Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Blah about my upcoming Spyder…

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 06:49 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

I don't understand the sentiment about the noise being an issue. It's not, unless you just really like loud exhaust coming out of the tailpipe at all times. Yes, it is "quiet" below 4k rpm, definitely more quiet than the 718 GTS 2.5T I had before it... and the 991.2 I had before that... and the 981 GTS I had before that... so I can only guess Porsche had to engineer out the insufferable drone that seems to be reported by some folks with aftermarket exhausts. But as soon as you touch the throttle in sport mode you're blasted with a wonderful intake noise that the 981 can't match, and likely isn't duplicated in any car in the sub-$300k price range. I've said it before, to me it sounds truly exotic and I can't get enough of it.

I guess it's personal taste, but I've always been more of a fan of a great induction noise over a loud exhaust noise. And in this sense, the 718 4.0 platform is way better than the 981.

The extra power in the 4.0 especially in the lower rev range adds to the experience as well.

As I mentioned, I had a 981 Boxster GTS and yes that car too sounded amazing, but in a different way. That car would envelop you with the raspy growl emitted from the tailpipe, without much to speak of for intake noise (or maybe it was just drowned out by the surprisingly loud exhaust). I personally actually prefer the 718, even stock... but that said I will be getting a Kline setup in due time.

(I'll also take the opportunity to add my car isn't even broken in yet and was just delivered last week. Might be novelty but I'm certainly enjoying it right now)

Also one more thing to add- to me, the 991.1 generation matched the same feel that the 981 generation had- honestly it feels a bit dated compared to the newer generations. I know they're essentially the same, but the minor chassis and powertrain tweaks made in the refresh from the 991.1 to 991.2 and 981 to 982 were a huge shift in overall driving feel. ESPECIALLY steering. I think very few folks on here lament the loss of "analog" feel or whatever in the older platforms but I disagree, I think it's more so Porsche just figured out the paradigm shifts they made with that electric rack and just had more time to perfect the chassis. Even the steering wheel is a huge improvement. To me, I think hopping into a 718 Spyder after putting around in a 991.1 C4S will feel like a totally different experience... but those 991 N/A engines did sound pretty good. For whatever reason I think they sounded better inside the cabin than the 981s did, although they were essentially the same engines...

Anyway, I think the OP will be pleasantly surprised by the 718 if the only Porsche experience thus far was a 991.1. It will feel like a much more composed chassis, with greatly improved steering feel, and if it's a manual vs manual there is no comparison; the 7MT in the 991.1 pretty much sucked, the 6MT in the Spyder is one of the best that's ever been built.

Last edited by manifold danger; 10-23-2022 at 07:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by manifold danger:
baege (11-02-2022), DFW01TT (10-25-2022), Zeus993 (10-24-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 08:09 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by axoo
I am probably not going to get any sympathy from anyone but here I go. Almost 18 months ago I got #1 on a waiting list for a Spyder. I am supposed to get the car at the end of November. It’s been delayed a couple of times. After all the waiting and anticipation, I’m not even sure I want the car anymore. I feel blah about it. Definitely a first world problem. I also feel that I should have gotten a GT4 and that I’m only getting that car to develop a relationship with the dealer - who has been fair and square so far selling me the car at MSRP - so I can get a shot at a GT3 Touring which is really the car I want. Not sure what to expect by posting this but any opinion is welcome. Hopefully y’all don’t think I’m an entitled a hole…Thanks…
Your feeling of "blah" has little to do with the car, and more to do with the wait. We get excited about something, and then when it takes just too long to materialize, that enthusiasm goes away. Unfortunately, I feel that this is going to be the new normal for quite some time in the post-pandemic world. Years ago, before the internet, all we had in terms of anticipation was printed car magazines that came out monthly. It was often only a few months before we knew about a new car coming, and then you could get a car just a few months after that. No so anymore. Both the anticipation and the actual wait times are increased so we have a double whammy.

Just about 1 year ago, I ordered the replacement for my daily driver Macan GTS. It was a 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback with the Audi Exclusive bronze styling package. I just received the car after a 1 year wait. However, knowing the car would take more than twice as long to get into my hands as it used to, I ordered well before I needed to take delivery then just went about my business, not holding my breath. My Macan was filling my needs just fine, and I had in my mind that the car would arrive whenever it arrives. Then one day, I got a call from my dealer that my car was in production. Still didn't hold my breath. Then one day, 4 months later, I got a call from my dealer that my car would be here within a week. Only then did I get excited.

So I have owned my Spyder now since June 2020. I don't know how long I will keep it, but after a 140 mile drive yesterday with the top down, I can tell you that it is a simply magnificent machine that satisfies every time. However, I may just order my next toy, with no expectation of when it will arrive. In the meantime, I will just enjoy what I have and not start anticipating.

Last edited by VVG; 10-23-2022 at 10:24 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by VVG:
axoo (10-23-2022), Bearrun21 (10-23-2022), wizee (10-26-2022), Zeus993 (10-24-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 08:42 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Current reality: New car purchasing, especially new Porsche purchasing, is not for those that demand immediate gratification or lose interest in things quickly. (a respin of what vvg just said, basically)
The following 3 users liked this post by Adrift:
axoo (10-23-2022), DreiPedals (10-23-2022), Zeus993 (10-24-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 11:42 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

If the GT3T is what you really want, I would go on the list right now and tell the dealer you will be trading the Spyder in for it. Could help you move up the list.

100% understand a long wait for the car can certainly dull the excitement. FWIW, I waited a whole year for my replacement conrod car. That’s in addition to the initial 9 month wait from trading in my old car to the arrival of the first car.

Just like telling a kid you can’t get your Christmas present this year, you have to wait some more. The wait can certainly be frustrating.

The following users liked this post:
axoo (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 12:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I have a 991.2 GT3 and a 718 Spyder they are both great cars and are very different and compliment each other.

the Spyder is the quintessential open top 2 seater (manual) sportscar experience, but ultimately the GT3 is the better overall handling car IMO...

but for N.Ca canyon carving I always take the Spyder ... I'd say having obtained the unobtainium I would get the car ... or pass it on to one of the many people who truly desire one!

Also having driven both the 992 GT3 and the 718GT4RS - I would take the GT3 over the 4RS any day ...
Old 10-23-2022, 01:32 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Your feeling of "blah" has little to do with the car, and more to do with the wait. We get excited about something, and then when it takes just too long to materialize, that enthusiasm goes away. Unfortunately, I feel that this is going to be the new normal for quite some time in the post-pandemic world. Years ago, before the internet, all we had in terms of anticipation was printed car magazines that came out monthly. It was often only a few months before we knew about a new car coming, and then you could get a car just a few months after that. No so anymore. Both the anticipation and the actual wait times are increased so we have a double whammy.

Just about 1 year ago, I ordered the replacement for my daily driver Macan GTS. It was a 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback with the Audi Exclusive bronze styling package. I just received the car after a 1 year wait. However, knowing the car would take more than twice as long to get into my hands as it used to, I ordered well before I needed to take delivery then just went about my business, not holding my breath. My Macan was filling my needs just fine, and I had in my mind that the car would arrive whenever it arrives. Then one day, I got a call from my dealer that my car was in production. Still didn't hold my breath. Then one day, 4 months later, I got a call from my dealer that my car would be here within a week. Only then did I get excited.

So I have owned my Spyder now since June 2020. I don't know how long I will keep it, but after a 140 mile drive yesterday with the top down, I can tell you that it is a simply magnificent machine that satisfies every time. However, I may just order my next toy, with no expectation of when it will arrive. In the meantime, I will just enjoy what I have and not start anticipating.

Very good point. This is more about human psychology than the car. Pre pandemic, we lived in a very instant gratification world that was moving faster and faster and it was getting worse every year. The pandemic brought all that to an end and we are now going back in time 10-15 years.

In some ways, I think the pandemic was a good thing (san people dying of course). Things were starting to move way too fast. You saw it everywhere, in business, personal lives, trends, etc. That is the dark side of the internet and the instant information age. Moving forward is great but IMO there is such a thing as moving too fast.

We as a society, are still in the middle of reprogramming our brains to this new pace and new reality.

We are dealing with 1st word issues here on this forum, but this really applies to everything, you just have to be pro-active and intentional for the things you want or want to achieve. It's a great life lesson for the younger folks on here.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRZ06:
axoo (10-23-2022), Zeus993 (10-24-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 04:01 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 445 Posts

Love my Spyder but a 992 GT3 touring as an upgrade? Oh hell yes.
UncleDude (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 04:25 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Love my Spyder but a 992 GT3 touring as an upgrade? Oh hell yes.
Apples to oranges to me since one is a vert and the other is a hardtop, which makes such a change an "oh hell no" to me. But I am looking at selling my Spyder for a Speedster, which is the closest thing to a GT3 vert.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:13 AM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts

There is a guards 2022 GT3 touring on BaT right now. It’s basically new:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...gt3-touring-2/

current bid is $200k with 4 days to go. MSRP is $218k.

when it comes to owning these cars, I think the right way to think about your expense is rarely purchase price, or ADM, but rather net depreciation plus running costs for the holding period. It’s hard to say what it will be exactly, but it’s not clear that purchasing 2-3 Porsches from a dealer (each with its own depreciation and running costs), then buying a GT3T new, is going to be cheaper.

If you really really want a GT3T, just buy a lightly used one right now and enjoy it while you wait for an allocation.

edit: opps, it’s at $250k, but the point still holds.

Last edited by ttcbj; 10-24-2022 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:02 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

My good Gen-1 Spyder owning buddy just rec'd his GT3 T a month ago and he is smitten with it beyond belief. No question it's an EPIC Porsche, but having owned a number Porsches, the last one before my current Spyder a 2011 GT3RS, I question the usability of the GT cars on the streets and local roads.

Granted any RS variety is a track focused ride but I found myself CONSTANTLY driving it way beyond local speed limits just to "let the genie out of the bottle" and her up to full boil. Those of you that have owned or own one probably know what I mean. Below 4500 RPMs it's a tractor, clanking along in 2nd gear. But give it some space, and push that throttle open and it is an intoxicating experience. And that's where my problems began. Just way to fast in the fun zone of the car.

Enter in the 718 Spyder with it's sublime styling, an amazing drive train (especially with Cup 2s on drive roads) and a decent, albeit not GT caliber engine, and a top that you can drop. It is, as others have mentioned, the quintesensial sports car of it's generation, fun to drive slow and fast, and an engine note that is easy to live with.

And I understand the appeal of the pure GT cars. They are very very cool. I used to say things like "A real driver drives his GT3 daily and eats nails for breakfast" and "You can take the RS out of the race but you can't take the race out of the RS" and other ludicrous things like that. I enjoyed it fully but in the end, for the driving I like to do (I'm not a pure track guy, just the odd time) up in the back woods hills and canyons, the Spyder is the best.

To the OP? I'd take the 718 Spyder, get out and drive it like you stole it, find some roads to drive it HARD, and really see what it's made of. You may be pleasantly surprised and use it for a few years while you get in line (if that is possible) for a GT variant.

Just my two bits...

P.s. The RS was like marrying some crazy wild child that wanted to party ALL the time. And that's what we did! But with way too many speeding tickets later, I finally annulled the marriage, ordered the Spyder and here I am. Do I still think of the RS? Yep. Like a great holiday, concert, experience etc... will never forget.

Last edited by Zeus993; 10-24-2022 at 09:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zeus993:
josephr25 (10-25-2022), LZRD GRN (10-24-2022), UncleDude (10-25-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 09:10 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by ttcbj
There is a guards 2022 GT3 touring on BaT right now. It’s basically new:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...gt3-touring-2/

current bid is $200k with 4 days to go. MSRP is $218k.

when it comes to owning these cars, I think the right way to think about your expense is rarely purchase price, or ADM, but rather net depreciation plus running costs for the holding period. It’s hard to say what it will be exactly, but it’s not clear that purchasing 2-3 Porsches from a dealer (each with its own depreciation and running costs), then buying a GT3T new, is going to be cheaper.

If you really really want a GT3T, just buy a lightly used one right now and enjoy it while you wait for an allocation.

edit: opps, it’s at $250k, but the point still holds.
Very valid points. Who cares if there is a $25k ADM if the value holds up all the same over the ownership period. But as you pointed out, we are in such a time of price uncertainty that we just don't know. While $25k is not nothing (for me anyway), it also shouldn't break the bank for most people shopping these cars. So you don't get it all back. Maybe you still get some of it on resale?

If you keep waiting and waiting for the perfect time, perfect price, or perfect car, you may just end up with nothing.

Last edited by VVG; 10-24-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Zeus993 (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 09:24 AM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 75 Posts

Pretty much every dealer I talked to look your purchase history based on non gt cars or any cars off of their lots to decide if you are worthy of their gt3 allocations. Buying a new spyder at msrp doesn’t help much as they have no problem selling that car. I know one dealer even provided a roadmap to a guaranteed allocation on a gt3. It included a cayenne turbo hybrid, 911 targa gts/4s and a spyder all within a short period of time. So you get the picture. If you want a gt3T, just pay the adm and get one now. Easy and simple.
josephr25 (10-25-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 10:28 AM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Very valid points. Who cares if there a $25k ADM if the value holds up all the same over the ownership period. Bust as you pointed out, we are in such a time of price uncertainty that we just don't know. While $25k is not nothing (for me anyway), it also shouldn't break the bank for most people shopping these cars. So you don't get it all back. Maybe you still get some of it on resale?

If you keep waiting and waiting for the perfect time, perfect price, or perfect car, you may just end up with nothing.
Nobody is getting GT3’s at $25k ADM. Maybe $25k for a GT4/Spyder/GTS etc. Thinking the GT3 ADM’s are about $100k without a connection to a dealership.
manifold danger (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 12:11 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Unstock
Nobody is getting GT3’s at $25k ADM. Maybe $25k for a GT4/Spyder/GTS etc. Thinking the GT3 ADM’s are about $100k without a connection to a dealership.
My local dealers only sell MSRP to local customers, it is against their corporate policy to charge ADM. I'm not on the list as I just blew my wad on a Spyder but the idea is that they build relationships with their customers and they ask for the first right of refusal for any GT cars they sell as they want you to enjoy them and then trade it back in for your next GT car. What a concept!
DFW01TT (10-25-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 01:05 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Do what everyone else does. Sell it for a profit* and use your place in line for the car you actually want. It’s the Porsche way!

*Depending on state sales tax
the dealer that sells at MSRP , expects you to sell the car back to them probably for a little less than what the car is worth on the open market which I do believe is fair.
to get a GT3 in particular touring , you need a relationship with your dealer, and I think the Spyder is perfect for that
WHY:
lovely car
I think it will depreciate very minimally over the years
as compared for them asking you to buy a Panamera or Cayenne as a stepping stone . These cars depreciate quickly
so to me getting the Spyder is a win win situation
The following 3 users liked this post by pitt911:
axoo (10-25-2022), josephr25 (10-25-2022), MaddMike (10-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Blah about my upcoming Spyder…