.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:23 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by LifesAnesthesia
I'm looking to add my name to a wait-list for a GT4. Would it be more beneficial to add myself to a smaller dealer with only 3 people on their wait-list or a larger dealer with 8 people on their list? Which dealer would move through allocations more quickly?
If you really want one, the correct answer is "both". I put down a deposit in April 2019...still waiting. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
edub (10-25-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 03:26 PM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other. The high volume dealers receive more allocations; however, they have more on the waiting list. Lower volume dealers receive few allocations (could be as few as 0-2 per year) and they will have fewer people on the waiting list. Candidly, I wouldn't entertain a waiting list in the current environment. I would either 1) make phone calls to all the dealers in the country until you strike gold; or 2) connect with a broker and see what they have. For either option be ready to place a deposit down on the spot should you find one. Happy hunting!

Last edited by Clark_Kent; 10-24-2022 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:30 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,249 Likes on 700 Posts

How badly do you want a GT4? Are you in the boat of, I want a new one super bad and I really want to get one before they stop production? Or are you more, it would be nice to have one but if they stop production then oh well?

Also what are you willing to pay? are you on the waitlist for MSRP? Or is there a markup?

Based on my experience, waitlists aren't numerical lists where the dealer calls each person next in line when their turn is up. A dealership can say you are 2nd in line but then you'll wait 2 years and still won't get an allocation.
What I have found to be true more often than not, is that unless you have a very very good relationship with a dealership (most likely a long history of cars from them), the chances of you getting a GT4 are basically zero. If you want a car, you're going to need to be willing to pay ADM.(this is also assuming you are in the US).

And this ties into how badly you want the car. IF you want it before production ends I recommend be willing to pay at least 20k ADM and maybe work with a broker who can get you an allocation. If you don't care enough about getting a new GT4 before production ends, then I would recommend putting yourself on waitlists with as many dealerships as you can for the price you are willing to pay. If you get one, awesome, if you don't, just buy used.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,940 Likes on 2,798 Posts

I would rather choose a place where you can make a good personal relationship (and choose a dealership that has a good reputation for honoring their list and not applying excessive ADM's or requiring that you buy several vehicles for which you have no real desire)
The following users liked this post:
Clark_Kent (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 03:37 PM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I would rather choose a place where you can make a good personal relationship (and choose a dealership that has a good reputation for honoring their list and not applying excessive ADM's or requiring that you buy several vehicles for which you have no real desire)
+1. My local dealers required me to "establish a relationship" with them before I could buy a GT car. What that means is: buy a bunch of cars you don't want to MAYBE get an opportunity to buy a GT car. No thank you. They can change my oil but I will never buy a car from them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clark_Kent:
85Gold (10-24-2022), Zhao (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 03:42 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
I do - I bought a 992 2 years ago at my local dealer but unfortunately they aren't taking any more deposits on a GT4.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:42 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
This is kind of bull****. If you place a deposit based on being a certain number it indeed does matter your position. Find a reputable dealer regardless of the size and build a relationship.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:02 PM
MarcusZ
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say both. However if they ask for a build code and actually put in a demand request for you at two dealerships, I've heard that can create an issue.
Old 10-24-2022, 05:04 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by MarcusZ
I would say both. However if they ask for a build code and actually put in a demand request for you at two dealerships, I've heard that can create an issue.
Are demand orders a thing? The smaller dealer I'm talking to, the SA didn't seem to know what a demand order was? The larger dealer mentioned a demand order to me.
Old 10-24-2022, 05:19 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,249 Likes on 700 Posts

Are demand orders a thing? The smaller dealer I'm talking to, the SA didn't seem to know what a demand order was? The larger dealer mentioned a demand order to me.
demand orders is just a fancy way of saying "hey we have your build code and we typed up an official document stating your interest" and that's about it. It doesn't do anything in terms of getting an allocation sooner.

You'll know you've gotten an allocation when you get a document with a V200 code. That means that the order has been received by Porsche and they have an estimated delivery date for you.
Old 10-24-2022, 05:25 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Both

Quick Reply: Big dealer or small dealer?