Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Clear Bra Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 10:49 PM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 164 Posts

deleted.

Last edited by SlickxAC; 06-05-2022 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:02 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,617 Likes on 2,061 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
It really is not too bad cutting the PPF on the car, you just have to to know what you are doing. I am just after putting PPF on one of my cars and practiced several times cutting it before I was confident trimming it on the car.
The only way you would cut through the film and the paint is, if you apply considerably more pressure than what's needed. With a new blade, you barely put any pressure and it cuts right through and through
If you paid via CC, you can always dispute the charges.
Typical PPF is 8 mils or .008 inches thick…I find it hard to believe hand cutting on a car can be that precise.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:16 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,076 Likes on 535 Posts

Pre cut templates available for most cars. Shouldn't need hand cutting on the car. It's too risky. Also I'd refrain from any disassembly of lights and door handles etc, its simply unnecessary if installer knows what they are doing.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:30 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
This is a nightmare. I'm currently getting estimates for PPF and Ceramic right now. My usual guy, who I've trusted for years, moved his business to San Francisco, so I'm casting around for someone new to try.
It's evident in your pics that you got a crap job on your beautiful new GTS.
I'd find someone to take it off and start fresh. Sadly, you're probably not going to get (all?) your money back from the first guy.
Talk to Mike at Impero Motorworks in West LA- Mike and his team are amazing!
Old 06-06-2022, 04:45 AM
Shawn Hong
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 72 Posts

have them compensate you for repairs and take it to your trusted bodyshop. Diamond hills collison center in diamond bar/walnut is a certified porsche shop. I’ve seen their work and they do an amazing job. In terms of resale not many people take paint meters to check and also depending on the location of damage tells the story. I wouldn’t worry about it to much. I would personally buy a car that was fixed then have visible damage. Also, remember if you decide to fix you need to let the paint air out before applying PPF again. If you PPF immediately you’ll have another set of issues due to the gasses that are released from fresh paint.

Aerowerkz does great work for PPF. Had my personal cars as well as friends take their car there. Currently working on a SVJ for me(not mine) Ask for Phillip, hes the owner. You can let him know Shawn referred you and he’ll take good care of you and will do the work himself. He did my rear PPF 3x before passing the key back to me because he wasn’t satisfied. Shows how picky he is and thats a good thing. He’s going to redo my right quarter next week due to some dmg i occured during tracking.

Lastly, if you want to replace headlights let me know. I get employee cost on Porsche OEM parts. I’ll help you if you need. But also take in account the scratch could be on the film of the headlight not the actual part itself. The film can be removed and buffed and PPF over it. This could also solve your headlight issue. Some PPF places done PPF headlights due to the film.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:45 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,249 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Typical PPF is 8 mils or .008 inches thick…I find it hard to believe hand cutting on a car can be that precise.
You would be surprised. Most pro vinyl wrapping shops use this technique and vinyl is even thinner so even more precision is needed. Essentially what you are actually doing is scoring the top layer of the film and then when you pull, the bottom layer breaks into a clean cut.

That being said, most PPF shops rarely cut on the paint as there's little reason too. A lot of shops will cut into the seams which there is more space and you can use the body line to guide your cut for a straight cut. Other shops use pre-cut PPF so no cutting except for slight trimming is needed.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:36 PM
nothingman
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 93 Posts

When I was looking to have my entire car PPF'd, I contacted Xpel directly who put me in touch with one of their reps. I asked them who the top installers in my area were, and they told me one of the top 3 installers in the entire country was in my area. I ended up going to the installer he recommended (All American Paint Protection near D.C.). They were a little pricey, but I've had countless compliments from people who can't find any seams or evidence the car is even wrapped.

Takeaway: Call Xpel and find out who the top installer is in your area.

Last edited by nothingman; 06-06-2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:49 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I sell you the Brooklyn Bridge for $10K
LOLLOLLOL

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Nightmare