Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Wrinkles in dash leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 10:43 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,249 Likes on 700 Posts

Def check to see if you have any interior pics from delivery day to compare. The spot looks interesting, almost like something heavy was pushed up against that area for an extended amount of time. Can't imagine what. But I'd def check with your SA if you can. I can't imagine Porsche wouldn't be willing to cover something like thuis especially since they are known for their build quality.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:23 PM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 64 Posts

My opinion is that you don't need to overthink whether it came like this at delivery or it happened after. It's clear as day to me that it's a defect that should be covered by warranty. It's not out of the dealer's pocket. They actually profit from the warranty work. It's only out of pocket for the dealer if something ambiguous is not covered by warranty and the dealer decides to cover the repair cost as a goodwill. Good luck w/ the repair/replacement.

With that said, it's probably a good idea to use a windshield shade thingy as a precaution when parked outside in Dallas summer heat.

Last edited by RedCarrot; 06-06-2022 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:11 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,346 Posts

Search this forum for another thread where someone reported wrinkles and creases in their leather dash. I cannot recall the outcome but you could PM the OP.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:56 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

My driver side 18-way seat had creases from the factory in the shoulder area They were mild and I had waited over a year for the car so I was not about to refuse delivery. I took it to the dealer. Porsche would not warranty this. They say that leather is a natural material and is prone to imperfections. This is explicitly stated in the warranty booklet. I am living with it, but the creases have worsened slightly over time. I can try an independent upholstery shop or try again with Porsche. Irritates me, but not a huge deal in the scheme of things.

I personally think it is a design flaw. The combination of Alcantara and leather sewn together makes it more likely for the leather to deform as the Alcantara fabric gets stretched.

Last edited by VVG; 06-07-2022 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:23 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

You need to drive faster, so that you can't look at the dash. It will mysteriously dissappear as your speed increases and your knuckles go white.

The following users liked this post:
Chrismalberts (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 09:53 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Crickets two days later after I sent the above pic to the service advisor.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:02 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

It would be good for our resident leather expert to look at this. @drcollie could this be improved by way of a hair dryer?
Old 06-07-2022, 10:04 AM
popcornten
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

This has me reconsidering the leather dash even more. They all start to separate and pull away from the dash at the base of the windshield after a few years. Now this, uh oh - too late now for me.

Definitely bring it to the dealer to look at and see what they can do. Even if it wasn’t there at delivery it shouldn’t happen a month in.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:09 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by popcornten
This has me reconsidering the leather dash even more. They all start to separate and pull away from the dash at the base of the windshield after a few years. Now this, uh oh - too late now for me.

Definitely bring it to the dealer to look at and see what they can do. Even if it wasn’t there at delivery it shouldn’t happen a month in.
That's a bit of an over-reaction and grossly exaggerated.
Zhao (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 10:40 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by popcornten

What? I just sold my 981 Spyder with a full leather dash and the extended leather. Obviously, it was a 2016 and had been in the Texas heat its whole life. That dash looked brand new after six years.
The following 4 users liked this post by MaddMike:
Adrift (06-07-2022), SmallCapTrader (06-07-2022), StilettoPat (06-07-2022), TXRubicon (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 10:51 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

Is anybody aware of anyone who has gotten any leather issue ever resolved through warranty? I don't know of anyone. As I previously stated, Porsche's take on this is that it is a natural material prone to imperfections.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:58 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Is anybody aware of anyone who has gotten any leather issue ever resolved through warranty? I don't know of anyone. As I previously stated, Porsche's take on this is that it is a natural material prone to imperfections.
I would agree if this were an "imperfection" of the material. This looks to be a workmanship issue with the adhesive. If it were an imperfection, it would have delivered this way. I know you're not defending the logic; I am just responding to Porsche's position.
smilin (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 11:20 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,125 Likes on 1,462 Posts

There's a couple of things at play here. YES - Leather is a natural material from dead cows and appx 22 - 28% of all hides have a salvage area or waste that cast off, typically from the belly and neck areas of the cow. The leather scanners at Porsche and many leather upholstery companies are very sophisticated now and scan the hide before cutting it - grading it into A / B / C / D use, and the dash would be considered an "A" area, no flaws. "B" would be on a seatback area for example, "C" might be for something like floormat edges and "D" is waste to go into the dump bin or used as samples sent to customers, etc. Here's a hide going into the scanner/cutter at Hancock and Moore Furniture in North Carolina - took these photos on one of my many trips to their facility.. You can see the worker loading the hide into the bed of the machine, then the computer display as the scanner is preparing to mark the areas for quality and placement, and finally the pieces as they come off the bed, The reddish 6" x 8" rectangles are "D" grade and used as dealer swatches. Porsche AG has a very similar machine to this.

So that pretty much covers the "Natural Material to be Expected" argument, Only an "A" Grade would be used in that location on the dash. No wrinkles, no stretch marks, and no flaws. This leather was not like that when it was stitched, the sewer would have rejected it.

Porsche, and all other makers, use an adhesive to glue the leather to the dash. In my opinion, your adhesive in that area has lost some of its grip and then the leather becomes looser, resulting in those wrinkles appearing. That's almost certainly a warranty item, you may just have to step up your claim a bit to the next level, or even get the Porsche USA Regional Rep involved. Don't let the dealer blow you off on that, those of us in the biz know its a glue issue. Porsche use a roller in that area to press on the leather for contact, and sometimes there is just not good contact saturation between the glue and hide, and as the vehicle goes through a few interior heat cycles, you will see a those wrinkles like you have now, it's a contact adhesive thing. It probably will never get any worse, actually - but its unsightly right now and in a prime visual area.

Fun Fact. You will almost never see that on a USA-made vehicle, because one thing we do in country really well is make good glues and adhesives. When you do see leather lifts, its almost always in a European Car., they just don't have the good glues we have here in the States.

Last edited by drcollie; 06-07-2022 at 11:24 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by drcollie:
Adrift (06-07-2022), DP8 (06-07-2022), Noah Fect (06-08-2022), slilley (06-08-2022), SpeedySpidey (06-08-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 11:20 AM
popcornten
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
That's a bit of an over-reaction and grossly exaggerated.
Yes I’m being a bit dramatic, but not much. Not a Porsche dealer but I have two Porsches trades in stock with leather dashes. Cayenne and GT3. Both have leather pulling away from the glass and separating. I have had many cars in stock previously with the same issue.

The trouble is there’s no real fix for it, the cheapest option still requires removing the windshield and our interior guy admits is temporary short of replacing the whole dash.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:36 AM
LexVan
Banned

Thanks @drcollie

@Adrift you should call PCNA and file a claim. Get a File Case Number started. If you strike-out at the dealership level, contact me via PM, and I'll get you in contact with the right people, at the Executive level in Atlanta. But first work the process with your dealership and a simple phone call to PCNA customer service.
MaddMike (06-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Wrinkles in dash leather