Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Clear Bra Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 10:48 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,871 Likes on 782 Posts

Another vote for Moe. He is the king.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:14 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,346 Posts

How much did you pay for the job? What kind of film was used?
Old 06-04-2022, 10:42 AM
orclean1
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

IMO visit the installer that did ya wrong with a few of your buddies and get all ya money back , and I mean like 6 buddies .
Old 06-04-2022, 11:09 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
How much did you pay for the job? What kind of film was used?
The film is Expel.

I am hesitant to discuss pricing etc at this point as I am afraid this will head only in that direction. Before any of this happened the job was approximately $4,000.

I was hopeful on getting some excellent shop recommendations in the Los Angeles area to have the scratch repaired.

Last edited by 996toomey; 07-16-2022 at 07:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bham (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 11:21 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,615 Likes on 2,060 Posts

As a minimum I’d get the shop to repair the scratched panel; it will be expensive.

Take it to a Porsche Approved Collision Center for the work; the shop should have insurance for this.

How much energy/effort/expense (including legal) is up to your threshold for such activity.

Diminished Value? That’s usually an insurance payout so would that be your insurer? Take pictures for future consideration.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:40 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
As a minimum I’d get the shop to repair the scratched panel; it will be expensive.

Take it to a Porsche Approved Collision Center for the work; the shop should have insurance for this.

How much energy/effort/expense (including legal) is up to your threshold for such activity.

Diminished Value? That’s usually an insurance payout so would that be your insurer? Take pictures for future consideration.
If I decide to get the scratch repaired I will not be running it through any insurance.

So if it was your car you would be comfortable having it repaired as opposed to leaving it for any potential paint work diminished value?

Really trying to just stay focused on the few questions I had in the original post. Sometimes the fix is worse than the existing problem and opens up another can of worms.

I am comfortable on getting resolution on my own with the shop that did the damage.

Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited by 996toomey; 06-04-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:02 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,615 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Originally Posted by 996toomey
If I decide to get the scratch repaired I will not be running it through any insurance.

So if it was your car you would be comfortable having it repaired as opposed to leaving it for any potential paint work diminished value?

Really trying to just stay focused on the few questions I had in the original post. Sometimes the fix is worse than the existing problem and opens up another can of worms.

I am comfortable on getting resolution on my own with the shop that did the damage.

It appears from your one photo the scratch near the vent is quite deep and visible. Personally I couldn’t look at that every day, so I would get it repaired professionally.

I also wouldn’t worry about diminished value over my enjoyment of the car.

However, if the shop acknowledges their error and you are working with their insurance I would definitely push for DM. How much for a scratch, talk to a DV expert — may not be much or any.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:11 AM
DIS295
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 51 Posts

I've done one install of PPF, and it was Expel on my 21 bgts. I had gotten some PPF before the install and quickly realized you shouldn't cut it on the car, so I got pre-cut pieces.

Typically, after install of a panel, I would find some areas where the install fluid had aggregated forming a bubble. It took upwards of a week for them all to disappear, and they all did. Having pre-cut I also didn't have to try to remove vents etc, so no paint damage. There were some areas I cut my own PPF, but it was all measured, measured, measured, then cut on a table, before install. It can be done. No reason for jagged edges.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:48 AM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 308 Posts

An entire car for $4000 should have been the first red flag.

I hope you get this sorted out so you can be happy with the car.
Airbag997 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 12:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Minor paint work doesn’t diminish value. Just document the work. Lots of cars get minor repairs like that at the port and the buyer doesn’t even know it. Fix it right and move on.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:14 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Minor paint work doesn’t diminish value. Just document the work. Lots of cars get minor repairs like that at the port and the buyer doesn’t even know it. Fix it right and move on.

Writing not my strong suit. I made a mistake in my OP about a fully protected car from day one. What I meant to say was fully protected front.

To be clear the job included full front, a pillars, mirrors, rockers, and rear bumper. The job was not the whole car.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:17 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sgreer78
An entire car for $4000 should have been the first red flag.

I hope you get this sorted out so you can be happy with the car.
Qouted wrong post above.

Writing not my strong suit. I made a mistake in my OP about a fully protected car from day one. What I meant to say was fully protected front.

To be clear the job included full front, a pillars, mirrors, rockers, and rear bumper. The job was not the whole car.
sgreer78 (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 05:25 PM
Ocdrob
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Ive been in a similar situation. I had a ppf installer put a razor mark across both fenders and the entire hood on a new Rubicon a few years ago. The installer took full responsibility and paid for the hood and fenders to be repainted. I chose a very highly regarded shop to do the repaint and the repair came out perfect. Needless to say I was sick to my stomach when this happened as Im sure you are also. The good news is if you find the right people to fix the problems the car will be back to perfect when all is done.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:33 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 183 Posts

It really is not too bad cutting the PPF on the car, you just have to to know what you are doing. I am just after putting PPF on one of my cars and practiced several times cutting it before I was confident trimming it on the car.
The only way you would cut through the film and the paint is, if you apply considerably more pressure than what's needed. With a new blade, you barely put any pressure and it cuts right through and through
If you paid via CC, you can always dispute the charges.

Last edited by C2 Turbo; 06-05-2022 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:48 PM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 164 Posts

I personally go to Aerowerkz. They have done multiple of my cars and have always came out perfect. I am close to Pasadena if you want to see the work. They have also worked on bugattis/paganis and what not. Just tell them Anthony with the yellow GT4 sent you.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Nightmare