Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Lightweight Bucket Seats (LWBS) Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2022 | 10:14 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
I wouldn't mind comfort access too. That's one tech option I like. But I tell me that in exchange for not having that they also made it so I don't need radar cruise or lane departure or a ton of other finicky tech crap I don't want on a sports car, so I can live with having to use a key. I'd prefer they have deleted the backup sensors, sirus wart, and TPMS sensors too. I haven't heard the backup sensors yet because it's not that type of car for me and TPMS ensors are pretty annoying when I can't permanently set my own PSI's I want to use (at least I haven't figured out how to yet).
by “not that type of car”, you mean a car that you put in reverse? A reverse-less transmission would likely as as much weight as the LWBs. Porsche, if you’re listening, reach out for info as to where you should send royalties.
The following users liked this post:
Bents (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022 | 10:20 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

TIL different people like different things.
Old 09-20-2022 | 10:47 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
by “not that type of car”, you mean a car that you put in reverse? A reverse-less transmission would likely as as much weight as the LWBs. Porsche, if you’re listening, reach out for info as to where you should send royalties.
I don't cram it into spots at the mall. It pretty much goes from my garage to tracks, or for a cruise and back into my garage.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
Larry Cable (09-21-2022), mr965 (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022 | 02:43 AM
Underblu
Banned

I have LWBS in my current Spyder and had them in my previous 2 Spyders. I couldn’t imagine the car without them. They are beautiful, comfortable and exude specialness. They were/are the 918 seat and Porsche only offers them on select models.

The only time I may have preferred the 18w sport seats is when I’ve been injured. That being said you should buy the seats that appeal to you regardless of what anyone thinks . Purist? What does that even mean in this context. These are water-cooled daily drivable sports cars with ABS, working heat and AC, stability control etc. Purist, lol. try driving an 84 Carrera around the Ring. That’s pretty pure and hardcore, Afaic, anyone who would seriously look down on someone for not having LWBS is the same type of joker who looks down on 718 (non 911) owners.
The following 3 users liked this post by Underblu:
absame (09-21-2022), UncleDude (09-21-2022), Zeus993 (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022 | 04:56 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Had the lwb on my gt3rs I DD for 3 years…

1) they suck getting in out of (biz partner called them the coffin)
2) they are not comfortable by any of my friends 2 cents after 10-15 mins
3) they look awesome
4) you don’t need a seat guard, after 7,300 daily miles over about 3 years it looked perfect still with no protection
5) 1 of the reason I got tired of driving this car and sold it, I’m low 30’s good shape and it’s still a pita tbh

Just Got my 718 gt4 manual 2 weeks ago with 2 way sofas

1) SO comfortable….I’m in love
2) amazing bolstering, will be more than enough
at track as I do a lot of hpde
3) About same weight as lwb
4) cost $5,900 less plus tax
5) no wtf in n out

my 2 cents….if you get an RS go for it or if you rarely drive. But Gt3/gt4, the 2 ways are AMAZINGGGGG!!!!

I just think it’s a shame to buy a normal Gt3 or gt4 and not daily it/drive as much as you can (as well as track)

p.s. the 718 gt4 manual is no joke 10x as fun as my 991.2 3rs on the streets and highways of LA, the 718 gt4 might be the most fun car ive ever had…
The following 5 users liked this post by welikethetrack:
absame (09-21-2022), c1pher (09-21-2022), josephr25 (09-21-2022), lowbee (09-21-2022), Rasputin. (09-25-2022)
Old 09-21-2022 | 09:27 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
I'm 5'8" 180lbs. I drove from Mpls to Monterey in buckets. I had zero issues. 2300 miles. I'm not saying this to be a tough guy. They were supportive and fine for 8 hours of driving a day. I'm in shape which I am sure helps but I just don't get the hate for buckets. If you want 18 ways get them it's your damn car!
While I agree with your sentiment, I think the crux of the issue is that most people would agree how awesome the LWBS look. However, there is a narrow range of people who are truly comfortable like you. While I am not daily driving my Boxster, I do take longer rides and my wife and I have different settings. I also appreciate the heat and ventilation which extends top down driving season for us. I think if there would a bit more manual adjustability, LWBS adoption would be much higher. Porsche has somewhat addressed this by allowing you to buy different inserts, but that’s less a problem than reclining and exit/entry IMO.

I do think the two way seats are also good, just less convenient if you have another person constantly changing the settings.
Old 09-21-2022 | 10:16 AM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

I suggest filing this topic in the same bin as the PCCB vs iron brakes and manual vs PDK discussions. Everyone has their opinion of what works best for their personal needs and desires. Just be glad Porsche offers the choices.
The following 4 users liked this post by m3bs:
absame (09-21-2022), AndyE1976 (01-18-2023), Larry Cable (09-21-2022), Mr. Adair (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022 | 10:17 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c1pher
I think if there would a bit more manual adjustability, LWBS adoption would be much higher.
But then that makes them not be LWB. Cool thing about them is they're about as close to a race seat as you can get from OEM, and I happen to find them very comfortable, even for a 1000 mile drive. Recline, etc., isn't what race seats do. Hell many don't even slide. I kinda wish they didn't have the electric up/down and instead required adjusting which screw hole got used. Of course many would need to take it to a dealer for that and Porch would want us to purchase some one-time-use nuts anytime they were adjusted

Last edited by enduro; 09-21-2022 at 10:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by enduro:
Avera (09-21-2022), Larry Cable (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022 | 10:39 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

@Visceral but seriously, I initially found entry and egress... difficult... but now I have my method down, and I don't find entry and exit too difficult. Involves doing ~a dip putting left hand on the bolster or door kick plate, right hand on bolster. Pop myself up like I'm on parallel bars, feet out, shuffle hands, right hand on kick plate or left bolseter, stand up. I never park this car near other cars, and if I do park it in a tight spot, like my traier or putting it on the lift, I slide the seat all the way back. Key is put in the ignition before entering, and removed last thing before closing door. Good use for left hand key. I'm in good shape, so no biggie. Sounds like an ordeal, but it's second nature now.

If I still have this car in my 70s, I'll still be giving my out of warranty hips, knees, shoulders a work out. Or I may just stop caring about the condition of top of the bolster material. For a sports car, I'm 98% bucket, 2% sofa. Benefits are too much. Any time I get in another car now, I wonder if I just fell into a la-z-boy, really didn't know what I was missing. Also, now that I've been in some actual race buckets (with neck safety), I see where these land, and IMO Porsche did a very good thing by making these available in a current form on a street car. Very good compromise. It was a big selling point for me vs an Evora GT. What we need now is a removable steering wheel included with the option package, that'd remove about 60% of the difficulty, assuming one sets appropriately close to the wheel

Last edited by enduro; 09-21-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2022 | 10:49 AM
NewKidinTown
Advanced

Next time I want to make a Troll post that gets major traction, I will just make a snarky comment about seats.
Larry Cable (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022 | 11:02 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

It seems those who own the 2-way or 18-way seat enjoy them

It seems those who own the CF bucket seats enjoy them

Funny how that seems to work out

There are going to always be a few outliers who bought one or the other and wish they made a different choice

So there is not much debate about which is 'better' . . . only options and choices made according to preference

As another member mentions above, same is true for manual vs PDK and many similar topics

Avera
The following 2 users liked this post by Avera:
absame (09-21-2022), Larry Cable (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022 | 11:27 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Visceral
I see a ton of shade thrown to folks who order the 18-ways. They're not "hardcore" or "purists" or they don't pass some Porsche test. As a bucket owner and future orderer, I think it should be said that LWB seats are NOT perfect, and often leave 95% of us wondering if sofas would have been easier.

You pull into a tight parking spot, the door only opens a foot or two. How the %^$# are you going to get out?
It's been a good day. Your leg workout went well, but now you're sore. Time to get into our buckets. Do we just fall into the seat?
I've just bought a new car and within 400 miles I've noticed that I'm absolutely beating the hell out of the outside bolster getting in and out. I need to spend another $625 to make these seats work long term?

Oh, buckets. I love them but I'm honestly 51% bucket, 49% 18-ways.
Visceral,

You .......... Sir are a Very-very brave fellow.

Before I ordered my 2021 Cayman GT4 I took the time and I will add a LOT of Time to do the following regarding the Porsche LWB seats.
I watched Every YouTube video I could find and also purchased every Magazine on the GT4 which Always had comments on the Porsche LWB seats.
I even placed orders for the (Back-GT4 Issues).
Also of course went On-Line and did my Research so NOT to miss anything on the Porsche LWB seats.

I loved the way those seats looked and even though for me they seemed Super-Expensive I still was thinking to myself.
Man, these LWB seats are the $hit !!!

Then as I kept watching the videos and the Magazines plus the On-Line Reviews.
I soon found out that the Porsche LWB seats might be just the thing if ????
You were going to TRACK the GT4 and or Spyder.

I wasn't ready just yet to give-up.

So I figured keep watching, reading and researching until you reach the point that you are confident with what to do.

In the end there was Zero-Doubt I'd be CRAZY for a guy 77-years old and only driving my GT4 on the STREET to order it with the Porsche LWB seats.

I went with the 18-Way Bucket-Seats and my (Opinion) is .......................
Sure if your TRACKING the GT4 or Spyder "Frequently" then sure go with the Porsche LWB seats.
But ................
If they, GT4 & Spyder are simply going to driven on the street and NOT-Tracked but you wish for maximum comfort the 18-way seats are the only practical choice.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 09-22-2022 at 12:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
absame (09-21-2022), adeland (09-21-2022), jimdillard (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022 | 11:40 AM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

I can't imagine a Porsche GT product, at least my own, without them. Part of the experience. I know there are better aftermarket solutions out there, but don't really want to mess with that
Larry Cable (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022 | 11:50 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by c1pher
While I agree with your sentiment, I think the crux of the issue is that most people would agree how awesome the LWBS look. However, there is a narrow range of people who are truly comfortable like you. While I am not daily driving my Boxster, I do take longer rides and my wife and I have different settings. I also appreciate the heat and ventilation which extends top down driving season for us. I think if there would a bit more manual adjustability, LWBS adoption would be much higher. Porsche has somewhat addressed this by allowing you to buy different inserts, but that’s less a problem than reclining and exit/entry IMO.

I do think the two way seats are also good, just less convenient if you have another person constantly changing the settings.
Fair point. I remember a local Porsche guru showing me many years ago "how" to get in a car with buckets. From that day on piece of cake..
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Adair:
jimdillard (09-21-2022), Larry Cable (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022 | 03:48 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

I have a driver side bucket and a 2 way passenger seat for my wife. Only downside is aesthetics for those who can’t stand mismatched seats but it’s perfect for us. I can also swap the driver seat back for road trip if desired.

The really hard core track guys would move to a halo seat. LWB is not that great if a track seat but workable.

Last edited by vantage; 09-21-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Bucket Seats (LWBS) Discussion