Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS Mark Ups

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 11:35 PM
GainesvilleGT4
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

I know there’s a lot of folks here that can predict the future with their crystal *****, so here’s what mine says: The GT4RSs will be in short supply from now until eternity and the $75K ADM (average from what I hear) may drop a bit, or not, over the next year or 2 and then inflate. My crystal ball tell me that my GT4RS will shoot up to $200K over MSRP in 2024 or 2025. I give kudos to those who can time the market bottom, your prescience makes Warren Buffet look like a retail trader.

I think this car has a special place in Porsche history and is perfect for car guys like me who are more “car model” oriented rather than “car brand” enthusiasts. I like all Porsches, but the only model I would spend my money on are the Cayman derivatives. If I had a choice between the GT3RS or GT4RS at the same money, I’d take the GT4RS. God meant the engine to be in the middle.

It’s your money, you don’t have to spend $275K on a Cayman, but I guarantee when I sell mine, I’ll be in the black. My crystal ball just told me so.
The following 2 users liked this post by GainesvilleGT4:
Mr. Adair (09-21-2022), nikuhina (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:51 PM
Daytonars4
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GainesvilleGT4
I know there’s a lot of folks here that can predict the future with their crystal *****, so here’s what mine says: The GT4RSs will be in short supply from now until eternity and the $75K ADM (average from what I hear) may drop a bit, or not, over the next year or 2 and then inflate. My crystal ball tell me that my GT4RS will shoot up to $200K over MSRP in 2024 or 2025. I give kudos to those who can time the market bottom, your prescience makes Warren Buffet look like a retail trader.

I think this car has a special place in Porsche history and is perfect for car guys like me who are more “car model” oriented rather than “car brand” enthusiasts. I like all Porsches, but the only model I would spend my money on are the Cayman derivatives. If I had a choice between the GT3RS or GT4RS at the same money, I’d take the GT4RS. God meant the engine to be in the middle.

It’s your money, you don’t have to spend $275K on a Cayman, but I guarantee when I sell mine, I’ll be in the black. My crystal ball just told me so.
You like what you like. But having seen the 3RS and 4RS in person…. I’m not sure many would choose the Cayman if both were the same price. I certainly wouldn’t. But I’m sure it’s opinions such as yours that will keep the ADM’s healthy on them, at least in the beginning. Similar to how the 2RS’s were $500k+ in the early days.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:29 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 720 Likes on 392 Posts

lol at this I’d bet you 100k it’s not half that at 100k over in 2024

I mean bragging your gonna be “in the black” on a depreciating asset is Cringe

good luck to you sir, I feel like you will need it
Old 09-21-2022, 01:49 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,021 Likes on 5,238 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
In all honesty the GT cars do carry massive margins, much more than a macan EV that is not out yet. So what was I going to do? Argue with him on a point he seems lost on? Margins on those will probably be similar to say a normal macan, mush less than the high end 911's.

200k GT3's are making them fat Ferrari margins, so will 180k GT4rs's...

If they will produce 100k cars in a given year, it would be smart to produce the ones that make the more money. This is not rocket science
GT cars have the lowest profits margins of any cars on the Porsche model range.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Mavzyx (09-21-2022), Mr. Adair (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 07:11 AM
Andrewpiper
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

This clearly is a very first world problem BUT the thing I find the most annoying is the factory are complicit in all of this!! There is a full sticker price for a reason. The dealer has margin in that and that's it..None of this 100k crap on top. Man alive these main dealers must be rolling in it!!
Clearly they have a captive audience as people are paying their extortionate prices.
I'd have a pre loved GT3 RS on every day of the week instead... I'd even slum it back to 2016...lol
Old 09-21-2022, 11:41 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Exactly. This is why dealers are trying to hold on to as much ADM as they can on GT cars. They are not receiving enough inventory on bread and butter models. Their life blood.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:19 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Hard to take your crystal ball seriously.....and obviously biased.
Let me get this straight....you've never owned a GT3RS and never driven a GT4RS for that matter, correct?

Secondly...how is a GT4RS better meant for a 'car model oriented person' like yourself vs. brand oriented person such as me?
Yes, I'm confident to have more seat time in a GT car than your limited GT4 timeframe.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:34 PM
GainesvilleGT4
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Hard to take your crystal ball seriously.....and obviously biased.
Let me get this straight....you've never owned a GT3RS and never driven a GT4RS for that matter, correct?

Secondly...how is a GT4RS better meant for a 'car model oriented person' like yourself vs. brand oriented person such as me?
Yes, I'm confident to have more seat time in a GT car than your limited GT4 timeframe.
Cool.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:36 PM
GainesvilleGT4
Instructor

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
lol at this I’d bet you 100k it’s not half that at 100k over in 2024

I mean bragging your gonna be “in the black” on a depreciating asset is Cringe

good luck to you sir, I feel like you will need it
Very easily solved, we'll see in 3 years.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:13 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

I'm willing to bet your data is old, real old, probably from 997s or something.

If Porsche is making more profit per unit off a base macan than a GT2RS they're cooking the books because they average 20g a unit profit and they're not making 20g off a base macan. Other German manufacturers average around 6g per unit profit selling competition for base macans.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:33 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,021 Likes on 5,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I'm willing to bet your data is old, real old, probably from 997s or something.

If Porsche is making more profit per unit off a base macan than a GT2RS they're cooking the books because they average 20g a unit profit and they're not making 20g off a base macan. Other German manufacturers average around 6g per unit profit selling competition for base macans.
No one is arguing with you.

I'm just telling you the facts.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:51 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Margin is usually expressed as a percentage AFAIK. So, by that definition, GT cars can have a lower profit margin but yet bring in a higher profit $ amount.
The following 2 users liked this post by ExMB:
Anu2g (09-22-2022), Snowy999 (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 08:35 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,141 Posts

No one is arguing with you.

I'm just telling you the facts.
Also, the expected warranty claims would need to be part of the equation for evaluating actual profit.

I had my transmission replaced, which was about a 35k claim. I bet Macans don’t have claims like that too often.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:51 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Margin is usually expressed as a percentage AFAIK. So, by that definition, GT cars can have a lower profit margin but yet bring in a higher profit $ amount.
But the real evaluator is number of cars * profit per car. People may not like it, but the demand for a Macan is tons higher than a 4RS.
Old 09-22-2022, 01:56 PM
gulfblu
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Porsche plans on building 7000 GT4RS, they can produce and sell this engine until 2026 translation they can/will keep selling the gt4RS for 1 or2 year overlap with the electric Cayman. Porsche overlapped 997.2 gts and turbos with 991 model year and 991.1 turbos with 991.2 etc etc They have a strong history of overlapping generation models. My guess is gt4rs will be avail without ADM before they reach 7000K production run. the gt4RS is so loud it's never going to be a daily driver, people will develop hearing loss and tinnitus from daily driving. I have tinnitus from seeing too much live music it's no fun even though the live music was a blast. If they are building 7k gt4rs how many GT3RS will they build?

here are the sources for the 7000k gt4rs

https://www.autodaily.com.au/2022-po...gt4-rs-review/

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsch...rs-2022-review

Quick Reply: GT4RS Mark Ups